Forums

How much is your beer?

Sort:
TheGrobe

I'm thinking you must be thinking of Old Style Pilsner (indeed, started by a Lethbridge brewer) -- it's still sold under the same banner:

TheGrobe

Although I haven't seen it in the stubby since before I was allowed to drink it.

cabadenwurt

Thanks Grobe for posting that ( very beautiful ) photo. As I was working from memory here I messed up the name  lol. Of course for the oldtimers like me it will and shall forever be " Lethbridge Pilsner ". Today they mainly sell it in cans but I'm happy to say that they kept my favourite label of all time intact. Those of us that have spent a lot of time looking at that nice label know that it has magical qualities that show up after having had several glasses of this brew. The old bi-plane will sputter to life and fly around in large lazy circles. the Steam train will huff and puff off down the track with the whistle being heard off in the distance.  That car struggling up the hill will backfire a time or two and chugg off around the bend and the stagecoach will keep rolling along. The native folks will decide thats it is a bit chilly out and move on into their warm tee-pee. Yes I have spent a lot of time watching the action on that label ( and the brew is very good too  lol ). 

cabadenwurt

Well for our Brew of choice today we are going back to Innis & Gunn of Scotland. However this time I am enjoying a glass of their Oak Aged Beer, which is aged 77 days before being bottled ( AH nectar of the Gods  lol ).  Cheers !!! 

cabadenwurt

Today I had the chance to visit our local Liquor store again and now have some brews to sample. One of these fine brews is Guiness Draught Stout, a nice powerful, dark beer. Also we have a nice brew from Corssendonc of Belgium. This brew from Belgiun is a very flavourful Fermented Brown Ale ( living high on the hog here today  lol ).  

jojofan85

Kinda reminds me of "How Beer Saved the World." << It was a tv show I watched on Discovery Channel. :)

goldendog

Right now enjoing a 6.5% Red Hook IPA. Good enough, not great--a B grade brew. $2 for a 22 oz. bottle, which feels about right.

TheGrobe

Ordered a RIPA (Rye IPA) on Monday night.  As soon as I took a sip I realized that (as good as it was) it was a mistake.  10% alcohol is not a wise move at the beginning of the work week....

cabadenwurt

Just found a bill from earlier this week to get the info on current prices in this area. A 6-pack of Old Style Pilsner ( yes they of the magical labels  lol ) is $ 12.14, for six 355 ml cans. Guiness Draught Stout 6-pack of 330 ml bottles was at $ 12.57. The Marstons Oyster Stout was $ 4.05 per 500 ml bottle. The Oak Aged Beer from Innes & Gunn costs $ 2.90 for each 330 ml bottle. The Coressendonc items came in a nice boxed gift-pack containing 2 bottles plus a terrific Beer-glass as well at $ 9.99. This is a small local Liquor store so they can't match the prices of bigger high volume stores. However they also need to move " left-over items " out as well so I got a good price on the Guiness.   

goldendog

Pyramid Outburst. A "dry hopped" IPA.

8.5% abv, with plenty going on in the flavor profile. It does quite well on beeradvocate. For me, simpler might be better in an IPA, but this is definitely an accomplished brew.

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA. That simpler IPA referred to above. Just 6.7% abv. Not all that hoppy.

I'm looking for more IPAs to show up on the local racks so I can find that real good IPA for me.

Maybe try the latest iteration of Summer Grifter when it reappears--which I liked a lot last summer.

kco

Try the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA ? nice for me.

goldendog

Yup. Good brew.

TheGrobe

I just put $40 down on a $70 six pack of Westvleteren I expect sometime in June/July.

One of my regrets is not stopping in to the monestary while I was over there to pick some up despite being only a few miles away. To my knowlege this is the first time it's ever been exported and frankly, I expected to face a much steeper premium.

It had better be good....

goldendog

After some googling, $70 is a good price. (Egads! anyway.)

You gonna review it on Ba?

TheGrobe

You know, I never have, but maybe...

gretagarbo

Oh you lucky dog. I also wonder if westvleteren is as good as its hype.

TheGrobe

I was doing a little more research last night -- 7760 of the gift packs (presumably pictured above?) are being imported into North America.  Dig around a little, you may be able to get your hands on one.

I'll be sure to report back here once I've tried it.

AlCzervik

Wait at least one day after downing them to report, Grobe!

cabadenwurt

Let me start by saying may the Good Lord preserve Scotland, including the part where the Innis & Gunn Brewery is located  lol ( their Oak Aged Beer has become one of my favourite imports ). I will have to keep my eyes open for that Pyramid Outburst XII and also the Westvleteren. Mind you I'm way out in the country here so we might not see those items. 

goldendog

I was gifted an armful of beer recently. So, the price was right, and the beer was very good besides.

Deschuttes Inversion IPA

Very nice award winning IPA from a regional brewer. 6.8%.

Next, a lager from Henry Weinhards (brewed by Full Sail in Hood River, so still a local for me). Typical American lagers either have little flavor or bad flavor, but not Henry's Blonde. It's what lagers ought to be. If the macro-breweries could manage this as a standard US beer would lose that bad reputation it currently enjoys. 5.1 %.

Also in the batch was a Henry's Classic dark. That was a pass for me.