Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Movie reviews

• 3 years ago · #2281

corrijean

Quantrill as a Northerner? That doesn't fit at all.

• 3 years ago · #2282

blake78613

corrijean wrote:

Quantrill as a Northerner? That doesn't fit at all.

I keep thinking I am missing something or misunderstanding the movie, because no reviews point out the historical inaccuracy.  I once thumbed through the novel Outlaw Josey Wells and it also seems to be saying that Quantrill is fighting to keep Kansas slave free.

• 3 years ago · #2283

corrijean

I remember Quantrill's raiders killed all the men and boys in Lawrence, Kansas. I know there were worse massacres in human history, but I've been to Lawrence, so the story has a higher impact on me.

• 3 years ago · #2284

blake78613

corrijean wrote:

I remember Quantrill's raiders killed all the men and boys in Lawrence, Kansas. I know there were worse massacres in human history, but I've been to Lawrence, so the story has a higher impact on me.

I went to the University of Kansas at Lawrence, as an undergraduate and also went to law school there.  The football stadium is located where a cornfield used to be where people hid during Quantrill's raid.

• 3 years ago · #2285

corrijean

I don't believe in ghosts, but if they do exist, seems like that would be the place for them.

• 3 years ago · #2286

Bodhiwan

I usually watch at least one movie a day, but for the past months I have only seen a few due to a growing interest in TV-series. I know, I'm falling into depravity, but although most of them still follow a formula I think TV-series have been greatly improved over the past decade. Also, I find the format as such to be highly enjoyable. When watching episodes in a row instead of weekly, it becomes the novel version of movies. Whereas many times I've felt that movies I really enjoyed were too short, like I wanted to stay a lot longer in the story, that's were the series give the opportunity.

It started with "Lost" for me, that I started watching a couple of years ago and got completely hooked on as it was very original and intriguing compared to any series I had seen before. Anyone here hooked on TV-series as well?

Should the answer be a resounding NO! I will gracefully never mention it again in the movie thread and apologize for infecting it with such trivia Tongue out

• 3 years ago · #2287

corrijean

I wouldn't call it hooked, but I have been watching Community on hulu and The Big Bang Theory on dvd. Both are pretty funny.

• 3 years ago · #2288

antioxidant

i read that captain william quantrill was first a school teacher was supportive of his family learned gambling then loses his two best friends and went to work in continous support of his family,his perceptions and belief change with the times as he learn new things to experience .he even deserted his general  and ten of  those who believe in him and formed the confederates guerillas that growed to nearly 500 fighting the union in marauding style of the indians. is there any film depiction that portrays him as starrer not like the outlw called josey wales.

• 3 years ago · #2289

blake78613

Benju13 wrote:

i read that captain william quantrill was first a school teacher was supportive of his family learned gambling then loses his two best friends and went to work in continous support of his family,his perceptions and belief change with the times as he learn new things to experience .he even deserted his general  and ten of  those who believe in him and formed the confederates guerillas that growed to nearly 500 fighting the union in marauding style of the indians. is there any film depiction that portrays him as starrer not like the outlw called josey wales.

There is a movie Dark Command, starring John Wayne.  It is the only movie that John Wayne and Roy Rogers were both in.  Walter Pidgen plays a school teacher named Cantrell which is loosely based on Quantrill.  His mother is played by Marjorie Main (famous as Ma Kettle in the Ma and Pa Kettle movies).   There is a 1999 movie Ride With The Devil based on the Lawrence raid.  I have never seen Ride with the Devil but it is supposed to be very inaccurate.  I think Quantrill is a minor character in various movies about Jesse James.

• 3 years ago · #2290

blake78613

Capote the Movie

One of Truman Capote’s aunts lived next door to “Nell” Harper Lee when they were children. When Lee wrote To Kill a Mockingbird she based the character Dill on Capote. The character Scout is highly autobiographical.

The movie Capote is about Capote writing his non fiction novel In Cold Blood. When Capote decides to go to Kansas to research the Clutter family murder he takes along his childhood friend Harper Lee.

Philip Seymour Hoffman’s brilliant portrayal of Truman Capote has been highly praised, and rightfully so; but its not a one man show. Catherine Keener portrayal of the quiet and unassuming Nell Harper Lee is also strong and a perfect counterpoint to the flamboyant Capote. The dialogue in the movie is excellent and includes many witty exchanges between Capote and Lee.

I would subtitle the movie The Further Adventures of Scout and Dill and highly recommend it.

• 3 years ago · #2291

trysts

We get some very good movie reviews here! Thank you to all that give a thoughtful synopsis on films in this thread, you know who you are, and it makes the thread a joy to read!Smile

• 3 years ago · #2292

corrijean

blake78613 wrote:

Capote the Movie

One of Truman Capote’s aunts lived next door to “Nell” Harper Lee when they were children. When Lee wrote To Kill a Mockingbird she based the character Dill on Capote. The character Scout is highly autobiographical.

The movie Capote is about Capote writing his non fiction novel In Cold Blood. When Capote decides to go to Kansas to research the Clutter family murder he takes along his childhood friend Harper Lee.

Philip Seymour Hoffman’s brilliant portrayal of Truman Capote has been highly praised, and rightfully so; but its not a one man show. Catherine Keener portrayal of the quiet and unassuming Nell Harper Lee is also strong and a perfect counterpoint to the flamboyant Capote. The dialogue in the movie is excellent and includes many witty exchanges between Capote and Lee.

I would subtitle the movie The Further Adventures of Scout and Dill and highly recommend it.

I, too, thought Capote was quite good. Even more so if you've read In Cold Blood. 

• 3 years ago · #2293

Bodhiwan

corrijean wrote:

I wouldn't call it hooked, but I have been watching Community on hulu and The Big Bang Theory on dvd. Both are pretty funny.

Thanks for the rescue Tongue out Big Bang Theory is pretty funny, I've watched a couple of seasons of that too. Apparently there's a hilarious episode where Leonard is playing chess with Penny, but I haven't seen that yet.

• 3 years ago · #2294

Bodhiwan

blake78613 wrote:

Capote the Movie

I thought Capote was a really good movie, and like you say Phillip Seymour Hoffman is not the only one who shines, Catherine Keener is very good too and I always love to see Chris Cooper however small a role.

Watching Capote inspired me to read a bit about him afterwards, and I'd say any movie that makes me go looking for something is a good movie.

• 3 years ago · #2295

blake78613

Re: Capote

I am also a big fan Chris Cooper  ever since Lonesome Dove. I was shocked at how much he seemed to have aged when I watched Seabiscuit.  I have a couple of connections with Richard Hickock (one of the murderers of the Cutter family).  My high school senior English teacher had Hickock as a student, and the first attorney I worked for after being admitted to the bar had done the adoption of Hickock's son.  I sure he doesn't know who his father was to this day.

• 3 years ago · #2296

nameno1had

trysts wrote:

We get some very good movie reviews here! Thank you to all that give a thoughtful synopsis on films in this thread, you know who you are, and it makes the thread a joy to read!

Thanks, could I get a refill?

• 3 years ago · #2297

trysts

nameno1had wrote:
    trysts wrote:

We get some very good movie reviews here! Thank you to all that give a thoughtful synopsis on films in this thread, you know who you are, and it makes the thread a joy to read!

Sure! I got off work early tonight, because all the customers are scared of tornado warnings, so I'm not tired of pouring drinksLaughing

• 3 years ago · #2298

nameno1had

trysts wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    trysts wrote:

Sure! I got off work early tonight, because all the customers are scared of tornado warnings, so I'm not tired of pouring drinks

I thought maybe you were gonna pour it on my head... Wink

Can I get a double double of something strong?

• 3 years ago · #2299

trysts

I'm drinking straight Grey Goose, chilled. How about that?

• 3 years ago · #2300

corrijean

Sounds pretty strong to me.

This forum topic has been locked.