Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
Cystem_Phailure

When you click the down arrow (to share the vid) below the YouTube video and select embed, there are two options-- one of them is called something like "old version of embed".  You want that one.  select the entire body of text it provides and paste that into the comment you're composing here on chess.com.

This part is important-- don't just submit the comment, first use the Save and Preview option.  Your video won't show in the preview, but once you see the preview you can click Submit from there.  Finally, you may have to reload the page of comments to have your video visible to you in your comment, but if you went through the previous steps properly it should be there.

Cystem_Phailure

Thinking of funny old songs, I was just a very young kid when the The Serendipity Singers' version of Bean In My Ears came out in 1964, and I thought it was great.  My parents had to listen to that again and again for the next couple of years.  Wikipedia says the song was banned from airplay in various locations when physicians complained of getting kids brought into their offices after having shoved beans into their own ears.

Pete Seeger put a twist into his cover of the song, turning it into an early Vietnam War protest song (copied from the Wikipedia entry):

The song was covered by Pete Seeger in his 1966 album Dangerous Songs!?. Seeger's version satirically attacked Lyndon B. Johnson's involvement in the Vietnam War. In addition to Chandler's original lyrics, Seeger sang that "Mrs. Jay's little son Alby" had "beans in his ears", which, as the lyrics imply, ensures that a person does not hear what is said to them. To those opposed to continuing the Vietnam War, the phrase suggested that "Alby Jay", a loose pronunciation of Johnson's nickname "LBJ", did not listen to anti-war protests as he too had "beans in his ears".

Javan64

Well, here goes...

This is probably my favorite song by Dolly Parton & it is MUCH better than that version by Whitney Houston IMO...

Javan64

Thanks for your help with YouTube, Cystem_Phailure!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. One can never go wrong with a performance by Dolly Parton and I guess Thanks are also due for the late Porter Wagoner For recognizing Dolly's talent early on and having her on his TV show.

Since we are into funny songs I remember a recent rude comment in a thread here and I ended up adding a line from a Little Jimmy Dicken's song " May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose ", another nice cute number  lol. 

Javan64

"Bird of Paradise" was his biggest hit, making it to #4 on the country charts in 1965.  He also discovered Marty Robbins on a Phoenix (?) TV show.  He's 91 now & still performs on the Opry occasionally!  LJD describes himself as "Willie Nelson after taxes."

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Cystem_Phailure. I can't remember the Bean song, not sure if it made it up here. As for Pete Seeger he had some good songs out but then of course his politics got him into trouble.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info Javan64. Back when I used to have Cable I had the chance to see The Grand Ole Opry quite often. Jimmy also had a cute song with a line that went: Take A Cold Tater And Wait; giving rise to his nickname  lol.

Javan64

The nickname "Tater" was definitely inspired by this song & given to him by (ta-daaa) Hank Williams!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the update Javan64. Another Oldtimer that I used to see host the Opry was the late Grandpa Jones who also had out some funny songs. He was of course best known to play Clawhammer style Banjo while doing his singing. However I've got some old VHS footage where he does a nice job on the Guitar as he is singing. His wife is shown accompanying him on the Mandolin ( I believe she could also handle the Fiddle and the Guitar as well ).    

Javan64

Speaking of Grandpa Jones: those neat boots he wore were over 100 years old!

I watched Hee Haw religiously...

Cystem_Phailure

Speaking of the Hee Haw/Opry types, how about Roy Clark?  Absolutely amazing with guitar and banjo, and no slouch with a fiddle, mandolin, or harmonica, either.  2 National banjo championships by age 15, and he was still seriously pursuing both baseball and boxing as careers.  Lucky for everyone that he chose to follow through with music instead!

Javan64

"I'm 'pickin'" "and I'm a'grinnin'" ... Roy Clark & Buck Owens were pretty darned good together.

Cystem_Phailure

Here's Roy playing something a little different from his usual fare.  I love the part at 2:18 ! Cool

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts and updates. Yes Hee Haw was a fun show but I did have a small bone to pick with the format that they used. I thought that they had too much Comedy as I would have preferred see more Music both from the Cast as well as from the Guests. 

Javan64

The comedy is what's remembered these days IMO.  Besides, don't forget all the regular combination of comedy & music, ie, "I searched the world over & thought I found true love; you met another & phfffft you was gone..."

And...let us not forget what is arguably the most famous skit on the whole show:  Junior Sample's Used Cars!  Just call BR-549!

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

With all of these good Artists being mentioned my mind went back to the middle 1970s and the Don Kirschner's Rock Concerts. I may have messed up the name but I remember that he had most of the big acts on his show. It was on late-night TV on Saturdays and when I was on the evening shift at work I would rush home to catch the programs.   

Best of all was the Midnight Special...which actually for a number of years featured live performances of a number of storied acts (including even The Stories!)...here they are, along with an amusingly hokey intro from Mr National Anthem himself, Jose Feliciano:

AndyClifton
Javan64 wrote:

The comedy is what's remembered these days IMO.  Besides, don't forget all the regular combination of comedy & music, ie, "I searched the world over & thought I found true love; you met another & phfffft you was gone..."

Heehee, I actually remember that thing! (another PopCult epiphany). Smile

kgwkyle

Between the Beatles and the Stones... well the Beatles are like the founders of Rock & Roll and had great music... but so did the Stones... they are both great bands overall though Laughing

AndyClifton

So basically kgw, you seem to be saying that the Beatles are the Stones...