Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
Elona
Being good friends with the the twins of mr. Knofler, I have no choice but to say... ROLLING STONES!!!!! Paint it black is one of my favourite songs.
electricpawn

electricpawn

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. Sad news again earlier this week with the passing of Davy Jones from the Monkees. It seems that the poor fellow has indeed taken " The Last Train To Clarksville ".

Alex_Rusinov

Fan of Scorpions, little Deep Purple,The doors, Metallica. I really like the song Paint in Black by Rolling but generally I'm metal type of guy.

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

Sad news again earlier this week with the passing of Davy Jones from the Monkees. It seems that the poor fellow has indeed taken " The Last Train To Clarksville ".

And now no doubt he's turning "Shades of Grey"... (hey, he started it!).

Javan64

The Monkees even had a song about Davy Jones' grave: "Can You Dig It?"

cabadenwurt

And will Davy Jones make it into Rock & Roll Heaven ? Well you know " I'm A Believer ".

Javan64

And all of The Monkees' equipment is in a metal box at the bottom of the ocean.  That's right, Davy Jones' Locker! Laughing

cabadenwurt

Well I hope that the box is sealed and waterproof so that we can go down there and rescue those items because of course " We All Live In A Yellow Submarine ".

AndyClifton

Hey, those guys were just a bunch of fake Monkees wannabes from England!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post AndyClifton. One fun area of Rock that we haven't covered much here is the " Surfing Sound ". I luv the songs that the Beach Boys had out. Mind you Jan & Dean were doing great too until the sad " Deadman's Curve " incident. When I hear songs like " Surfing Safari " I get into a good mood, fun music !  

Javan64

Here's the link to a very interesting website:

www.upchucky.com

AndyClifton

Still love this album!...

AndyClifton

(Oh yeah, and I just bookmarked that upchucky thing...it looks very cool indeed!)

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts and for the info. I've been over on Youtube ( again ). An area of interest of mine is the " Big Band Era " and also the Singers that came out of that scene as well. Bing Crosby was first known from back in that period and one very interesting song that he had out in the 1930's was " Brother Can You Spare A Dime ? " ( reflecting on the Great Depression of course ). Today I found another version of that song as put out by the Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance group, done in a nice Blusey style. Now I don't remember everything that happened back 40 or 50 years ago and this group seems to have slipped my mind ( they also have several other nice songs over on Youtube by this group as well). 

Cystem_Phailure

I always think of "Brother (Buddy) Can You Spare a Dime" as a Gershwin tune, even though I've read and re-discovered again and again that it isn't.  Same era, but Dime was of course written (lyrics) by Yip Harburg and composed by Jay Gorney.

Speaking of Gershwin, I've always really liked a lot of his (and "their", for works with lyrics, which were done by brother Ira) material, musicals and otherwise, and they are very popular still.  But thinking about it, it seems like there haven't been all that many well known covers done of Gershwin's songs, many of which would work in different musical genres.  Or maybe there were covers done that were well known half a century ago, way before I would have been paying attention.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info Cystem_Phailure. The " Big Bands " of the 30's and 40's had out a lot of good stuff that seemed to be influenced by Jazz, I gather that Louis Armstrong, among others, was also popular in that scene.

As I've mentioned before I'm a radio person ( with the odd DVD movie thrown in ) and the first radio turns itself on here at 8 AM and most often a radio is on until 12 Midnight. Today I'm in the mood for 50's on 5 and they are playing some hot numbers. I also like it when I hear a song that is not played too often. " My Baby Left Me " done by Elvis was just on and that song could serve as a reminder of how he energized things right from his early days.   

AndyClifton

Hey, here's a fun one!  That's Carly Simon with her sister, appearing on the old folkie show Hootenanny:

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info AndyClifton, one can see the start of Carly Simon's career there in that clip.

Rather a sad item in the news the other day in regards to Folk & Roots music with the passing of Earl Scruggs, one of the Pioneers of Blue-Grass music ( and of course the " Guru " of the Banjo ). The late Lester Flatt was the singing partner in the long-lived Flatt & Scruggs team that at one time was part of Bill Monroe's Blue-Grass Boys ( with Bill Monroe claiming to be the Father of Blue-Grass ). Flatt and Scruggs wrote the theme for " The Beverly Hillbillies " TV show and often appeared as guests which allowed them to do a song or two during the program. The soundtrack for the film " Bonny and Clyde " was also done by Flatt & Scruggs ( I've still got a copy of that soundtrack LP Album here somewhere ). Earl Scruggs was 88 years of age.