Forums

Do You See Checkmate?

Sort:
Scottrf

It's not a mate in 3, or 5 as far as I can see.

jbird39

Scottrf is right. Kd7 is the fly in the ointment.

PortlandPatzer

was looking at the text in Italian and apparently it gives a solution for 5 moves instead of 3. Perhaps there is something else there?

eddysallin
jbird39 wrote:

Scottrf is right. Kd7 is the fly in the ointment.

rc8,kd7,rxq+,rxr,qe7 mat2

eddysallin
Scottrf wrote:

It's not a mate in 3, or 5 as far as I can see.

YOUR RIGHT.....

I stand corrected,thks. After kc6 b. is lost so continuations are not important.

Musikamole
Scottrf wrote:

Second one is a beauty.

Yes. It is a beauty, seeing that Black has the bishop pair on an open board, White is down an entire piece, and sacrifices his queen for mate. I mean, who wouldn't want to have a game end like that! Cool

BTW - You posted a very nice puzzle. Clever stuff. I saved it to my puzzle folder. Thanks! Smile

--------

I wonder if someone could reverse engineer this problem, approximate an opening that would lead to this puzzle? There might not be enough information in this puzzle to do it, but it would be very cool to see what miniature game this puzzle came from.

Fred Reinfeld does not list the games in the back, but the answers are in descriptive notation, and I am having no trouble with it. I thought descriptive notation would be hard to learn. Knowing that it is no big deal, I can now reconsider a few other classic books that are still in descriptive notation.

Example of descriptive notation: 1. QxBPch! RxQ 2. R-K8ch R-B1 3.RxRch KxR 4.R-K8 mate. Descriptive notation reminds me of an old James Bond film, forget which one, where there is a chess game, and you here things like Rook to Bishop 1.

Musikamole

I just did my first Chess.com Tactics Trainer problem for the day, and got it wrong. Puzzles like this drive me nuts. A 15 move sequence, rated at only 1225 (?),  to win material more than a pawn. Geez! Good Luck. 

eddysallin
pfren wrote:

White has one hundred ways to win. The only thing he should avoid is the cheapo trap 1.Rh4 Kg8 2.Rxh5? Rh1+! with a draw.

Most would not see this....u sure play this game !

lllllllll8888888
[COMMENT DELETED]
Musikamole
pfren wrote:

White has one hundred ways to win. The only thing he should avoid is the cheapo trap 1.Rh4 Kg8 2.Rxh5? Rh1+! with a draw.

Ahh...to have board vision like that!

x-5058622868
eddysallin wrote:
pfren wrote:

Most would not see this....u sure play this game !

That IM doesn't stand for I'm or I am. Wink

CharronSeb

1) 1-2 minutes

2)guess Rc2-C8

... after some thinking i tried with a cpu... only to get +16,97 in 16 move calculation

eddysallin
Musikamole wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Second one is a beauty.

nc7+,kf8,qd8+,bxq,re8 mate

Yes. It is a beauty, seeing that Black has the bishop pair on an open board, White is down an entire piece, and sacrifices his queen for mate. I mean, who wouldn't want to have a game end like that!

BTW - You posted a very nice puzzle. Clever stuff. I saved it to my puzzle folder. Thanks!

--------

I wonder if someone could reverse engineer this problem, approximate an opening that would lead to this puzzle? There might not be enough information in this puzzle to do it, but it would be very cool to see what miniature game this puzzle came from.

Fred Reinfeld does not list the games in the back, but the answers are in descriptive notation, and I am having no trouble with it. I thought descriptive notation would be hard to learn. Knowing that it is no big deal, I can now reconsider a few other classic books that are still in descriptive notation.

Example of descriptive notation: 1. QxBPch! RxQ 2. R-K8ch R-B1 3.RxRch KxR 4.R-K8 mate. Descriptive notation reminds me of an old James Bond film, forget which one, where there is a chess game, and you here things like Rook to Bishop 1.