Forums

White to move and win

Sort:
FancyKnight

starr72

???? black can still move a7

The_Worstiest

In the final position(after 3.Be4), move the a-pawn loses due to 4.Nxb6+ Ka7 5.Bxb7 followed by 6.Nc8#. But what if 3...Bc6 instead?

FancyKnight

3..Bc6 loses to 4.Kxc6! (Lol). White will just continue with a shortened form of the B+N mate, with the king already cornered on the right colour corner. I stopped the puzzle here because of that reply.

The_Worstiest

I've saw 4.Kxc6 too, but i thought that it would take more longer to checkmate with K+B+N vs K(luckily the black's K is in the correct corner to give mate). But then 4...Kb8 5.Ne7(covering c8) a6 6.Bf3 a5 7.Be4 axb4 8.Bf3 Ka8 9.Kc7#. Correct me if i missed something.

FancyKnight

The king can still go to a7, no?

Following that line,

5..a6 is answered with 6. Kxb6 7. Bb7 etc...

5..a5 is answered with 6.Bf5, followed by setting a mating net with either the king on b6 and bishop on a6, or the king on c7 and the bishop on c8, depending on black's reply.

NMmarkopetrovic

Smart one zugzwang

upen2002

easy

watcha

I did not realize that b6 was a check... I wanted to mate and the knight refused to move :). Fortunately this does not mean I would have failed the problem had it been in the tactics trainer since with pieces that were willing to move I made the right moves...