Forums

Remember When?

Sort:
oinquarki

That stuff is surprisingly accurate; shopping by picture phone has been met and exceeded, solar energy is growing big and with many applications, and I'm sure there are much more surprising things than sawdust in synthetic food.

electricpawn

There was a brand of bread in the 70's that had "sawdust" in it:

In 1977, "low-calorie, high-fiber" Fresh Horizons brought comedy to the bread aisle. That's when consumers learned--from newspaper articles, not ads or labels--that the bread's fiber--listed as "cellulose" on the label--came from wood pulp.

I ate that bread, and it wasn't bad.

corrijean
oinquarki wrote:

That stuff is surprisingly accurate; shopping by picture phone has been met and exceeded, solar energy is growing big and with many applications, and I'm sure there are much more surprising things than sawdust in synthetic food.

That's one reason it caught my attention. I often enjoy reading retrospectives that go back to see how accurate predictions such as those in the article turned out to be.

Conquistador

Cell phones according to the 60s.

Pat_Zerr

Remember when soda came in glass bottles?  It just seemed to taste so much better back then instead of now when it's all in plastic bottles.

Pat_Zerr

Yeah, I love the "throwback" Pepsi they have on occasion.

Pat_Zerr

Regarding that article from 1950, I remember reading a child's book from the 50's titled "You Will Go to the Moon" and talking about how moon travel will be a common occurrence once we built moon bases there.

By the way, scientists, I'm still waiting for my F'ing jetpack. 

electricpawn

Remember when missed field goals in the NFL were spotted at the opponents 20 yard line instead of the line of scrimage? A missed field goal was a no-risk punt. I'm glad they changed that rule.

corrijean
N2UHC wrote:

Regarding that article from 1950, I remember reading a child's book from the 50's titled "You Will Go to the Moon" and talking about how moon travel will be a common occurrence once we built moon bases there.

I've posted this picture before, but it fits so well here:

Crazychessplaya

... black and white TV sets

... no cellphones

... no PCs

... typewriters

... Betamax format

... phone booths

... diskettes

goldendog

Timotheous
Remember when you were happiest? Hold that thought.
Joseph-S
corrijean wrote:
N2UHC wrote:

I've posted this picture before, but it fits so well here:

One man has certainly made some progress on this idea.

I would love to have that for my commuter.

(His videos are fun to watch, too.)

electricpawn

Remember when computers were run with punch cards?

Remember when Ma Bell was the only game in town?

Remember when we had factory jobs that paid a decent wage?

Remember when the American Dream was that if you were willing to work hard you could make a decent living, and that your children would be better off than you?

corrijean

I found a computer punchcard when the business I work for moved a few years ago. I'd never seen one prior to that. I now keep it on the bulletin board in my office.

Joseph-S
corrijean wrote:

I found a computer punchcard when the business I work for moved a few years ago. I'd never seen one prior to that. I now keep it on the bulletin board in my office.

Maybe some don't even know what they looked like.

Crazychessplaya

corrijean

Pong

DCMS

Remember when:

No matter existed in the universe?

The chemical reactions had not taken place to form our galaxy?

Joseph-S
--a wrote:

Remember the Dark Ages when they taught Creationism as fact in schools.

And to think they now teach the theory of evolution as "fact".   HA!