Forums

Odds & Ends ( etc )

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Oh I see, kind of reminds me of Venice the city of canals. I gather that the whole city is on unstable ground and will just keep sinking. I'm not sure if they can protect Venice with dykes like they do with parts of Holland. 

ivandh

Washington, DC, is also built on a swamp, which gave them a lot of trouble building the metrorail (the second-largest underground rail in the U.S. if I recall). Likewise the Green Line in Boston's T, serving the filled-in Back Bay, is always flooding.

What is it that makes people look at a mucky, smelly, bug-filled swamp and say, "this is a perfect place for thousands of people to live?"

AlCzervik

I think the same thing, Ivan. The story of how New York was built (Manhattan, especially) is really something.

It certainly explains why you chose the desert.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the new posts.

Yes when one thinks of the recent hurricane that struck New York ( and some years back the storm in New Orleans ) one wonders about city planning and preparing for disasters. Thank goodness there were no nuclear powerplants affected by those two storms like the disaster in Japan with the recent earthquake, etc .

cabadenwurt

The answer is 4,109 posts spread over 8 months. And what was the question you ask ? There was a thread on the go here with the title " How Fast Can You Get This Forum Locked ? " ( BTW only 3,881 posts remained after the riff-raff was weeded out ). Wink 

cabadenwurt

March 14th to April 2cnd will be very interesting for Chess fans. London will host the Candidates tournament to determine who will face Vishy Arnand for the World Championship. The system that will be used is a round-robin featuring 8 players. Do the English Bookies have Carlsen in the lead ? ( most likely ).

cabadenwurt

In life it is sometimes difficult to determine what is important and relevant.I saw an interesting T-shirt advertised here the other day. The writing on it said: " Anything unrelated to Elephants is irrelephant! " Seems quite logical to me. 

cabadenwurt

Well it might be a bit early over here but it is well after Midnight over in Europe so:

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY !!! Wink

AndyClifton
AlCzervik wrote:

Or, they just need someone to smack them into reality.

Yeah, looks like it's another TTPD (Talking To Psychiatrists Disorder).

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

Yes indeed Ivandh, I imagine that this is one of the biggest heists ever.

Wow!!!  Half a billion bucks!  Has there ever been a caper that big before?!

This does indeed manage to beat the crap out of the Great Maple Syrup Heist, at least on paper (although truth be told, that one will always have a soft spot in my heart). Smile

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

As I sit here warm and snug in this cute little house eating some very good Carrot Cake ...   

Oh God, I love that stuff!  Screw special lighting--one bite of this and Seasonal Affective Disorder will be forever banned...

(It's also btw something I've only developed a real taste for in the past few years.)

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts and for that nice photo AndyClifton ( I could gobble up that Carrot cake from the photo right now  lol ). Instead I've go to go drag out my little Electric Snow-blower and get rid of the lastest pile of Snow. How bad was it ? Well the City of Edmonton ( Go Oilers ! ) is not too far from here and yesterday they had a 100 vehicle pile-up just South of town there and the main highway was closed for 12 hours. Sort of reminds me of an old Johnny Horton song: " When it's Springtime in Alaska it's 40 below ".  Surprised

EDIT: I've made a correction here now. 

AndyClifton

Okay, I'm merely from California so I don't know these things...what the heck is a "pile out"?  You mean a blizzard comes in the middle of traffic and buries everybody?  Or what?

bigpoison

Pile up.  You Californians got them things.

AndyClifton

Oh.  Well, why didn't he just say so? (dang northerners).

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the new posts. Yup I did make a minor error in my recent little item that I left here but I have several excuses. English is not my first language ( a good excuse that one ). Also due to my recent cold I have had to resort to using strong remedies ( eg: Irish coffee, hot toddies etc ). That is to say I may have been slightly tipsy at the time. Cool

corrijean

Hope you feel better soon, cabby.

netzach

A crash?

cabadenwurt

Thanks Very Much for the kind wishes Corrijean. Mind you it does give me an excuse to brew up some Irish coffee ( I'm having a little nip right now, tastes good ). Smile

Netzach: Yes it was quite a large multi-vehicle pileup. The good part is that nobody was killed but several dozen people did need Hospital care.  

cabadenwurt

Well I've spotted another funny ad here for T-shirts ( often modelled by cute young ladies ). The T-shirt reads: " I USED TO CARE, But I Take a Pill For That Now ". In my case tho I prefer a glass of Beer ( or two ) or perhaps an Irish Coffee, helps me to relax. Cool