Forums

Hard Puzzle 1

Sort:
EpicZone777

Here is a chess puzzle that is very hard. 

Loyd 1903(Mate in Three. Sorry for people if you already seen it.)

(Puzzle from Chessmaster 10th Edition.)

Apachimous
[COMMENT DELETED]
robtaussig

That board style is hard on the eyes!

oscfan132

hey, would someone mind running through some ideas of what the mate in 3 is if black doesn't promote to a queen? I would expect there is a mate no matter what, but i have no idea how it would work if black did, say f1=N+. If white bocks with the rook, black takes the knight, cutting a hole in the net. if white runs to d3, black can check him without being checkmated by the block, dragging it on for several more turns at least. No doubt I'm missing something, but i'd like to know exactly what.

EpicZone777
gramarnazi wrote:

That board style is hard on the eyes!

gramarnazi-

What kind of board color or piece type (or both) do you like for my next puzzle?

xie1995

it took me 15 seconds to find the king

so ya, change your board

killer-2

classic pieces is best

hamedia

pjust put the standard, cant understand a @#$@#$ here

Chess4001

Really hard to figure out the pieces, really.

linkumbink

the board and pieces were a little hard to distinguish, a little more like what we use for chess.com and it might be easier to understand.

zerobounds

if you do the 3d board, the other color option is easier on the eyes, this burnt look is hard to follow. I like the 3d board though, i use it for my online games.

cool puzzle, i didnt even think about moving the king.

DangCit

It is an interesting puzzle, but it's not really mate in 3 as far as I can tell.  Still like the idea of moving the King and setting up a the mate.

EDIT:  Doh!  "As far as I can tell" isn't far enough ;) if Qxf6 then Bc4#.  As I said before, nice puzzle.

cobra91
oscfan132 wrote:

hey, would someone mind running through some ideas of what the mate in 3 is if black doesn't promote to a queen? I would expect there is a mate no matter what, but i have no idea how it would work if black did, say f1=N+. If white bocks with the rook, black takes the knight, cutting a hole in the net. if white runs to d3, black can check him without being checkmated by the block, dragging it on for several more turns at least. No doubt I'm missing something, but i'd like to know exactly what.

1...f1=N+  2.Rf2+  Kxe4  3.Bd3#

1plus1is4
DangCit wrote:

It is an interesting puzzle, but it's not really mate in 3 as far as I can tell.  Still like the idea of moving the King and setting up a the mate.

EDIT:  Doh!  "As far as I can tell" isn't far enough ;) if Qxf6 then Bc4#.  As I said before, nice puzzle.

Why did you give away the puzzle!!!!

And the board and pieces are easy to see!

Starman_Skullz
xie1995 wrote:

it took me 15 seconds to find the king

so ya, change your board

15 seconds?!?

PKJoshi

Isn't this mate in two. (1. Bc6+ Kd4 2. Rf3#). Correct me if I am wrong.

TomBarrister
PKJoshi wrote:

Isn't this mate in two. (1. Bc6+ Kd4 2. Rf3#). Correct me if I am wrong.

1 Bc6+ Kd4, 2 Rf3+ e5