Forums

Remember When?

Sort:
Joseph-S

Remember when family and friends could all walk together to the departure gate at airports.  Board with just a ticket, no ID, and then have a smoke while flying?

When busses (at least Trailways) had stewardesses?

When the corner mailbox was red, white & blue?  (Is that right??)

When the TV used to go off the air late at night?

When .... (your memories).

Dirkus

Remember when Pluto was a planet?

...when your tv set got three channels

...when yield signs were yellow

...when cars didn't have seatbelts

...when the furnace burned coal

...when you had to crank the phone to call someone

...when your phone was on a "party line"

Timotheous
  • when both stamps were 10cents each
  • when calls from a pay phone were 10cents each
  • when there were pay phones (or at least more commonly)
  • when my apple 2 e computer had a big floppy disk as it's hard drive
  • when you needed to know a little basic programming to use a computer
  • when you didn't have to delete most of what you fondly remembered from a public place because basic values were more commonplace.....
mirage

I pass a reminder of this sort of thing every day where I go running.  I run around a beautiful reservoir, and at one end of it there's a large dam.  When I was little, the dam was open to the public to walk across, as was the park below.  Today it's all off limits and has been for years.  This is it here, this photo must be old.  I guess they are too afraid someone is going to jump off or get hurt.  Families used to come here all the time for recreation.

trysts

...remember when I paid my rent on time...

goldendog

When I was a kid the potatoes were this big! <hands apart as if holding a head>

kco

remember when ice block were 5 cents, milk 2 cents bread the same....

apple and milk were given to you at kindy for free part of the health thing... 

Timotheous
I remember and I still am proud. http://www.inverseconspiracytheory.com
timbeau
Joseph-S wrote:

Remember when family and friends could all walk together to the departure gate at airports.  Board with just a ticket, no ID, and then have a smoke while flying?

And thankyou very much to the USA for imposing upon the rest of the world their (so-called) 'free market' ideology, 'democratic' traditions and Walt Disney culture.  

Timotheous
timbeau wrote:
Joseph-S wrote:

And thankyou very much to the USA for imposing upon the rest of the world their (so-called) 'free market' ideology, 'democratic' traditions and Walt Disney culture.  

Joseph-S
timbeau wrote:

Sorry about that. 

(BTW, that eyeball is one ugly-arse avatar you've got there.)

kaspyheir

I can't remember a thing

Joseph-S
kaspyheir wrote:

I can't remember a thing

For you, perhaps it's better that way!          Smile 

Timotheous

Canberra here we come! 

Wink

kaspyheir
Joseph-S wrote:
kaspyheir wrote:

I can't remember a thing

For you, perhaps it's better that way!           

Lol, I just enjoy what is in the present

RichColorado

I remember when I used to love to play chess!

timbeau
Timotheous wrote:

Canberra here we come! 

Please, Timoth, for the sake of your sanity (and your wallet), avoid Duckberg(aka Canberra) at all costs. This city is,in my humble opinion, Australia's biggest mistake. 

kco

don't worry they are thier base up in Darwin.

Timotheous

Timbeau, my wallet is rather empty at the moment anyway. And I think my sanity is on even shakier grounds than my finances. 

But thanks for the advice. I will probably only be traveling online for years to come.

It is hard to imagine, though (from my point of view) any place in Australia being that bad though.

timbeau
Joseph-S wrote:
timbeau wrote:

Sorry about that. 

(BTW, that eyeball is one ugly-arse avatar you've got there.)

One would have thought Joseph_S' and his 'melancholia' (ie: this thread) to be the wistful memories of a  man. At least an adult -perhaps a 'mature'person- reminiscing about them good ol' days days.  But after that last childish sentence I'm not so sure. 

Oh, by the way, lit'lJoe,  here's one for your collection ...                                              

There used to be things called books ( No, not movies Joey, books). There were even special books called 'dictionaries' which were full of words and their meanings. You could ask a grown up to find one for you. (RememberJayJay:  dictionary - not movie.)

Now, look up the word 'avatar', you fucken shit-for-brains dill. And then, goose,  go back to playing with your (eensy-weensy) self and your pathetic, self-serving, rose-tinted  memories.