World #5 GM Hikaru Nakamura and Rybka take on Stockfish! Live on Chess/TV and Open to ALL MEMBERS! Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Daily Puzzle Submissions! *Be Involved*

• 6 years ago · Quote · #101

puntwothree

'nother one. A little harder? At any rate, I think I'm done for now.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #102

puntwothree

couldn't resist. If you must choose one, try this puzzle as opposed to the one above.

*changes made*. Mate in 5, only one solution...(thanks likesforests)

• 6 years ago · Quote · #103

likesforests

puntworthree, your 8:01pm puzzle is not so good because there are two mates that are faster than yours: 4.Nc5+ Ka5 5.Ra7# (I spotted this one by eye) and 4.Nb8+ Ka5 5.Ra7# (I spotted this one double-checking with my computer).

Your 3:23pm puzzle is very nice. I've actually been reviewing pins this week.  :)

• 6 years ago · Quote · #104

puntwothree

Completely fictitious, time (and players no doubt) will tell how tactically sound the initial play *actually* is.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #105

likesforests

puntwothree> Completely fictitious, time (and players no doubt) will tell how tactically sound the initial play *actually* is.

I already provided provided two faster solutions, so your 8:01pm puzzle + solution is not a good candidate for the daily puzzle. After 4.Nc5+ Black is forced to play 4...Ka5, and then 5.Ra7# mates. This is a common way to use the knights to create a mating net. Play it out yourself or consult with your favorite chess engine and you will see.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #106

puntwothree

With all due respect, likesforests, I didn't edit the 8:01pm puzzle to come out with the 6-move mate I'd origonally proposed. This morning I noted that your notation was accurate (and that your mating route was therefore better than mine) and the new solution (if you click on the puzzle again) is one of the five move checkmates you suggested.

The reason for the extra bishop was to ensure that there was, in fact, only one five-move solution (not to come up with the solution I had wanted to begin with).

• 6 years ago · Quote · #107

likesforests

I agree your edited version of the 8:01pm puzzle is accurate and good. So people reading this thread later aren't confused, here's the original puzzle we were discussing:

[FEN "1k6/7p/5Np1/1p1N4/p6P/3P4/r3P1q1/2RK3R w - - 0 1"]

{Mate in 6} 1. Nd7+ Ka8 2. Rc8+ Kb7 3. Rc7+ Ka6 4. Nb8+ Ka5 5. Nc6+ Ka6 6. Ra7#

• 6 years ago · Quote · #108

sug_chess_puzzles

no i much prefer to submit my own thread of daily puzzles - i want too be seperate from the official puzzles from chess.com!

• 6 years ago · Quote · #109

gamefrikz

xalways wrote:
    Not my originality but i would like to share it with you all. An easy puzzle mate in 3.

I think you can mate in two if you move queen into c8, and then b7. is there a problem with that?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #110

sug_chess_puzzles

visit my puzzles in this forum section - they are called 'Sugsy's Puzzles'

• 6 years ago · Quote · #111

gamefrikz

forkman wrote:
    Here's a puzzle I made up. 

umm.... you can mate by Kd6 right away... and the rest of the puzzle don't make sense...

• 6 years ago · Quote · #112

gamefrikz

chessnoob1997 wrote:
    A puzzle with a few mistakes (how do u correct mistakes in the chess wizard??)

why not take the h5 pawn with the g5 rook to mate??

• 6 years ago · Quote · #113

sug_chess_puzzles

exactly all of these puzzles are inferior to my daily posts!

• 6 years ago · Quote · #114

gamefrikz

puntwothree wrote:

experimenting with pins and such...

hmm.... I thought of Kg5, followed with Rg8, then Qg7... works as an alternative right?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #115

puntwothree

gamefrikz: no, deffinately not (no offense). White may still win, but not in three moves, and not by your line. Kg5 leads to 1...Bxe5+, from which white's only moves (once the knight has moved) are king to g4 (mate in one for black) or f4. From there, black can avoid white's mate threat (Rxg8+; Qa,c8#) with a few checking options (of which Bxe4+ is probably the most promising).

• 6 years ago · Quote · #116

Greco

Good sequence of moves. Not that difficult.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #117

Yungtoon

I Was Thinkin Like Apple127 Forkman

• 6 years ago · Quote · #118

ciiiip

forkman wrote:

other way is 1.Cd6#

• 6 years ago · Quote · #119

chessmasterbilly999

forkman wrote:

1. Nd6#??? apple127 is right

• 6 years ago · Quote · #120

nick_p12

Regarding # 19..... Rh5# is a checkmate!

Post your reply: