Forums

Puzzle from one of my tournament games

Sort:
Paristar

This is as position from a game  that i played recently in a tournament for players rated under 1500. I had the black pieces  Have fun solving it Smile

NinjaHedgehog

Hah thats a good one! Happy new year btw

milray101

I think you can simply do the rook move first, because the queen defending f3 is moot on the revealed check.

NinjaHedgehog
milray101 wrote:

I think you can simply do the rook move first, because the queen defending f3 is moot on the revealed check.

No, because the knight is checking the king so we have to eliminate him first.

RyanCko

Good job! If I were white I would have resigned after 1... Qxd5

RyanCko

Come to think of it, his only move was 2. Kh1.

Paristar

That is right by 2.Kh1 he escapes the checkmate. But his position is still lost. After 2...Qe5 I am threatening to take the b-pawn and the Rook on f1.

If white plays 3.Rg1 I am winning a pawn and the exchange by 3...Bxf2 because the rook has no save square to go  without to be captured by an Black peace. Black has material advantage of 1 Bishop an 1 pawn and a better position

If white plays 3.Re1 I am winning 2 pawns and have a good position by 3...Rg8 threatening to win the queen by an discovered attack through check.4.Rg1 Rxg1. White takes with the queen or he get checkmate(5.Kxg1 5.Qg5+ 6.Kh1 6.Qg2#)

After 5.Qxg1 Qxb2 the white queen is overloaded he has to cover the attacked A-Rook and the 2-times attacked f-pawn so that by ...6 Bxf2 wins the second pawn and has 2 Bishops and 2 pawns for a Rook and much better position. If the rook moves the a-pawn falls.The 2 Bishops are strong and the queenside pawns can easily march.

So I think it was right from my opponent to resign after 1...Qxd5 2.Qxd5 Tg8+

RyanCko

Didn't mean to challenge you:) Just wanted to point Kh1 out incase nobody else saw it.

MJDD

Nice