Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Horror story


  • 12 months ago · Quote · #1

    caveatcanis

    I was feeling happy as Black - I had won a pawn in the opening and had just castled, catching up on development.

    White's next move came as a very nasty shock ...

     
    The real horror is that White, after playing magnificently,  lost this game by overlooking a mate-in-one.
  • 12 months ago · Quote · #2

    GSHAPIROY

    Is something wrong with 1. Bh6?

    Anyway - what's the "horror" story?

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #3

    caveatcanis

    GSHAPIROY wrote:

    Is something wrong with 1. Bh6?

    Anyway - what's the "horror" story?

    1. Bh6 is what I was expecting. After 1...Ne8, White's attack fizzles out quickly. (Black can drive the bishop away with 2...Kh8.)

    1. Bc7 was definitely an unexpected horror, at least as far as I was concerned.

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #4

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:
    GSHAPIROY wrote:

    Is something wrong with 1. Bh6?

    Anyway - what's the "horror" story?

    1. Bh6 is what I was expecting. After 1...Ne8, White's attack fizzles out quickly. (Black can drive the bishop away with 2...Kh8.)

    1. Bc7 was definitely an unexpected horror, at least as far as I was concerned.

    Well:...



  • 12 months ago · Quote · #5

    caveatcanis

    2. Bh5 discourages 2... Kh8, but it doesn't actually threaten anything new. Black can also unravel his position with 2....Bd6:

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #6

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    2. Bh5 discourages 2... Kh8, but it doesn't actually threaten anything new. Black can also unravel his position with 2....Bd6:

     

    I said 3. Rxf7

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #7

    caveatcanis

    @GSHAPIROY You said 3. Rxf7 after 2... Kh8. That's in the notes. It leads to a roughly equal position after 3...Rxf7.

    After 3...gxh6?  4. Rxh7+ is imaginative but throws away White's advantage. 4...Kxh7 5. Qg6+ Kh8 6. Qxh6+ Kg8 7. Bg6? Rf7 8. Bxf7+ Kxf7 9. Qh6 Ng7 wins easily for Black. (White can draw by playing 7. Qxe6+ instead, but I don't think he can do better than that.)

    After 2...Bd6 - the main line in my diagram - 2...Rxf7? would lose immediately to 3...Bxg3.

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #8

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    @GSHAPIROY You said 3. Rxf7 after 2... Kh8. That's in the notes. It leads to a roughly equal position after 3...Rxf7.

    After 3...gxh6?  4. Rxh7+ is imaginative but throws away White's advantage. 4...Kxh7 5. Qg6+ Kh8 6. Qxh6+ Kg8 7. Bg6? Rf7 8. Bxf7+ Kxf7 9. Qh6 Ng7 wins easily for Black. (White can draw by playing 7. Qxe6+ instead, but I don't think he can do better than that.)

    After 2...Bd6 - the main line in my diagram - 2...Rxf7? would lose immediately to 3...Bxg3.

    I would play 3. Qg4 in your line then


Back to Top

Post your reply: