Forums

Odds & Ends ( etc )

Sort:
ivandh

I remember reading an article about all the techniques modern art historians have, both for understanding the paintings and identifying frauds. They can even use x-rays to peer "inside" a painting and see what is underneath the final coating, and in some cases found that the artist painted over whole persons or scenes.

I would hate to give up on a painting I'd spent two months and lots of money on paints for... but I guess that's the life of the artist.

cabadenwurt
ivandh wrote:

I remember reading an article about all the techniques modern art historians have, both for understanding the paintings and identifying frauds. They can even use x-rays to peer "inside" a painting and see what is underneath the final coating, and in some cases found that the artist painted over whole persons or scenes.

I would hate to give up on a painting I'd spent two months and lots of money on paints for... but I guess that's the life of the artist.

--- Nice to see you posting again Ivandh.

Some years back I remember seeing a TV show about a Dutch con-man who painted some phony Vermeers during WW Two and sold them to the Nazis. It came to my mind because you mentioned X-Rays. After the war this con-man was put on trial for treason for helping the Germans but he was able to proof ( with the help of the X-Rays ) that he had painted the phony Vermeers and today his version of the Vermeers also hang in a museum ( and he got off free in relation to the treason charge ). 

cabadenwurt

With 2015 rolling along what big events can we look forward to this year ? Well in July Luxembourg will assume the EU presidency. Yes indeed, many of us are very upbeat about that.

cabadenwurt
kaynight wrote:

Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

Hello Kaynight, Thanks for the post. Yes the recent vote in Scotland was very close. Of course we have had some interesting times here Re Quebec. 

netzach
cabadenwurt wrote:
kaynight wrote:

Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

Hello Kaynight, Thanks for the post. Yes the recent vote in Scotland was very close. Of course we have had some interesting times here Re Quebec. 

Thanks for comment Cabbie.

In Scotland we are trying to be persuaded by the British Empire that the vote was "emphatic and settled-will of Scotland".

Scots being Scots they are not abiding by that mantra. UK general election 2015 will be interesting from Scottish viewpoint.

cabadenwurt
netzach wrote:
cabadenwurt wrote:
kaynight wrote:

Thanks for comment Cabbie.

In Scotland we are trying to be persuaded by the British Empire that the vote was "emphatic and settled-will of Scotland".

Scots being Scots they are not abiding by that mantra. UK general election 2015 will be interesting from Scottish viewpoint.

--- Thanks for the post Netzach.

We should have our next vote in a few months I guess. We have another Trudeau in the running, could be fun.

cabadenwurt

Now that we are a couple of weeks into 2015 we should chat about the wide choice of Calendars in use for this year. Some people mainly like photos of beautiful landscapes on their calendars but there are lots of other choices ( Lighthouses, Castles, Horses, Dogs, Cats, Antique Cars etc etc ). I happen to have a very good calendar featuring " Steam Railways Of Great Britain ", nice, having spent many years in the employ of a major railway. Recently I read about another interesting calendar " Dull Men of Great Britain ". One of the fellows mentioned collects traffic cones, another photographs various postal boxes. I however think that the title of this calendar might be incorrect, " Eccentic " should probably replace the word " Dull " in the title.  

cabadenwurt

Hey It's Robbie Burns Day in Scotland ! Holy Haggis Batman !!!

Ok so who has had a " Wee Dram " of Scotch with their morning coffee ( or with their breakfast tea ) ? I like Scotland ( mind you I've not been there, so far ). The best part of Scotland for me is Edinburgh. The best part of Edinburgh is that area where the Innis & Gunn Brewery is located. Please people of Scotland do not let anything bad happen to that wonderful company  lol .  

ivandh

A friend of mine introduced me to one of their brews last week. Was quite good if a bit sweet for my taste.

cabadenwurt a écrit :

We have a fair Scottish population here & pipes could be heard playing Happy Birthday. I know people have mixed feelings about the sound produced by bagpipes so I'll let you decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

cabadenwurt
kaynight wrote:

This is so embarrassing... I live in Edinburgh, but never heard of Innis and Gunn..Having haggis tonight though.. Googled them, their brewery is located in a residential area of Edinburgh. Stand by for further investigation.

--- Thanks for the new posts.

Kaynight: It would only be embarrassing if you were a person who drinks a fair amount of beer and you had not of that brewery. I've never had any haggis so I can't say much about it. Mind you I gather that it is quite popular in the lands North of Hadrian's wall.

cabadenwurt
kaynight wrote:
After further investigation, it would appear that Innis and Gunn have their registered office in a prestigious location in Edinburgh. The brewery is located in Glasgow, a city not recognised as part of the civilised world, hence my lack of knowledge on the company. Mystery solved.

--- I like the way you put that Kaynight  lol.
cabadenwurt
ivandh wrote:

A friend of mine introduced me to one of their brews last week. Was quite good if a bit sweet for my taste.

cabadenwurt a écrit :

We have a fair Scottish population here & pipes could be heard playing Happy Birthday. I know people have mixed feelings about the sound produced by bagpipes so I'll let you decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

--- Ivandh: A lot of Scottish people also came to Canada in the early days, indeed our first PM was a Scottish fellow by the name of Sir John A Macdonald. On the bagpipes I guess it is something that one gets used to, after many years in Canada I don't mind them. A funny story regarding Sir John A is the fact that we have quite a number of people here who speak French rather than English however the PM's Scottish accent was so thick the he needed interpreters to be understood in English or French  lol. 

cabadenwurt

I see that we have thread on the go here entitled " Why Are People So Rude On Chess.com ? ". Wrong Question ( try asking why are people so rude on the internet ? ).

cabadenwurt

Back in 1935 on this date the board game Monopoly was invented ( Yup back 80 years ago ). Hey I just passed GO, where is my $ 200 dollars ?

AlCzervik

A red light camera caught you speeding through. The fine is $275. You owe $75.

cabadenwurt
AlCzervik wrote:

A red light camera caught you speeding through. The fine is $275. You owe $75.

Thanks for the post AlCzervik. Yes they are very sneaky in trying to catch us these days.

cabadenwurt

We don't have a Flag Day here in Canada but we do celebrate July 1st as Canada Day. However it has now been 50 years since we got our new flag, yes our happy little Maple Leaf. I remember our then Prime Minister Lester Pearson ( back in 1965 ) had some work to do to get the new flag accepted but nowadays it is a beloved symbol of Canada. 

cabadenwurt

In this thead we cover odd items from time to time which brings us to the town of Taber, Alberta. They have just brought in some new by-laws there that are rather goofy:

1) No swearing in public,

2) No spitting on the public sidewalks,

3) No gatherings of more than 3 people on public property,

No I'm not making this stuff up  lol. Of course this will end up in court and then most likely go on to our Supreme Court. However when I first heard about this goofy stuff the other day I wondered if I had been transported back to the old USSR ( Soviet Union ). The provincial government here in Alberta does have the power to remove a local council if needed but I didn't hear anything about that yet.   

Joseph-S
cabadenwurt wrote:

In this thead we cover odd items from time to time which brings us to the town of Taber, Alberta. They have just brought in some new by-laws there that are rather goofy:

3) No gatherings of more than 3 people on public property,

No I'm not making this stuff up  lol.   

Oh c'mon, Cabby;  be REAL!        Smile

(Did you mean, public sidewalk?)

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Joseph-S. I forgot to mention the other day that a curfew is now in effect in Taber for minors. On the getting together in groups we do have the Right Of Assembly up here as well so I'm sure that this BS will end up in court soon. I just hope that the mass-media does not get ahold of this goofy stuff.