Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Endgame Basics

• 6 years ago · Quote · #1

TheGrobe

The following position arose in a game I played today:

Black, instead of capturing the white pawn for the easy win, rushed to promote his instead resulting in the position in the puzzle below with white to move and draw:

• 6 years ago · Quote · #2

Qxe8

Very nice. I was about to post that it was a draw once black took the c pawn, but that's when i realised the direction the pawns were going XD However 63.Qa8! wins. The white king has no squares and thus must push his pawn, when the win is easy.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #3

TheGrobe

So it does -- what a subtle difference the respective king positions, and the fact that black is promoting a rook pawn (either would work) makes.  I did not see this, thankfully, neither did my opponent -- I gladly entered a losing pawn race comfortable that my pawn being a bishop's pawn secured the draw -- not so in this position.  Nice catch guys.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #4

TheGrobe

Here's an interesting question then, is it still a draw after white plays 63. Qb7?

I think it is as any move that doesn't compell the white king to move arrives at the basic setup that resulted in a draw above (after white plays c7), but the pawn sheilds the Queen from ever being able to arrive on a8 after check or pining the pawn to compell the king to b6.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #5

bondiggity

According to online tablebase, both a3 and Kxc4 is mate in 11.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #6

dsarkar

Here is the strategy - black queen gives check till white pawn is pinned or white king is in front of pawn - then black king advances. This goes on till the black king is near enough for mate or capture of the pawn - preferably with opposition (and avoiding stalemate).

• 6 years ago · Quote · #7

TheGrobe

That only works if the pawn in question isn't a bishop's pawn.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #8

TheGrobe

Incidentally, in the position in the latest diagram, correct for black is 63....Kb5.  From there it's over shortly.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #9

Qxe8

Wow, this position is full of suprises. 63.Kb7 is tricky, but black has another trick.

If white tries to stalemate himself in the corner, black moves the queen to protect the queening square and attacking the pawn, forcing the mate.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #10

phmilet

You mean 63. Kb7 ? 63. Kb7 also leads to a win for black. There are basically two ways for black to win. An easy way, and an "interesting" way.

Easy: 63. ... Qh1 64. Kb6 {forced. If 64. Kc7?, 64. ... Kb5 wins} Qh3! 65. Kb7 Qf3 66. Kb6 Qf5 67. Kb7 Qb5+ and black wins.

Not so easy: 63. ... Kb5! 64. c7 Qa6+ 65. Kb8 Qb6+ 66. Ka8 Qc6+ 67. Kb8 Kb6! 68. c8=Q Qd6+! 69. Ka8 Qa3+ 70. Kb8 Qa7#

68. c8=N+ is no good, for 68. ... Ka6 69. Nd6 {forced} Qxd6+ and black wins.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #11

vsarun

I dont understand why it necame a draw. can anyone put it up on a board?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #12

TheGrobe

King + Pawn on seventh rank versus King + Queen can often draw because the pawn can be made "poison" by moving the King into the corner at the opportune time.  Here's a revision of the original puzzle without the flaw to illustrate:

• 6 years ago · Quote · #13

TheGrobe

Incidentally, if White's pawn were not a Bishop's pawn, the strategy that dsarkar outlined is correct -- continue to deliver check until you can force the White King in front of the White Pawn and use the opportunity to move your king closer.  Repeat until the King is close enough to assist in capturing the pawn or delivering checkmate.

It should also be noted that if what had another pawn in the above diagram, on h2 for example, it would not be a draw anymore because the "poison" pawn could be captured and white would still have legal moves (h3 or h4 in this case).

Here's an example of the non-Bishop's Pawn strategy from another one of my older games:

• 6 years ago · Quote · #14

phmilet

TheGrobe, I'll beg to differ again. What you say about  Queen vs bishop pawn is generally true, but in this specific case black wins again. What an annoying player must this black piece guy be!

• 6 years ago · Quote · #15

phmilet

As for the second one, black could have offered a little more resistance with 53. ... Kg3 instead.

Besides, 60. ... Ke1 could get people nervous, but the calm reply 61. Kd3! (and please don't take the pawn ;) ) sorts it out.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #16

rucan120

In my opinion black should have captured the pawn first, for the easy win but since black chose to promote his pawn first he paid the consecuences

• 6 years ago · Quote · #17

TheGrobe

Phmilet, in the first diagram, what is wrong with 4. Kb7 for White?  It still looks like a draw to me.

As for the second I too was surprised that black offered to blockade his pawn so readily when 53. Kg3 was better.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #18

Loomis

rucan120 wrote:

In my opinion black should have captured the pawn first, for the easy win but since black chose to promote his pawn first he paid the consecuences

Classic.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #19

phmilet

TheGrobe wrote:

Phmilet, in the first diagram, what is wrong with 4. Kb7 for White?  It still looks like a draw to me.

As for the second I too was surprised that black offered to blockade his pawn so readily when 53. Kg3 was better.

Well the continuation for 4. Kb7 is exactly the one that is played in the diagram (keep pressing the forward button after 3. ... Qd7!)

If you mean 3. Kb7, then 3. ... Qd5! should do it.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #20

TheGrobe

After 5... Kb6 you comment "Now, if white queens, Qb7 is mate.".  This is simply not the case -- 6. c8=Q Qb7+ 7. Qxb7+ and white has won.  I maintain that it is a drawn position.

Post your reply: