Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
cabadenwurt

being a fan of many types of music including good old Classic Rock and Roll the question that I would ask is who was the best act all time ? Not a fair question I guess when one considers all of the great groups and as well as the single stars ( so much terrific music --- so little time  lol ) 

Segelzwerg

for me it is The Who :D

cabadenwurt

Thanks for leaving a post Segelzwerg. Yes The Who had some good songs out but that group seems to have faded from memory a bit. Somewhat similar to Credence Clearwater Revival who also produced some good tunes but are not much remembered today.

Cystem_Phailure
cabadenwurt wrote:

Yes The Who had some good songs out but that group seems to have faded from memory a bit.

I guess that's why Townshend and Daltry were selected as the Superbowl halftime performers in 2010 for 106 million live viewers. Cool

Segelzwerg
Cystem_Phailure wrote:I guess that's why Townshend and Daltry were selected as the Superbowl halftime performers in 2010 for 106 million live viewers. 

I saw it and it was very nice show.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the update Cystem Phailure ! I missed that show entirely, mind you we have our own football league in Canada and not all sports fans up here watch American football. Also I don't have cable or satellite TV and the rabbit ears have a very limited range  lol. Mind you I think that I'm on pretty safe ground with Credence Clearwater Revival as I gather the former members of that group are not on speaking terms. The CCR's lead singer did have a hit on his own a few years back. Something like " Put me in coach, I can play Center Field ". And please allways remember --- Rock and Roll will Never Die !!!   

Cystem_Phailure

I've got to admit I didn't see that halftime show live (missed that superbowl)-- I caught it on YouTube.  A nice medley of Pinball Wizard/Baba O'Riley/Who Are You/See Me Feel Me/Won't Get Fooled Again.  Townshend was fully warmed up by the start of Who Are You and did a good job, including an ongoing battle with his jacket and untucked shirt that kept jumping out and draping down over his right hand as he played.  Maybe it reminded him of all the times he got tangled up in his guitar cord back in the pre-wireless days. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJ0hJnljgw

1pawndown

Several members of CCR (not the Fogerty brothers) are touring as "CCR revisited, but only The Stones go on and on. At least as long as Keith Richards passes for being alive.

Cystem_Phailure

Yeah, when it comes to survivability, Richards is humanity's answer to the cockroach.  I've always thought we should breed him with Grace Slick to produce a subrace that would be completely resistant to chemical pollution.

cabadenwurt

Thanks again for the info Cystem Phailure. I had a look at the video from 2010 and it's great to see the fellows there having such a good time and also doing a great job at the same time. Pinball Wizard is definitely one of my favourite songs so enjoyed that very much !  

cabadenwurt

1pawndown Thanks for leaving a post here. I'm not sure if it is possible tho to have a honest version of CCR without the Fogerty brothers. Then there is the question as to who has the legal rights to the name of the group. They may end up in court like the Beach Boys did a few years ago. Hmm  Beach Boys, another great group ---   

cabadenwurt

Hail  Hail  Rock and Roll !!! to use a line from Chuck Berry. Which reminds me the only problem with using the title that I did on this thread is that I may have given the impression that I was not interested in the pioneers of Rock before the British Invasion. Nothing could be further from the truth. Chuck Berry and the others that started off Rock and Roll had some terrific songs out back in the 1950's. So Roll Over Beethoven And Tell Tchaikovsky The News !!!  lol 

Cystem_Phailure

I suppose people could argue favorites forever for just about any criterion, but I'd have a hard time accepting Townshend and Entwistle as 3rd at guitar/bass talent out of those 3 groups.  And in addition to being widely lauded within the industry for his bass playing, Entwistle also played most of the horns on their recordings, such as the french horn on the Overture of the original Tommy album (first appearance at 0:38).

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. One thing that is sometimes overlooked in regards to The Beatles is what one could call the Ed Sullivan factor. The fact that Ed had The Beatles on his very popular TV show first gave them a leg up on everyone else that was to follow. Of course the Lennon and Mcartney song writing team was also very helpful --- and thus Beatlemania was born. 

cabadenwurt

Technology update: I've just recently discovered the Satellite radio system that has been coming on strong in recent months. At my age finding something new that is very enjoyable is a real pleasure ( I'm in my 60's now ). This new radio system has 120 channels on it and a fair number of them are commercial free and playing great music. I really like the channel that is all 1950's Rock and Roll. Also nice is the channel that is all 1960's rock  ( plus a channel for 1970's Rock and one for the 1980's, very nice ). There are quite a few other music channels as well but one does have to pay a fee for this service as with Satellite TV tho at a lower rate.    

Cystem_Phailure

I dropped my XM satellite service several years ago, but I used to really enjoy the Blues channel before they canceled it.  Actually there were quite a few channels I liked (quite a few of which were eventually canceled) enough to listen to regularly, everything from punk/ska to African to classical to 1940's big band.  I can find a lot of that stuff on various online radio streams for free now, but satellite radio was nice.  Maybe I'll get back to it.  I never did have it in my car.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for stopping by again Cystem Phailure. The Satellite system that is popular up here is the Sirius brand. Other relatives here have using this system for several years and they seem to like it. I got the system mainly for use in the house, mind you I could use it in my vehicles too. However this package that I've got has a boombox option with it so it is quite handy for use indoors. I've got the 1950's channel on now and they just had a couple of my favouites on: Johnny Horton with The Battle Of New Orlean and Chuck Berry with Johnny B Good, great stuff. 

Cystem_Phailure

Well, I guess I'm using an archaic term here (XM), although the service I subscribed to was strictly XM at the time.  In the U.S. XM and Sirius "merged" in 2008 (after I had canceled my subscription) and for a period they offered both combined XM/Sirius channel subscriptions as well as continuing individual channel packages under the original two headings.  Early this year the independent XM identity was eliminated and now everything is technically the Sirius XM company.

In Canada it went a little differently, because unlike in the U.S., Sirius originally had a larger market share in Canada than did XM, so they didn't want a 50/50 merger.  Also, there are other independent partial owners of the Canadian counterparts.  Adding another complication, XM had the rights to NHL broadcasting, so Sirius had pressure on them to complete some sort of merger so they wouldn't lose hockey fans.  Canada finally completed their merger between XM and Sirius just this summer.  

But after all these so-called mergers, there are still "XM"-only radios and "Sirius"-only radios and thus separate services still have to be made available.  What a mess! Cool

cabadenwurt

Thanks a lot for all of the info Cystem Phailure. I'm very glad now that I waited until the dust settled on those mergers before I got started with the Satellite stuff. And as far as the NHL broadcasts go they need to be careful to get things right as we had riots up here last Spring when things didn't go the way some fans wanted. Hockey is very serious stuff up here  lol.

Cystem_Phailure

Yeah, I grew up watching Lafleur, Cournoyer, Savard, Lemaire, Trembley, Lapointe, Dryden, etc., on TV.  Go Habs! Cool