Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
bronsteinitz

Interesting thread. High quality Kiss

bronsteinitz

But there are many excellent movies, and taste is individual. The lists seem to be a bit "cinephile".

If I think about my instant personal favorites then some of them are (just by heart and not in order) : Leon (I love Leon), Scent of a woman (Pacino is an incredible actor), The big Lebowsky (everybody likes the dude), Slum dog millionaire (great music, great discovery), Crash, Taken, or for example La vita è bella (Benigni).. But so many good films and indeed The Godfather, or Once upon a time in america,..

electricpawn

@Sharon: I haven't seen all of Kubrick's films, but imho Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange are better than 2001. A lot of peope forget about The Age of Innocence when discussing Scorsese, but it is an excellent movie that showcases his versatility as a director. Compare The Age of Innocence to Bringing Out the Dead, and you get an idea of his range as an artist. I'm so glad this thread is back!

trysts

@bronsteinitz: Yes, I agree the lists are much more appealing to the cinephile, than to people who don't watch films in that way.Smile

@Lisa: Overall it does appear as you say, that the films represented are "groundbreaking". And Tarkovsky's opinion of "Solaris" being the "worst film he ever made" was a pretty darn good film!Smile

@electricpawn: Yes, to see "Taxi Driver", then see "The age of innocence", is like watching two entirely different directors!Smile

trysts

I've always thought Scorsese was creepy, because most of his films were pretty creepy to meLaughing

trysts

Hilarious! Other directors who are nice in a creepy way:

Roman Polanski

George Lucas 

Cecil B DeMille

Laughing

electricpawn
trysts wrote:

Hilarious! Other directors who are nice in a creepy way:

Roman Polanski

George Lucas 

Cecil B DeMille

Alfred Hitchcock

trysts

I don't know why I'm not creeped out by Alfred Hitchcock? Seems I should be, but he has grandpap charm. Polanski and little girls. Lucas and Howard the Duck/Jar-Jar Binks. DeMille and God with a whip conducting orgiesSurprised

trysts

Laughing

electricpawn

Otto Preminger, Austrian director. The only movie I've seen that he directed was Laura, which I liked. Also liked the theme song which is sort of a jazz standard. What he did that was creepy was to play creepy Nazi officers in WWII American propoganda movies. Many of his actors in films he directed complained of poor treatment and cruelty.

trysts
electricpawn wrote:

Otto Preminger, Austrian director. The only movie I've seen that he directed was Laura, which I liked. Also liked the theme song which is sort of a jazz standard. What he did that was creepy was to play creepy Nazi officers in WWII American propoganda movies. Many of his actors in films he directed complained of poor treatment and cruelty.

I didn't know that about Otto Preminger, electricpawn. I really liked "Laura", as well. I've read similar things about Erich von Stroheim, and Michael Curtiz(he directed "Casablanca", and he is also known for putting actors and animals in danger during his productions. At least on one occasion, his irresponsible productions caused the death of extras, from what I remember).

electricpawn
trysts wrote:
electricpawn wrote:

I didn't know that about Otto Preminger, electricpawn. I really liked "Laura", as well. I've read similar things about Erich von Stroheim, and Michael Curtiz(he directed "Casablanca", and he is also known for putting actors and animals in danger during his productions. At least on one occasion, his irresponsible productions caused the death of extras, from what I remember).

http://www.littlereview.com/remick/articles/otto.htm

trysts

Thanks for the link to that story, electricpawn!

electricpawn

Wink

IQ_Lackov

Given up trying to track everyone's offerings after page 28 so would just like to second (or add one more to) the following films:

Oldboy, Leon, Seven Samurai, Reservoir Dogs, Blade Runner.

Not seen these mentioned thus far:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind where Jim Carrey plays against type (thankfully) and School of Rock / Airplane! appeals to the kid in me.

Great thread.

trysts

It is hard to believe we're on page 132!

@IQ_Lackov: It seems many people have a high regard for "Oldboy", but I stopped watching it when he was eating a live octopus. Gross!Laughing

trysts

Here are a couple documentaries that you can watch on the interwebs. The first is called "Hollywood: A celebration of the American silent film". It is excellent, and I've watched it a couple of times. It's narrated by James Mason(love his voice). Here is the link to the playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91G9aDyS_s&list=SP92390927D5D09648&feature=plpp_play_all

The other documentary I'm watching now. It is called "Cinema Europe", and it is narrated by Kenneth Branaugh. The playlist doesn't go in order, so you can follow this link to the other parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fi1yarWLyQ&list=UUWV-MxVuiRruezBY-gWfunw&index=10&feature=plcp

Enjoy!Smile

trysts

I apologize for the "Cinema Europe" link not having two of the six parts(I just found out the link is missing part 4 after I just finished watching saw part 3, also part 6 is missingFrown).

Edit: I found part 4! Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWlQmq1Ozg

jesterville

Hi trysts,

This is by far the best topic on this site...of course, being a movie lover I am more than a tad biased. LOL

Here are a few I've seen recently, and loved.

1. The Magic of Belle Isle

2. War Horse

3. The Artist

4. Perfume- The Storey of a Murderer

...and a few great documentaries are-

5. Too Big To Fail

6. Stephen Hawkings-The Grand Design 1-3 (3 parts)

7. Chasing Madoff

jesterville

The Magic of Belle Isle Poster

War Horse Poster

The Artist Poster

This forum topic has been locked