Forums

Theft

Sort:
Pete_1982

GSlowik

stalemate. That sucks

Mandy711

Great study. Good example of underpromotion.

AndyClifton

amusing!

GreenCastleBlock

Relatively best would be 1...Rg7 and force White to demonstrate he knows how to survive the R vs. N endgame with the K in the corner.  I like this study though, hadn't seen that before.

learningthemoves

I agree it's amusing, but other than the novelty of underpromotion, are there any benefits for white over just promoting to a queen that I'm missing here?

Someone above had suggested stalemate, but since it's black to move and he's not in check and has the other rook, it can't be stalemate for black.

And since white can clearly move the bishop to take the rook he's pinned, it's not stalemate for white either.

So help me understand "the point".

What exactly is stolen here besides the additional powers of the queen white robbed himself of by choosing to underpromote to the bishop?

k-scope
learningthemoves wrote:

I agree it's amusing, but other than the novelty of underpromotion, are there any benefits for white over just promoting to a queen that I'm missing here?

Someone above had suggested stalemate, but since it's black to move and he's not in check and has the other rook, it can't be stalemate for black.

And since white can clearly move the bishop to take the rook he's pinned, it's not stalemate for white either.

What exactly is stolen here besides the additional powers of the queen white robbed himself of by choosing to underpromote to the bishop?

If white promotes to a Q black wins,  1.b8=Q Rxc8  2. Qxc8(forced)Rxc8+ and black wins.

Crazychessplaya

Good one.

AlCzervik
learningthemoves wrote:

I agree it's amusing, but other than the novelty of underpromotion, are there any benefits for white over just promoting to a queen that I'm missing here? White gets a draw instead of a loss.

Someone above had suggested stalemate, but since it's black to move and he's not in check and has the other rook, it can't be stalemate for black. It's whites move, and there is no legal move.

And since white can clearly move the bishop to take the rook he's pinned, it's not stalemate for white either. White can't move the bishop because it puts him/her in check.

What exactly is stolen here besides the additional powers of the queen white robbed himself of by choosing to underpromote to the bishop? If white promotes to queen, the next move must be qxc8, which leads to an easy win for black.

Pete_1982

@learningthemoves

Perhaps I should have continued the puzzle a bit further.

1. White will take the pinned rook next go unless Black stalemates her. Rook v Knight endgames are theoretical draws (though White needs to keep her wits about her as GreenCastleBlock noted: I showed the stalemate line for illustration)

2. If White promotes to Rook or Queen she will be forced to take the Black Rook after Rgxc8 and so lose.

3. Promoting to a knight clearly loses

eddysallin

p=b,        If black were to play rxn,then stake-mate exist.......or black could make a k. move and bxr,rxn+,W/ a r. vs. b, ending, but learningthe moves is right.... P=q is a black win.

macer75

great puzzle