Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Mate in 2

• 5 years ago · Quote · #1

martyr786

This mate wont really work on more experienced chess players in two moves but it worked for me. The two free bishops can be tempting.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #2

chessbeginner77

Easy. What if the king moves to kh1 instead?

• 5 years ago · Quote · #3

martyr786

It would take a couple more moves to checkmate, thats why i said it won't work on more expreinced people.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #4

yeres30

martyr786 wrote:

It would take a couple more moves to checkmate, thats why i said it won't work on more expreinced people.

You got to demonstrate with an analysis your statement about "It would take a couple more moves to checkmate".  When you create a puzzle you, as the author, are obligated to demonstrate with an analysis the mate you claim. Thus if you say mate in a couple more moves you are obligated to show everyone how that "couple more moves to mate" is accomplished.

If you want to be a better player you need to learn how to analyse.  That is why creating a puzzle enables the author to see if his analysis is fool proof.  for example, in an actual game, when you calculate a mate in 3 you better be correct in your analysis because once you embark on a sacrifice that does not result in a mate in 3 you could  end up  losing instead of winning the game.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #5

martyr786

Hopefully this helps? You were absoulutely right yeres30. Not exactly couple of moves though; correct me if i made a mistake somewhere. :O
  • 5 years ago · Quote · #6

daxelson

martyr786 wrote:
    Hopefully this helps? You were absoulutely right yeres30. Not exactly couple of moves though; correct me if i made a mistake somewhere. :O

M786, there are a few problems with your analysis. On the main line you show, there's no need to bring the Knight into play; you have a mate Qxp#(g2) on black's move 41. Plus, the bishop check on one of your other lines would be met by 41. QxB.

Still not a bad puzzle - the Bf1 bishop move is not obvious, and does put some pressure on the white king.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #7

daxelson

And I think there's a forced mate in four. 38. . .Bf2+ 39. Kh1 Qc1+ 40. Kh2 Qg1+ 41. Kh3 Qh1#

Whoops, 39. Kh2 stops that . . .

• 5 years ago · Quote · #8

random-d

What's stopping white from playing Qh3 or Qf3 at anytime during that sequence?

• 5 years ago · Quote · #9

martyr786

@ randon-d and daxelson:

My mistake, nothing wrong with qh3, and thats why you need to bring in the knight to checkmate.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #10

martyr786

Oh nice one, didn't exactly see that.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #11

v4v4s

whites response to bf1 is kh2. it delays the inevitable due to blacks preponderance in material.

Post your reply: