Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Half a move??


  • 11 months ago · Quote · #21

    BigDoggProblem

    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    SecretOfMana wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:

    However, "Mate in one move" can mean either 1 or 2 plies. It's as correct as a joke problem can be.

    If the joke is based on non-chess terminology, in other words, a changed definition of a move in chess, then yes.

    Mate in one is always a one ply, because a player cannot mate himself.

    In a retro, it may black to move and every move he has falls into a mate. 2 ply for a mate in one.

    not much of a problem...

    I bet you have never seen one.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #22

    BigDoggProblem

    chesshole wrote:

    nobody says 'half-move,' 'half-move' is incorrect.  this is a 'mate in one'  i.e. 'one move'  BigDogg, 50 move rule refers to 50 moves on both sides.  they use that term to place emphasis on the 50th move for a player 'white or black' to claim a drawn position.  if they said '100 move rule,' it wouldn't reference a particular person's 50th move.

     

    'half-move,' however is non-sensical.  it is mate in 1, not mate in .5 moves.  half-move would reference the opponent's move after he has already been checkmated, which obviously makes no sense.

    Sorry, your post is not coherent enough for a reply.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #23

    chesshole

    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    chesshole wrote:

    nobody says 'half-move,' 'half-move' is incorrect.  this is a 'mate in one'  i.e. 'one move'  BigDogg, 50 move rule refers to 50 moves on both sides.  they use that term to place emphasis on the 50th move for a player 'white or black' to claim a drawn position.  if they said '100 move rule,' it wouldn't reference a particular person's 50th move.

     

    'half-move,' however is non-sensical.  it is mate in 1, not mate in .5 moves.  half-move would reference the opponent's move after he has already been checkmated, which obviously makes no sense.

    Sorry, your post is not coherent enough for a reply.

    well that was a reply.  i think what is really going on is that you don't have a good enough reply or won't admit you are wrong.  but that is a great strategy to save your ego ;)  Feel free to ask me to clarify specific sections, but i know you won't Tongue Out  Instead just pretend my post made absolutely no sense or that you are 10 times smarter than me.  

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #24

    crtexxx

    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    SecretOfMana wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:

    However, "Mate in one move" can mean either 1 or 2 plies. It's as correct as a joke problem can be.

    If the joke is based on non-chess terminology, in other words, a changed definition of a move in chess, then yes.

    Mate in one is always a one ply, because a player cannot mate himself.

    In a retro, it may black to move and every move he has falls into a mate. 2 ply for a mate in one.

    not much of a problem...

    I bet you have never seen one.

    1. e4 Nf6 2.Nf3 Ng8 3.Ng5 Nf6 4.Qf3 Ng8 5.Bc4: Now it is black to play and mate in 2 (plies). A very deep problem! I bet you cannot solve it. lol


    On the other hand, if you're talking about self mate problems, I've seen plenty of those.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #25

    BigDoggProblem

    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    SecretOfMana wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:

    However, "Mate in one move" can mean either 1 or 2 plies. It's as correct as a joke problem can be.

    If the joke is based on non-chess terminology, in other words, a changed definition of a move in chess, then yes.

    Mate in one is always a one ply, because a player cannot mate himself.

    In a retro, it may black to move and every move he has falls into a mate. 2 ply for a mate in one.

    not much of a problem...

    I bet you have never seen one.

    1. e4 Nf6 2.Nf3 Ng8 3.Ng5 Nf6 4.Qf3 Ng8 5.Bc4: Now it is black to play and mate in 2 (plies). A very deep problem! I bet you cannot solve it. lol


    On the other hand, if you're talking about self mate problems, I've seen plenty of those.

    "No" would have saved you so much typing. :)

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #26

    Irjene

    A swear finish castling checkmate

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #27

    crtexxx

    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:
    crtexxx wrote:
    SecretOfMana wrote:
    BigDoggProblem wrote:

    However, "Mate in one move" can mean either 1 or 2 plies. It's as correct as a joke problem can be.

    If the joke is based on non-chess terminology, in other words, a changed definition of a move in chess, then yes.

    Mate in one is always a one ply, because a player cannot mate himself.

    In a retro, it may black to move and every move he has falls into a mate. 2 ply for a mate in one.

    not much of a problem...

    I bet you have never seen one.

    1. e4 Nf6 2.Nf3 Ng8 3.Ng5 Nf6 4.Qf3 Ng8 5.Bc4: Now it is black to play and mate in 2 (plies). A very deep problem! I bet you cannot solve it. lol


    On the other hand, if you're talking about self mate problems, I've seen plenty of those.

    "No" would have saved you so much typing. :)

    It's fine. I'm the one of the fastest! U should check out my coaching thread. Typed that up that first post in just a few minutes.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #28

    JajaTuje

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 9 months ago · Quote · #29

    JajaTuje

    If it's going to be 0-0 as whites move the question is what the last black's move was???


Back to Top

Post your reply: