Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Reti Endgame Puzzle 1921

• 5 years ago · Quote · #1

AnthonyCG

This one is very difficult.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #2

Elubas

Although I find it aesthetically pleasing (and I've seen this one before), to be honest these moves for white aren't that hard to find. The real test would be to try to get into this position, and know by heart that it's drawn. But I mean what else are you going to try? Obviously advancing the pawn loses.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #3

AnthonyCG

Elubas wrote:

Although I find it aesthetically pleasing (and I've seen this one before), to be honest these moves for white aren't that hard to find. The real test would be to try to get into this position, and know by heart that it's drawn. But I mean what else are you going to try? Obviously advancing the pawn loses.

Yes but I think it would be more common for people to resign here or to make "the other move" and end up losing anyway.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #4

AnthonyCG

tonydal wrote:

It would be a lot more difficult if it wasn't the most famous pawn endgame in history.

Most people don't even study the endgame...

And besides I'd never seen it so I posted it. I guess I might as well have posted fools mate or something seeing as it's so easy... Undecided

• 5 years ago · Quote · #5

goldendog

Seeing this one again isn't so bad. It has aesthetic appeal, and like looking yet again at a pic of a pretty girl, it wears well.

We haven't had a "What's your favorite piece thread" for what seems like ages. Have we matured beyond that bit of nonsense finally?

• 5 years ago · Quote · #6

64_block_square

not difficult at all

• 5 years ago · Quote · #7

Elubas

I'm not a huge endgame fan but have seen this position many times.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #8

XavierPadilla

tonydal wrote:

It would be a lot more difficult if it wasn't the most famous pawn endgame in history.

I wasn't aware of that, so lucky me! I enjoyed it, thank you AnthonyCG for posting under the form of a puzzle.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #9

nimzovich

If you enjoyed AnthonyCG's share (I always do) on the Reti theme, consider looking at the post on the Reti & Anti-Reti positions.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/endgames/the-reti-positionand-the-anti-reti

Post your reply: