Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The best checkmatte ever


  • 22 months ago · Quote · #1

    BlessedStar

    who said you can't checkamte white just white bishops heres how you can!

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #2

    Scottrf

    How are you going to get 8 white bishops then?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #3

    BlessedStar

    by promoting them and letting the opponent let you

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #4

    RealDarren

    You only need 6 bishops in this example it seems.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #5

    BlessedStar

    RealDarren wrote:

    You only need 6 bishops in this example it seems.

    actually you need just 5

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #6

    RealDarren

    All promotions would have to be on white squares too.

    Tricky.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #7

    GBR99

    6. ...Kxf1, or must the black king be helping?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #8

    BlessedStar

    GBR99 wrote:

    6. ...Kxf1, or must the black king be helping?

    Oops I made a mistake in this puzzle thankyou for pointing this out

     

    the proper version is



  • 22 months ago · Quote · #9

    Asorski

    So you mean in this position: white mates in 8?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #10

    Gil-Gandel

    Sorry, best checkmate ever is still Clemenz vs Eisenschmidt, Dorpat 1862, White sacrifices his Queen so two white Knights mate the black King behind two black Knights.

    Ed. Lasker missed his chance at coolest mate ever by not playing 0-0-0# when he could have. :D

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #11

    gregkurrell

    Blacks 4th move should be Kg1. And then I don't see how White will get checkmate

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #12

    Asorski

    Ithink this puzzle is mate in nine (9) with only five (5) Bishops needed.

    As you can see Black's reply are all forced.

                      White Mates in 9 moves

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #13

    BlessedStar

    gregkurrell wrote:

    Blacks 4th move should be Kg1. And then I don't see how White will get checkmate

    Well then he only needs 4 bishops to mate



  • 22 months ago · Quote · #14

    Asorski

    Hey BlessedStar, based on my analysis White cannot forced mate with only four (4) Bishops!

    To mate, White needs to sacrifice two (2) Bishops on h1 that's why we need five not four.

    From your own diagram, comment No. 13:

    1. Be6 h5 2. Bb5 h4 3. Bh1 h3 4. Kf3 Black now plays ...Kxh1!! Draws

    I don't see a mate now with only three (3) Bishops! 

    For example: 1. Kg3+ Kg1 2. Kf3 Kh1! 

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #15

    BlessedStar

    Asorski wrote:

    Hey BlessedStar, based on my analysis White cannot forced mate with only four (4) Bishops!

    To mate, White needs to sacrifice two (2) Bishops on h1 that's why we need five not four.

    From your own diagram, comment No. 13:

    1. Be6 h5 2. Bb5 h4 3. Bh1 h3 4. Kf3 Black now plays ...Kxh1!! Draws

    I don't see a mate now with only three (3) Bishops! 

     

    For example: 1. Kg3+ Kg1 2. Kf3 Kh1! 

    Well that was a response to a comment 11 where If 4...Kg1 is played, white only needs 4 bishops

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #16

    ponz111

    The check mate I like best is one that happens fairly often the ol smothered mate where one side plays Q to g8+ and it has to be taken then N ot f7 smothered mate.  I know this can happen on other squares. 

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #17

    II-Oliveira

    If black has a pawn, it is not a mate only with white bishops.

    We also say that you can't mate with only king and knight, but if the opponent has other pieces it is possible.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #18

    BlessedStar

    II-Oliveira wrote:

    If black has a pawn, it is not a mate only with white bishops.

    We also say that you can't mate with only king and knight, but if the opponent has other pieces it is possible.

    just a query, if K&N vs K&RP a win?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #19

    The_Chess_Ninja

    It's not the best checkmate ever, since you can't do it in a real chess game.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #20

    BlessedStar

    you can if you promote 3 pawns to bishops on white squares


Back to Top

Post your reply: