Forums

Mate in 1

Sort:
qixel

Xiangqi problem.  Blue to move and mate in one.  (Just thought I'd try to slip one by.  Don't ban me.  I won't do it again.Smile)

Nytik

Looks to me like there are two solutions... (western notation)

1. Ca1#

1. Cb1#

Or is there something wrong with that?

qixel
Nytik wrote:

Looks to me like there are two solutions... (western notation)

1. Ca1#

1. Cb1#

Or is there something wrong with that?

No, the cannon needs a screen to attack.

Sahist4

Sahist4

P5=6

Great, another 象棋 fan! Laughing Sorry about pics quality, I took them with my phone (motorola v980). It is Xiangqi board and pieces I made for myself (now, I only have to find someone to play it with :'( ).

Tiger-13

easy! i play chinese chess myself! move the blue chariot down to put the red king in checkmate! lololz so easy!

Sahist4

But, then red cannon on the second line can just take the chariot, no?

roland68
Tiger-13 wrote:

easy! i play chinese chess myself! move the blue chariot down to put the red king in checkmate! lololz so easy!

No, the red cannon(炮)on H1 can then take the chariot(車).

I think the solution is soldier(卒)on E2 to E1  (red General cannot take soldier as it would leave the two generals in alignment, which isn't allowed).

Gerstav

The cannon can take the soldier though. 

qixel

Sahist4 is correct (and he used the traditional Chinese notation of the move).  In chess notation it would be e2-f2 or just f2.  After the soldier (pawn) checks, the king cannot move to e1 because of the interesting rule in xiangqi that kings may not occupy the same file if there are no other intervening pieces.  It cannot move to g1 because it cannot leave the castle.  It cannot capture the soldier because it is protected by the rook.

Rd1 is incorrect because of the red cannon capture that Sahist4 indicated.

As Gerstav pointed out, e2-e1 also is incorrect because the red cannon can capture the soldier on e1.

Sahist4, I like your handmade set.

Thanks to everyone that participated.  I won't be putting anymore Asian chess problems up on the forum, but check my blog occasionally.  I'll try to have them there from time to time, including problems from my particular favorite, changgi (Korean chess).Smile

Amy

qixel

I forgot to mention that in this same problem, if it is red to move, he has a mate in 6.

CowboyNoel

May I post this puzzle to my blog? Giving you credit of course.

FromCN

i am not sure if you guys can read chinese character and i don't know the way you make notation, i think the right anwser is 卒5平6(move the blue central pawn(or soldier, i don't know how to call these pieces in english) to the right)

macer75

So... I'm getting the impression (not from this thread) that the OP used to be pretty famous. Can anyone who's been around for a while confirm whether that's true?