Forums

How to Make a Chess Set

Sort:
Rista12

Does anybody know how to make their own chess set, board and all?

shadowslayer

How detailed would you like it to be? Would you like people say, "Look, that block of wood has a notch in it, it's a rook!". Or would you like them to say, "I can see the Knight's eyes!

mc_js

Take $20, go to the store, close your eyes...... POOF! A chess set! (board and all)

Pomz1
Rista12 wrote:

reskon u

Rista12
mattcurl wrote:

Take $20, go to the store, close your eyes...... POOF! A chess set! (board and all)

That's not exactly making something.

ricecake9
Rista12 wrote:
mattcurl wrote:

It's making efficient use of time.

DMX21x1

You would need to be good at carpentry.  Not just good but supremely good.  One of my favourite sayings comes from carpentry, "Measure twice, cut once."  I think I got it from a Stephen King book. 

RooksBailey

If you really want to give it a shot, Woodworkers Journal has some downloadable plans here.

There is also a video series here.

Good luck!

Ketamine
Rista12 wrote:

"Off-Topic." That's the name of this forum.

PS: It's a chess board. It's square. With two whole colors on it. It's not that difficult. Even I could build one and I've never touched a saw in my life.

It's wood. It's glue. It's a saw. It's square. It's two colors of wood.

For the love of God, please tell me you can figure the rest out on your own.

Rista12
Ketamine wrote:
Rista12 wrote:

PS: It's a chess board. It's square. With two whole colors on it. It's not that difficult. Even I could build one and I've never touched a saw in my life.

And the pieces? Hmm?

froochie
Rista12 wrote:
mattcurl wrote:

Sure it is, it's making "a purchase". badump bump.

What kind of woodworking skills do you have.  Someone said above that the never touched a saw and could made one.  That guys making a mess.

Making something as exact is a real chore. Eliminating the gaps between squares, framing, wood choices and size is all important.  The skill of woodworking is no joke and a nice board is not an easy thing for a first timer.

And if you mean you're trying to make the set, there is no advice for that other than don't. You'd need a tiny lathe and it would take you forever.  It would be a really cool goal for an accomplished craftsman but as not a job for a novice.

Ketamine
Rista12 wrote:
Ketamine wrote:
Rista12 wrote:

And the pieces? Hmm?

Dude, ask your wood shop teacher. There are templates for this stuff. Even I know that.

Phssthpok

Do you insist on wooden pieces ? You can get molds for making ceramic chess pieces.

king_warrior
Ketamine wrote:
Rista12 wrote:

Ketamine in fighting mode, like always   Cool

ichabod801
Phssthpok wrote:

Do you insist on wooden pieces ? You can get molds for making ceramic chess pieces.

And if you don't need a wooden board, you can make a vinyl roll up one easily. Get the vinyl from a fabric store, and put the squares on with permanent markers. I've done it to make boards for chess variants.

Capablanca Chess

Rista12

plz comment on my other forums

accord2

a friend of a friend casrved his own board out of ( i want to say oak) its cool but its not proffessional. i think thats better to have something halfway decent you make instead of going to the store and buying one, but i cant make anything except pizza and burgers so ill shut my big mouth. if anybody made their own pieces id love to see some pics.

peterbrandt1000
B
tchikette

:titled_tuesday

Marik22Cro

💯