Forums

How much is your beer?

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Today I've had a chance to try a beer that is considered an import up here ( from the USA ). It is a very nice Beer called Kirin Ichiban and is made in Los Angeles by a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch.  

AlCzervik
cabadenwurt wrote:

Today I've had a chance to try a beer that is considered an import up here ( from the USA ). It is a very nice Beer called Kirin Ichiban and is made in Los Angales by a subsiduary of Anheuser-Busch.  

I think Anheuser Busch is now owned by a German company, so, it may not be an import.

AlCzervik

Bell's has a number of brews. Oberron really hits the spot.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info on Anheuser-Busch TMIMITW. That reminds of a similar case up here with one of our major Breweries, Labatt's. I luv Labatt's not only for their Beers but they were also the long-time owners of the Toronto Blue Jays. However a big Danish Brewery took-over Labatt's some years back and having no understanding of Baseball the Blue Jays were left in the background until the team was sold off . Hmmm this should make a good topic for my thread on Baseball, adios for now. 

TheGrobe

Deschuttes is the only brewery I've ever toured. I did a vertical tasting of their Abyss stout (2007,2008 and 2009 vintages -- it was 2009 at the time). Very cool to get a taste for how it ages. They were also doing R&D on their Cascaidan Dark in the brew pub in Portland when I was there. It's still one of the best one's I've had (final product became Hop In The Dark). Needless to say, I'm a fan. Too bad I can't get it here.

Joseph-S

You'll be hard pressed to find the word 'beer' on this bottle, but I finally did.  Has anybody tried it?  Would this be classified as a girlie beer, maybe?  

(I think it's good :)

msjenned

Girl beer nice to drink.

cabadenwurt

Well we have had a nice warm tho slightly muggy day up here so I needed a cool glass of Beer ( or 2 glasses  lol) . Today I've had some Old Style Pilsner and very nice it was too. The other day I sampled a bottle of Guinness draught that was  nearly dark enough to be a stout. Alexander Keith's IPA was a Canadian brew that I had recently as well. A nice British item that is sold over here is Marston's Oyster Stout from Burton Upon Trent ( advertised as Dark Rich & Smooth, it certainly is all of those ).  

robobeer

Now this is my kind of thread. Any homebrewers out there?

TheGrobe

I'd love to take it up.  Someday I'll have the time...

ivandh
robobeer wrote:

Now this is my kind of thread. Any homebrewers out there?

Why else would I study chemical engineering?

TheGrobe

Hmm, seems to me biology would have been be more apt, but then on the other hand you are the former ruler of Belgium.

robobeer
TheGrobe wrote:

Hmm, seems to me biology would have been be more apt, but then on the other hand you are the former ruler of Belgium.

Was thinking the same thing. I could see microbiology being helpful, but I also dont know anything about chemical engineering. Perhaps on the water adjustment side of things it would work well.

cabadenwurt

In some of my posts in my threads here and in other people's threads I have mentioned that I am a collector of " stuff " ( some of my relatives call me a hoader but my " stuff " has value to me so I prefer the term Collector lol ). When I have come across a interesting magazine or perhaps a record ( mainly 33 rpm ) I have sometimes mentioned this fact in my posts. I have just come across a very good magazine entitled " All About Beer " & sub-titled " Celebrating The World Of Beer Culture " ( Jan. 2008 issue ). It is quite interesting to see the wide variety of Beers that are mentioned in this magazine. Also mentioned is the 26th Great American Beer Festival that was held in Denver ( in October 2007 ), who knew ? For those brave souls that want to experiment at home with beer the " Brew Your Own " ( The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine ) also had a ad in the " All About Beer " publication. I will have to keep my eyes open, perhaps in can find a new issue of this magazine in a local store again sometime.      

AlCzervik

I saw Three Stooges beer in Rock Island, Il once. Didn't want to try it because I was driving, but now I kinda regret buying all 3. Yes, there was a Moe, a Larry, and a Curly. I should have gotten all three!

ivandh

I remember the short where they made beer during Prohibition. Would not have tried it...

About half the chemical engineers I know are beermakers, none of the biologists are (or else they are more secretive about it). The biology behind beermaking is not difficult, especially because so much research and experience has already been accrued in that field, and a variety of strains already exist for whatever type of beer you want to make. I learned all I needed in a couple of days of reading articles about it (yes there is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to all aspects of brewing).

However, the thermodynamics of keeping the bugs at the right temperature can be a nightmare, and most of the other challenges, such as removing nasty bits and adding rather insoluble gases to a mix that is already crammed full of stuff, are also very much in the realm of chemical engineering.

cabadenwurt

A couple of posts back I mentioned that there is a magazine in print called " All About Beer ", mind you I hadn't seen any recent issues but I thought that such a fine publication should still exist. A few of days ago I went to the nearest Wal-Mart ( about a 1 hour drive away from here ) and found a new issue of " All About Beer " on their magazine rack. Another terrific issue just like the other one that I had mentioned earlier and anyone that is a true fan of Beer should probably try to find a copy of this magazine. 

cabadenwurt

A bit warm and muggy here today so I decided that I needed a glass of Beer with Supper and then had some Old Style Pilsner. Recently I had the chance to sample an interesting import from the UK called Boddingtons Pub Ale. I don't try any Ales too often tho I do like IPAs. This Boddingtons product is quite nice as well. 

Joseph-S

Turn your empty beer cans into extra money!    Smile

cabadenwurt

Those are great models Joseph-S. The Guinness one reminds a bit me of a Hot-Rod that they used to have years ago on the Munsters TV show.