Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Mate in 6


  • 13 months ago · Quote · #1

    shdu02

    I have a puzzle here.

    Mate in 6 (hard)

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #2

    firstdream

    On move 5, white old of took and it would be still force mate

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #3

    Sunshiny

    Not hard.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #4

    shdu02

    Sunshiny, it is the hardest puzzle I ever ever made up!

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #5

    shdu02

    Yeah, white could have taken the rook.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #6

    Sunshiny

    shdu02 wrote:

    Sunshiny, it is the hardest puzzle I ever ever made up!

    That doesn't make it a hard puzzle. Wink It was still fun though.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #7

    caveatcanis

    In the solution, 4. Rxf6 would force mate next move:

    4...Rxf6 5. Bxf6#; 4. ...Rd8+ 5. Rd6#; 4...Rg8 5. Rf8#; 4...h5 5. Rf7#

    There's also an alternative mate in 5, starting with 1. Ra8

    For example: 1... h6 2. Bxh6 g6 3. Qd4 f6 4. Qd7 Rd8 5. Rxd8#

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #8

    Sunshiny

    Thanks Caveatcanis. I knew i saw something with 4. Rxf6, but for whatever unknown reason, i didn't look further.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #9

    shdu02

    Sunshiny, see this http://www.chess.com/forum/view/more-puzzles/mate-in-2-whoever-solves-it-first-gets-a-trophy

    That I said easy instead of hard. Do you think that is easier?

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #10

    FancyKnight

    1. Bh6 g6 2. Qd4 f6 3. Qd7 Rf7 4.Ra8+ Rf8 5.Qg7#

    Less flashy, but faster by one move.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #11

    caveatcanis

    1. Bh6 Rd8+ is an annoying defence. That's why my line has 1. Ra8 first.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #12

    shdu02

    caveatcanis wrote:

    In the solution, 4. Rxf6 would force mate next move:

    4...Rxf6 5. Bxf6#; 4. ...Rd8+ 5. Rd6#; 4...Rg8 5. Rf8#; 4...h5 5. Rf7# 

    There's also an alternative mate in 5, starting with 1. Ra8

    For example: 1... h6 2. Bxh6 g6 3. Qd4 f6 4. Qd7 Rd8 5. Rxd8#I missed all this. Also for a rating of 1726, it would be more normal to notice this.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #13

    Sunshiny

    shdu02 wrote:

    Sunshiny, see this http://www.chess.com/forum/view/more-puzzles/mate-in-2-whoever-solves-it-first-gets-a-trophy

    That I said easy instead of hard. Do you think that is easier?

    It's a little trickier, whereas this puzzle's moves are more straightforward. I'd say that one is slightly harder, but still not hard. Yes, both puzzles involve at least one sacrifice, but the other puzzle goes a little against what a person believes. This puzzle has more moves, but more moves doesn't necessarily make a puzzle much harder. I've seen two and three move puzzles that seem impossible.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #14

    FancyKnight

    caveatcanis wrote:

    1. Bh6 Rd8+ is an annoying defence. That's why my line has 1. Ra8 first.

    2.Rd5 Rxd5+ 3. Kc4  and now there is no defense to both Qxg7 and Ra8. 3...Rc5+ 4. Kxc5 and mate next move.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #15

    caveatcanis

    FancyKnight wrote:
    caveatcanis wrote:

    1. Bh6 Rd8+ is an annoying defence. That's why my line has 1. Ra8 first.

    2.Rd5 Rxd5+ 3. Kc4  and now there is no defense to both Qxg7 and Ra8. 3...Rc5+ 4. Kxc5 and mate next move.

    Not after 4... Kf8 .

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #16

    shdu02

    caveatcanis, thanks. I thought that to, but for some reason I felt unconfident.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #17

    FancyKnight

    D'oh!

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #18

    FancyKnight

    For some reason the rook on f8 in the diagram made me not consider Kf8

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #19

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    In the solution, 4. Rxf6 would force mate next move:

    4...Rxf6 5. Bxf6#; 4. ...Rd8+ 5. Rd6#; 4...Rg8 5. Rf8#; 4...h5 5. Rf7#

    There's also an alternative mate in 5, starting with 1. Ra8

    For example: 1... h6 2. Bxh6 g6 3. Qd4 f6 4. Qd7 Rd8 5. Rxd8#

    Wow I totally miseed tjay!


Back to Top

Post your reply: