Forums

Book reviews.

Sort:
kco

Your chance to talk about the books you have been reading now or in the past. Weather it may be western, Sci-fi, romance, classic etc.

kco

I'll start of with Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, it was ok for me nothing fancy really, maybe the movie might be better. It was set in the future where books are banned and burn !  

kco

lol don't blame you. Don't read anything else ?  anything at school, any classic ones ?

johnnyrocco

i like le carre- his work usually grabs me. i also like michael connolly- who writes a series of LA police fiction- its like cotton candy- empty calories, but i like it. The best book I read recently was shutter island- and althought i thought i would hate the movie- it wasnt bad either. another oldie but goodie is clockwork orange- althought the movie is great (can be disturning- but hey its stanley kubrick) the book is really much better.

kco

ok I'll finish this off about the  Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. It was written in 1953 as a dystopian novel.
   The novel has been the subject of various interpretations, primarily focusing on the historical role of book burning in suppressing dissenting ideas. Bradbury has stated that the novel is not about censorship, but a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature, which leads to a perception of knowledge as being composed of factoids, partial information devoid of context.(wikipedia) 

François Truffaut wrote and directed a film adaptation of the novel in 1966. At least two BBC Radio 4 dramatizations have also been aired, both of which follow the book very closely. (wikipedia)

I only found two interesting things in there, there was a "chat room" tv's mounted around the room where the main character Guy Montag's (a fireman) wife who watched it all the time. The next day she was found overdose  " two impersonal technicians to pump her stomach and replace her blood. The next day, Montag finds Mildred in the kitchen, eating a big breakfast and rambling how she feels hungry and has no memory of what she did the night before....."

Huh ? replacing your whole blood, hmm not abad idea. 

Fahrenheit 451-Wikipedia.  I'll give it a 2 out of 5.

About Ray Bradbury

Ray Douglas Bradbury (born August 22, 1920) is an American fantasy, horror, science fiction, and mystery writer. Best known for his dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 (1953) and for the science fiction stories gathered together as The Martian Chronicles (1950) and The Illustrated Man (1951), Bradbury is one of the most celebrated among 20th and 21st century American writers of speculative fiction. Many of Bradbury's works have been adapted into television shows or films. (Wiki)

kco

Now I'll go onto one more sci-fi novel before heading off to a different subject. I've just read earlier (online) The Chrysalids by John Wyndham 1955. Earlier in my school a teacher was reading The Day of the Triffids, this got me interested in the Chrysalids. While reading it, the movie The Village (2004) has come to mind in a way. Is was a good read.

kco

are you reading any book lately Andyclifton ?

AndyClifton

Well yeah, I already posted my reviews on that other thread. Smile

AndyClifton

Okay, here's the last two books I gave 5 stars to (I mean, before The Stewardess is Flying the Plane):

Okay, the introduction has its hokey aspects, but the galleries that follow are simply wonderful: page after page of arresting, even breathtaking design. Truly you've found your way into (slightly less than 100 pages of) Art Deco heaven!

Okay, first off a caveat: you have to be a little bit worried about a druggo's bio that is sanctioned by the whole family. I mean, you definitely get the feeling that things are maybe gonna be skewed a little bit, especially in this wienie day and age. And indeed, I definitely could've done without the epilogue painting its rosy little picture at the end.

However, this is still a helluva book, and fully worthy of the tremendous Belushi oral biography (which was also worked on by the [apparently amazing] Tanner Colby). It was a great idea to start out with Farley's real-life motivational speech at the halfway house...definitely gets you into it and sums things up even before we start, simultaneously giving us a long shot and putting everything into focus. And despite my concerns, everyone comes off as pretty frank here; there aren't too many airbrushed edges and the proceedings are mercifully low on psychobabble.

It seems somehow like a fault of the text that Farley falls so abruptly off the wagon after 3 years of abstinence. But I suppose that's the point of it, that no one quite understood it (even now), and fortunately nobody does try to explain it in doctorial terms. Maybe what that one guy said was really cutting to the heart of the matter: how Farley had never had any other dream but appearing on SNL, and now that he'd done that, what was left?...except getting stuck in the midst of increasingly crappy movies, with no more repertory "team feeling" left (uh-oh, looks like I'm turning into Sigmund myself!...lol; but it was indeed a great mystery in his life, perhaps the most puzzling aspect of all).

He comes off (despite the superficial resemblance, and his own identification) as being very little like Belushi (other than the fact that they were both big fat loud comedians who took drugs). But Belushi was always confident, even arrogant; he didn't much seem to care whether you went along with him or not (or at least, that was the image he projected); whereas Farley sort of seemed to crave the attention and recognition. I must say I never have thought nearly as much of Farley's comedic talents as everyone in the book seems to...although I have been changing my view about that recently, looking at some of the old clips again. Oh yeah, and I saw Tommy Boy, which I found quite enjoyable (even though David Spade was in most of it).

That final picture, of Lorne Michaels coming back from the funeral, says it all: "Another fat guy in a body bag." I kept looking at that shot (and being sort of chilled by it) over and over again; it can definitely bring a lump to your throat.