Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
trysts

The Power Principle(2012)

Another outstanding documentary from Scott Noble! I've watched it twice in the last week. It reviews some of the history of U.S. imperialism, supporting dictators and fascism, and destroying democracies all over the world, while feeding that world a concatenation of lies. It's a superb film worthy of anyone's time. I have the highest praise for Scott Noble documentaries, and this may be his best!

If you wish to view it, it is split into three parts in the link below: "Empire", "Propaganda", and "Apocalypse".

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article31417.htm

This is a free, fair-use filmSmile

jesterville

"Lisav"...I feel like we now know so much more about you Laughing...LOL

...so I finally made it to see "The Avengers"...true story...we paid for the 3D movie (of course)...sat down...put on our 3D glasses and...what the hell...this is not 3...this is only 2D. So I went to the Manager to complain...she refunded us our money...and we also got free passes...which I used the next day to see The Avengers 3D.

For those who love a superhero movie...this was fab...

corrijean

Sunshine (2007) started out to be a pretty original looking sci fi. Initially I enjoyed it. Then the plot line started to get a little too complicated and the characters started to die in ways that were a little too spectacular. I'd give it about a C.

trysts

@Lisa: Goodness you're funny!Laughing I saw both versions of Solaris. Tarkovsky's is betterWink

@jesterville: I'm glad you finally got to see your movieLaughing

@corrijean: I was very disappointed with "Sunshine". It started off so well, then unexplainably turned into a slasher film.

gretagarbo
Lisav- wow..did you recently go to a high school reunion or what . I can't think of what else could trigger such an  intense association of memories.  Or maybe it was just some old fashion mind altering drugs .
electricpawn

Nice piece of writing, Lisa. I love your candor and humor and your willingness to share those moments from your youth. Earlier youth; you're still young!

gretagarbo
Watched the film - Ladri di Biciclette (The Bicycle Thief)  (1948) last night.  Excellent movie that takes place in Italy right after WWII . The movie has a simple plot line involving a man who is the head of household in a very poor family. He has been out of work for over a year and finally gets a job as someone who hangs advertising posters on the walls around the city. The only problem is that he needs a bicycle for the job.  The boy who plays Bruno ,the man's young son, is superb . While watching this movie and seeing how hard the conditions were after the war, one can't help but realize what a freakin spoiled society we have become and what a ridiculous sense of entitlement many of us have.
electricpawn

Sense of entitlement in what way?

trysts

Excellent film, gretagarboWink

gretagarbo
Sense of entitlement in what way? Well... The main character  in the film is so thrilled and thankful to get any job  and expresses such joy at the prospect of making some money to support his family, that he never even considers the job menial .   The family has no running water, is forced to sell the sheets off their beds to recover the bicycle that was originally hocked to get money for the household . They have no appliances and daily living is full of hardships. I believe, most  families today would curl up and die under those  conditions.
electricpawn

I met my wife in Des Moines, but she's originally from the Philippines. We went to Manila so I could meet her family a couple years after we were married.We stayed for a month.

I don't mean to offend any Pinoy who may be reading this, but the poverty and living conditions are beyond comprehension to anyone who grew up in more economically advanced countries.

We went to the cemetery to visit my father - in - law's grave, and there were people living in the cemetery. There were little kids walking around nearly naked, guys with brooms pretending to sweep the tomb of my father - in - law hoping we'd give them money.

There were beggars everywhere. Since the American military left, there are virtually no Americans in the Philippines. At 6'2", I was pretty conspicuous. Little kids would try to sell me a comb, a newspaper, anything. There's no social safety net, and you saw people missing legs or blind begging for money. It was incredibly sad.

We stayed in the house that my mother - in - law shared with my sister - in - law, her kids and some cousins. When we sat down to eat lunch the day after we arrived, I was given a plate with a little fish on it. Everyone was looking at me, so I began to eat the little fish. My wife nudged me with her elbow. That was all the meat they had for that meal, and I was supposed to take a little piece and pass it.

I could go on, but my point is that I've had some experience with what you're talking about. And I've heard people complain about their economic situation in the US and thought, like you, "what a lazy, spoiled person. You can't even find a job in the Philippines and there have been times that I've worked 2 jobs in this country - which is a great country."

But when I think of some of the things I saw in the Philippines, it's hard for me to equate the expectation of a decent standard of living with a feeling of entitlement. I think that the kind of lifestyle people have to endure in poor countries should be considered unacceptable, although I have no idea how to change things in those places.

jesterville

Great story "electricpawn", I have done some travelling myself, and seen a lot of what you have witnessed first hand. Poor Countries are constantly struggling to feed their own...while Rich Nations continue to waste food and resources. There is no simple solution.

trysts

The Exterminating Angel(1962)

After an opera, some of the rich people get together for a dinner at a mansion. At about three o' clock in the morning it is time for everyone to leave. But, they won't leave...

This is one of the best films I have ever seen. It's directed by the great Luis Bunuel. I laughed sooo much! It's surreal/absurdist comedy, the ending being the whole point of the film, i.e., the church/religion/bourgeoisie, are hysterically absurd! Absolutely brilliant film!Laughing

electricpawn

The Illusionist (2006)

Let me start by saying that I'm a fan of Edward Norton who starred in this movie. I'm not going to disclose details - magicians secrets. Norton plays a spectacularly intense and passionate illusionist. Paul Giamatti and Jessica Biel also performed magnificently. On a literal level, the movie is a love story, but it transcends that in execution. This is an excellent movie, and I recommend it highly.

corrijean

I liked that movie, too, EP.

trysts

Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti are excellent actors! The only thing I've seen Jessica Biel in was "Elizabethtown", which was kind of dull. Thanks, electricpawn!

goldendog

Good to this thread again (thanks kohai).

corrijean

I am very happy to see it back, too.

Thanks, kohai.

jesterville

ok... we can again contribute towards those great threads that "trysts" created...yes sir Bobby...thank you Madam Kohai.

...I really did not understand why there was a need to hide all of "trysts" contributions...it actually gave the impression that she was booted out of chess.com.

jesterville

Hi "LisaV", your "Elizabethtown" experience has now thought you a valuable experience.

The fact is that because of cost considerations, movies are filmed at cheap locations and they just dress-up the place to look like where-ever they are depiction...it is sad, is it not? A lot of these movies are filmed in Vancouva, Canada...and you see all the extras dressed in Indian wear as if they are filming in Bombay, India.

This forum topic has been locked