Forums

When I am hungry

Sort:
Sherlock__Holmes

With this puzzle (#163 , #167 ) Henri Rnck won 1st prize in 1906 year.

Henri Rinck

Sherlock__Holmes

Henri Rinck has so many puzzles and most of them are perfect - here is one of them :

White to play and win

nswwsn

assuming b+r+k vs b+k and r+r+b+k vs k+q are both wins then

Caiello

nswwsn

So Kb4 would be repeating since the R can't take the B. I wonder what the actual solution is.

Sherlock__Holmes

nswwsn and Caiello gave some of the lines and here is the  solution from the book:

Sherlock__Holmes

This position needs some explanation : if black king can get to any of white corners of the board, the game will be a draw . Obviously author accepts it can't be done . May be somebody has different opinion ?

ShadowIKnight

Bump:3

Sherlock__Holmes

How to play black ?

nswwsn
Sherlocks_Holmes wrote:

This position needs some explanation : if black king can get to any of white corners of the board, the game will be a draw . Obviously author accepts it can't be done . May be somebody has different opinion ?

Why not Bd7? It seems to avoid any mess.

Caiello

Here is an evaluation and continuation of the position in post #176

There are so many variations that this is probably incorrect, but.......

Sherlock__Holmes

Somebody to help to solve " The mystery of the 36 th move " ? :

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/play-online-against-the-computer-freezing-at-move-36

and

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/suggestions/any-solution?ncc=1#first_

Sherlock__Holmes

About  #176 and #178 - I think like Caiello that 1...e5 is may be the best move . This was not a puzzle with exact solution, but a practical position with different possibilities. 

Sherlock__Holmes

Sherlock__Holmes

mate in 2 moves

Here_Is_Plenty

Qa3+ and Qd6 mate I presume.  The rook is a little bit surplus.

Sherlock__Holmes
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:

Qa3+ and Qd6 mate I presume.  The rook is a little bit surplus.

Yes, you are right, thanks . I corrected the position - you can see the correction above 

Dark--Horse

1. Rh8!!

einstein_69101
Dark--Horse wrote:

1. Rh8!!

I agree.  :)  If 1...d5 or 1...d5, then 2. exd6#.  If the black rook moves off of the backrank, then 2. Nc8#.  If the black rook moves off of the f-file, then 2. Qf7# unless black plays 1...Rc8+ 2. Nxc8#.

milray101

This is very interesting...