Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Old TV Shows

• 23 months ago · Quote · #201

cabadenwurt

I recently picked up a DVD on a Comedy show that has been mentioned before in this thread. It has been off the air for a couple of years but is still considered one of the best Comedies of all-time. By saying that the lead character of the show was called Jerry we know of course that it was " Seinfeld ". The DVD that I have covers the 5 episodes of the 1st season and one can see that they were on the right track from the beginning.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #202

cabadenwurt

One thing that most of us do not like to hear is sad news about stars that were on our favourite TV shows. A series that I enjoyed very much was Happy Days. Erin Moran grew up in front of our eyes on that show playing the part of Richie Cunningham's little sister. She also did a bit more work on TV for a couple of years after Happy Days went off the air but then left center-stage. It seems however that recent years have created financial difficulties for Erin Moran and she is now reported to be living in a Trailer park with few prospects.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #203

1pawndown

Sorry to hear about Richard Dawson and Erin Moran, but I loved the cast photo from "Dark Shadows." Made me remember "Quentin's Theme." I haven't heard that in decades!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #204

1pawndown

Anybody recall a program called " The Guns of Will Sonnet" with Walter Brennan ? His recurring line was "No brag, just fact." 

• 22 months ago · Quote · #205

SquareDealer

@1pawn - yeh, just barely tho.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #206

SquareDealer

I can't resist.

"Have Gun Will Travel" reads the card of a man

A knight without armor in a savage land

His fast gun for hire is a glowing wind

A soldier of fortune is a man called

Paladin

Paladin, Paladin, where will you roam?

Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #207

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the posts. Yes there were some very interesting theme songs for TV shows over the years. Another Western with a nice theme was " Rawhide " which of course had a young Clint Eastwood in the series. Also the instrumental theme used for " Bonanza " was a very lively number.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #208

SquareDealer

I saw a varitety show, I think it was, which that evening was featuring several Bonanza cast members. They sang the Bonanza theme. I only remember the very first few lines:

Anyone that fights with any one of us

Bonanaza!

Anyone that fights with any one of us

He's gotta fight with me!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #209

SquareDealer

Rollin' rollin' rollin'

Though the streams are swollen

Keep them dogies rollin'

Rawhide!

[Something, something] leather

[Something, something] weather

Are waitin' at the end of my ride.

Head 'em up! move 'em out! move 'em out! ride 'em in!

Head 'em up, move 'em out, Rawhide!

Ride 'em in! ride 'em out! Ride 'em in! Ride 'em out! 

Ride 'em in, Rawhide!

To the best of my memory. And wasn't that Mario Lanza singing?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #210

SquareDealer

Nope, now that I think it, it was Frankie Laine. (???)

• 22 months ago · Quote · #211

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts SquareDealer. I'm afraid that I'm also in the dark about the singer of the theme for " Rawhide ". Years ago somebody told me that it was the elderly gent who played the cook on that show but I'm not sure about that, it was a performer with a very strong voice tho  lol.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #212

SquareDealer

Who is the tall dark stranger there?

Maverick is his name

Riding the trail to who knows where

Luck is his companion

Gambling is his game.

Riverboat ring your bell!

[Something that rhymes with bell]!

Luck is the lady that he loves the best

Natchez to New Orleans

Livin on jacks and queens

Maverick is the legend of the west

Maverick is the legent of the west

• 22 months ago · Quote · #213

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the info SquareDealer, you certainly are up to date on TV themes. Being a fan of Comedies and also Bluegrass music the theme for the Beverly Hillbillies was another one that I liked.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #214

SquareDealer

Come on and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed

Cabadenwurt you asked for it! (Wait! What about that show You Asked For It?) Speaking of comedy themes, required singing is theme from Gilligans Island.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #215

SquareDealer

The Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers, The Cisco Kid. Yancy Derringer, Bat Masterson. The Bat Masterson series was based on a real man of the same name who was a sports writer (Boston?) by trade. I understand that when he tired of the west he went back east and resumed his sports writing career.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #216

SquareDealer

Everybody knows Roy Rodgers was a real guy. Some say the Lone Ranger was based on the career of a man named Bass Reeves.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #217

SquareDealer

There may be some few out there who don't know that Chuck Conners (the Rifleman) pitched in the majors.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #218

Steve212000

After the Star Trek franchise,and Doctor Who,I would consider Blake's7 one of the best SciFi series.Cool

• 22 months ago · Quote · #219

goldendog

Did you know there was an episode of The Rifleman in which chess was featured prominently?

If you can get hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/94353#x-0

• 22 months ago · Quote · #220

kco

[COMMENT DELETED]

Post your reply: