2014 Sinquefield Cup is LIVE! Open to ALL MEMBERS! Join GM Ashley, GM Seirawan and WGM Shahade! Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Movie reviews

• 3 years ago · #201

Mithras

electricpawn wrote:

I am Spartacus!

No I'M Spartacus!

• 3 years ago · #202

Mithras

I liked Moon (2009 i think) - low budget sci-fi ,  sam rockwell & kevin spacey

• 3 years ago · #203

totaLBeginner

theoreticalboy wrote:

I'm not talking about writing, I'm talking about directing.

I think ur problem must be with the substance of Nolan's films, because from a directing point of view, he is without doubt one of the best. You can not look at a film like 'Inception' and not think that it's at the very least, a display of awesome directing ability.

• 3 years ago · #204

totaLBeginner

Mithras wrote:

I liked Moon (2009 i think) - low budget sci-fi ,  sam rockwell & kevin spacey

directed by the son of David Bowie - fun fact

• 3 years ago · #205

theoreticalboy

totaLBeginner wrote:
    theoreticalboy wrote:

I'm not talking about writing, I'm talking about directing.

I think ur problem must be with the substance of Nolan's films, because from a directing point of view, he is without doubt one of the best. You can not look at a film like 'Inception' and not think that it's at the very least, a display of awesome directing ability.

I haven't seen Inception, but really, did you read the article I linked to?  Did you not see The Dark Knight?  Seriously, good cinematography is about more than darkening the frame, and good directing is about far more than reliance on shot/counter-shot, and endless exposition.

One of the best, jesus...

• 3 years ago · #206

totaLBeginner

ok, he's not one of the best, nontheless, he's still good.

The Dark Knight was a bit 'baggy' and drawn out but it certainly was not awful. WWhy do you hate Nolan so much? i think that article you mentioned has corrupted your mind. And don't you at least think that he is one of the only directors who has 'dared' to make a huge blockbusters which actually requires it's audeience to use their brains a bit.

• 3 years ago · #207

theoreticalboy

Wait, the juvenile good vs evil, war-on-terror-saturated mindset of The Dark Knight requires the audience to think?  And like the writer of that piece (which confirmed and expanded upon already-existing conceptions of mine, for the record, so the charge of 'corruption' is a false one) points out, he goes to great lengths to ensure that each piece of remotely complicated information is explained, and then repeats those lengths.  God, the more I think about him, the less I like him.  Those whispered Guy Pearce monologues in Memento, ewww.

By the way, here's a parody trailer which shows how easy the Nolan style is to achieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZ1SagUPb4

• 3 years ago · #208

corrijean

I really enjoyed Stranger than Fiction.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/

• 3 years ago · #209

winerkleiner

Can anyone recommend a movie about a nuclear disaster (end of the world and starting over) sort of a movie?  Thanks in advance.

• 3 years ago · #210

corrijean

Does a book count? The Gate to Women's Country by Tepper.

• 3 years ago · #211

corrijean

Oh, The Road was a good movie that takes place after a nuclear event.

• 3 years ago · #212

theoreticalboy

Yes; MST2K: Warrior of the Lost World Tongue out

• 3 years ago · #213

theoreticalboy

Or you could just actually watch Mad Max.

• 3 years ago · #214

winerkleiner

corrijean wrote:

Does a book count? The Gate to Women's Country by Tepper.

Sorry but no, reading is fine but a movie is what I am looking for, but thanks.

• 3 years ago · #215

trysts

winerkleiner wrote:

Can anyone recommend a movie about a nuclear disaster (end of the world and starting over) sort of a movie?  Thanks in advance.

"Panic in year zero!"(1962) Ray Milland is excellent.

"The day after"(1983) Made-for-TV movie. I liked it.

"Dr. Strangelove"(1964) Actually is "the greatest war satire"!

• 3 years ago · #216

winerkleiner

trysts wrote:
    winerkleiner wrote:

"Panic in year zero!"(1962) Ray Milland is excellent.

"The day after"(1983) Made-for-TV movie. I liked it.

"Dr. Strangelove"(1964) Actually is "the greatest war satire"!

Thank you and you and corrijean are the best!!

• 3 years ago · #217

trysts

winerkleiner wrote:

Thank you and you and corrijean are the best!!

Well, thank you! I should talk about nuclear holocaust films more often!Laughing

• 3 years ago · #218

oinquarki

My only problem with Dr. Strangelove is that I've only seen it once.

• 3 years ago · #219

goldwater

trysts wrote:
    oinquarki wrote:

Stalag 17 - good.

Stalag 17(1953)

Loved William Holden and the story! The two comic reliefs? You know who I'm talking about. One was named "Animal" I believe. I don't remember the other person's name, but, they were the only flaws, for me, in the film

The comical character that played off

• 3 years ago · #220

Crazychessplaya

Just stay away from The Postman, a waste of celluloid.

This forum topic has been locked.