Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odds & Ends ( etc )


  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #641

    cabadenwurt

    At this time I'm having some brunch here as it is now lunchtime on Dec 31st in this province of Alberta. If I could travel by a very fast rocket-ship westward acoss the Pacific ( & across the international date-line ) I could have been busy welcoming in the New Year, however 2015 is till about 12 hours away for this time-zone. Anyway for people in Australia & New Zealand ( & points close to that area ): HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! 

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #642

    cabadenwurt

    The other day I was busy cleaning off my Globe ( yes a globe that shows all the features of our little planet ) and I noticed something rather odd. It would seem that we have two Prince Edward Islands on our world. Most people with a basic understanding of geography know that there is a Prince Edward Island in the southern part of the Gulf of St.Lawrence. However as it turns out there is another Prince Edward Island and this one is located very far South on our world. Indeed if you were to sail due South from Durban in South Africa you would end up near this Island. The strange thing is having two places with the same name ( I mean how many New Yorks or Romes are there ? ).

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #643

    cabadenwurt

    The Feb 2015 issue of " Ideas & Discoveries " brings to light the mystery of the two Mona Lisas. We all know about the one that is on display at Louvre ( and is insured for $ 800 million dollars ). The Isleworth Mona Lisa was found in England in 1913 and is a copy of the better knownn Mona Lisa however on the 2cnd one the background is not finished. The Isleworth Mona Lisa was sold to a Swiss art foudation in 2008 where it has been closely examined. One theory is that Da Vinci was not satisfied with the earlier version and did not finish it but painted a new picture instead. 

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #644

    ivandh

    I remember reading an article about all the techniques modern art historians have, both for understanding the paintings and identifying frauds. They can even use x-rays to peer "inside" a painting and see what is underneath the final coating, and in some cases found that the artist painted over whole persons or scenes.

    I would hate to give up on a painting I'd spent two months and lots of money on paints for... but I guess that's the life of the artist.

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #645

    cabadenwurt

    ivandh wrote:

    I remember reading an article about all the techniques modern art historians have, both for understanding the paintings and identifying frauds. They can even use x-rays to peer "inside" a painting and see what is underneath the final coating, and in some cases found that the artist painted over whole persons or scenes.

    I would hate to give up on a painting I'd spent two months and lots of money on paints for... but I guess that's the life of the artist.

    --- Nice to see you posting again Ivandh.

    Some years back I remember seeing a TV show about a Dutch con-man who painted some phony Vermeers during WW Two and sold them to the Nazis. It came to my mind because you mentioned X-Rays. After the war this con-man was put on trial for treason for helping the Germans but he was able to proof ( with the help of the X-Rays ) that he had painted the phony Vermeers and today his version of the Vermeers also hang in a museum ( and he got off free in relation to the treason charge ). 

  • 12 days ago · Quote · #646

    cabadenwurt

    With 2015 rolling along what big events can we look forward to this year ? Well in July Luxembourg will assume the EU presidency. Yes indeed, many of us are very upbeat about that.

  • 12 days ago · Quote · #647

    kaynight

    Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

  • 12 days ago · Quote · #648

    cabadenwurt

    kaynight wrote:

    Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

    Hello Kaynight, Thanks for the post. Yes the recent vote in Scotland was very close. Of course we have had some interesting times here Re Quebec. 

  • 12 days ago · Quote · #649

    netzach

    cabadenwurt wrote:
    kaynight wrote:

    Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

    Hello Kaynight, Thanks for the post. Yes the recent vote in Scotland was very close. Of course we have had some interesting times here Re Quebec. 

    Thanks for comment Cabbie.

    In Scotland we are trying to be persuaded by the British Empire that the vote was "emphatic and settled-will of Scotland".

    Scots being Scots they are not abiding by that mantra. UK general election 2015 will be interesting from Scottish viewpoint.

  • 8 days ago · Quote · #650

    cabadenwurt

    netzach wrote:
    cabadenwurt wrote:
    kaynight wrote:

    Hi cab, just come across this thread. General Election in the U.K. this year. So what you might ask? Watch the SNP vote in Scotland run away with it.

    Hello Kaynight, Thanks for the post. Yes the recent vote in Scotland was very close. Of course we have had some interesting times here Re Quebec. 

    Thanks for comment Cabbie.

    In Scotland we are trying to be persuaded by the British Empire that the vote was "emphatic and settled-will of Scotland".

    Scots being Scots they are not abiding by that mantra. UK general election 2015 will be interesting from Scottish viewpoint.

    --- Thanks for the post Netzach.

    We should have our next vote in a few months I guess. We have another Trudeau in the running, could be fun.

  • 6 days ago · Quote · #651

    cabadenwurt

    Now that we are a couple of weeks into 2015 we should chat about the wide choice of Calendars in use for this year. Some people mainly like photos of beautiful landscapes on their calendars but there are lots of other choices ( Lighthouses, Castles, Horses, Dogs, Cats, Antique Cars etc etc ). I happen to have a very good calendar featuring " Steam Railways Of Great Britain ", nice, having spent many years in the employ of a major railway. Recently I read about another interesting calendar " Dull Men of Great Britain ". One of the fellows mentioned collects traffic cones, another photographs various postal boxes. I however think that the title of this calendar might be incorrect, " Eccentic " should probably replace the word " Dull " in the title.  

  • 5 days ago · Quote · #652

    cabadenwurt

    Hey It's Robbie Burns Day in Scotland ! Holy Haggis Batman !!!

    Ok so who has had a " Wee Dram " of Scotch with their morning coffee ( or with their breakfast tea ) ? I like Scotland ( mind you I've not been there, so far ). The best part of Scotland for me is Edinburgh. The best part of Edinburgh is that area where the Innis & Gunn Brewery is located. Please people of Scotland do not let anything bad happen to that wonderful company  lol .  

  • 5 days ago · Quote · #653

    kaynight

    This is so embarrassing... I live in Edinburgh, but never heard of Innis and Gunn..Having haggis tonight though.. Googled them, their brewery is located in a residential area of Edinburgh. Stand by for further investigation.

  • 5 days ago · Quote · #654

    kaynight

    After further investigation, it would appear that Innis and Gunn have their registered office in a prestigious location in Edinburgh. The brewery is located in Glasgow, a city not recognised as part of the civilised world, hence my lack of knowledge on the company. Mystery solved.
  • 4 days ago · Quote · #655

    ivandh

    A friend of mine introduced me to one of their brews last week. Was quite good if a bit sweet for my taste.

    cabadenwurt a écrit :

    Hey It's Robbie Burns Day in Scotland ! Holy Haggis Batman !!!

    We have a fair Scottish population here & pipes could be heard playing Happy Birthday. I know people have mixed feelings about the sound produced by bagpipes so I'll let you decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

  • 4 days ago · Quote · #656

    kaynight

    A bad, bad thing.. Trust me.

  • 3 days ago · Quote · #657

    cabadenwurt

    kaynight wrote:

    This is so embarrassing... I live in Edinburgh, but never heard of Innis and Gunn..Having haggis tonight though.. Googled them, their brewery is located in a residential area of Edinburgh. Stand by for further investigation.

    --- Thanks for the new posts.

    Kaynight: It would only be embarrassing if you were a person who drinks a fair amount of beer and you had not of that brewery. I've never had any haggis so I can't say much about it. Mind you I gather that it is quite popular in the lands North of Hadrian's wall.

  • 3 days ago · Quote · #658

    cabadenwurt

    kaynight wrote:
    After further investigation, it would appear that Innis and Gunn have their registered office in a prestigious location in Edinburgh. The brewery is located in Glasgow, a city not recognised as part of the civilised world, hence my lack of knowledge on the company. Mystery solved.
     
    --- I like the way you put that Kaynight  lol.
  • 3 days ago · Quote · #659

    cabadenwurt

    ivandh wrote:

    A friend of mine introduced me to one of their brews last week. Was quite good if a bit sweet for my taste.

    cabadenwurt a écrit :

    Hey It's Robbie Burns Day in Scotland ! Holy Haggis Batman !!!

    We have a fair Scottish population here & pipes could be heard playing Happy Birthday. I know people have mixed feelings about the sound produced by bagpipes so I'll let you decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

    --- Ivandh: A lot of Scottish people also came to Canada in the early days, indeed our first PM was a Scottish fellow by the name of Sir John A Macdonald. On the bagpipes I guess it is something that one gets used to, after many years in Canada I don't mind them. A funny story regarding Sir John A is the fact that we have quite a number of people here who speak French rather than English however the PM's Scottish accent was so thick the he needed interpreters to be understood in English or French  lol. 

  • 2 days ago · Quote · #660

    cabadenwurt

    I see that we have thread on the go here entitled " Why Are People So Rude On Chess.com ? ". Wrong Question ( try asking why are people so rude on the internet ? ).


Back to Top

Post your reply: