Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

Cystem_Phailure

The Frijid Pink cover has always been a favorite of mine, and I've posted that link a couple times myself somewhere or other in these forums.  I've also heard the Frijid Pink version in a couple movies or television backgrounds-- most recently when I watched the Brit series White Teeth (produced in 2002) just a couple weeks ago, and their cover is being played at a party in one of the episodes.

I haven't yet followed either link that was given for the Outlaws a few posts back, but I'm just assuming one of them must be for Green Grass and High Tides. Cool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

HessianWarrior

Cystem_Phailure wrote:

The Frijid Pink cover has always been a favorite of mine, and I've posted that link a couple times myself somewhere or other in these forums.  I've also heard the Frijid Pink version in a couple movies or television backgrounds-- most recently when I watched the Brit series White Teeth (produced in 2002) just a couple weeks ago, and their cover is being played at a party in one of the episodes.

I haven't yet followed either link that was given for the Outlaws a few posts back, but I'm just assuming one of them must be for Green Grass and High Tides. 

Yeah Green Grass and High Tides and Ghost Riders in the Sky. Glad to hear Frijid Pink isn't dead.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

HessianWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3btVhwr48

Great sounds, lyrics, and guitar by Dire Straits-Telegraph Road.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

Javan64

Does anyone remember Mungo Jerry?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

HessianWarrior

Javan64 wrote:

Never knew about him in the first place.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

Javan64

HessianWarrior wrote:
    Javan64 wrote:

Hah!  "He" was a trio (?).  Their biggest hit (& they only had a couple) was called "In the Summertime."

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

HessianWarrior

Javan64 wrote:
    HessianWarrior wrote:
    Javan64 wrote:

Hah!  "He" was a trio (?).  Their biggest hit (& they only had a couple) was called "In the Summertime."

So What.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #168

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. I checked the video of Mungo Jerry doing " In the Summertime " over on Youtube and boy that terrific old song brings back memories. Also came across a couple of other great old songs ( and there are so many on Youtube ), The Stampeders with " Sweet City Woman ", The Zombies with " She's Not There " and Lobo With " Me And You And A Dog Named Boo ".    

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

cabadenwurt

AndyClifton Thanks for the info on the Beach Boys, I had forgotten about that. I do remember tho that George Harrison got into legal trouble over a song as well.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

erasner

I don't think that the copywright issue is a reflection on the value of the art of George Harrison or the Beach Boys. I am a professional musician who has copywrighted 120 pieces of music, and have educated myself a bit on copywright law.

I am not familiar with the copywright issue that the Beach Boys encountered, but I remember the George Harrison issue. The claim was that "My Sweet Lord" was too similar to an older R&B song, and represented copywright infringement. I remember hearing both songs, and was not at all impressed that there was a case for infringement (in order for there to be infringement the melody or words have to be stolen: chord progressions cannot be copywrighted), but a jury was convinced, and Harrison had to pay millions of dollars. He griped about this in the later hit "This Song", which says, "This sing, there's nothing special about it, and all my experts agree, I'm not stealing anyone's copywright, no . . .".

The important point is that both the Beach Boys and George Harrison were very talented songwriters, and their music should be evaluated for what it is. They did not make a habit of copywright infringement, and probably never did it intentionally.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

trysts

Rebecca's better than all of them put togetherLaughing

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

electricpawn

HessianWarrior wrote:
    Cystem_Phailure wrote:

I haven't yet followed either link that was given for the Outlaws a few posts back, but I'm just assuming one of them must be for Green Grass and High Tides. 

Yeah Green Grass and High Tides and Ghost Riders in the Sky. Glad to hear Frijid Pink isn't dead.

I like Frijid Pink's version of The Summertime Blues.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

electricpawn

This one's good too (couldn't find Frijid Pink's version.)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #174

electricpawn

• 3 years ago · Quote · #175

Cystem_Phailure

House of the Rising Sun has had so many versions done, and in so many completely different ways.  It's gone now, but a couple computers back I had a set of more than 100 different mp3s of House of the Rising Sun that I'd collected-- everything from the better known covers to jazz trio instrumentals, gospel choir, etc.  It was amazing all the different flavors that could be brought out of the song.

One of my favorite versions is a sort of reggae twist, by "Guitar" George Baker on his Mojo Lady CD (2006).  Unfortunately I don't know any links to that cover available on the web except for a weak live performance of the song by Baker on YouTube that wasn't really anywhere near as good as the studio cut.

By the way, cabadenwurt, you being a big fan of satellite radio might appreciate that that was how I first learned of Baker's cover of Rising Sun a few years ago, hearing it on the Blues Channel on XM.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #176

Javan64

On a slight tangent, the old hymn "Amazing Grace" can be sung to many different tunes, including "House of the Rising Sun."

• 3 years ago · Quote · #177

cabadenwurt

Nice posts, Thanks. Today would have been a Birthday for Carl Wilson ( his 58th I guess ) so I'm thinking of " Good Vibrations ". Also heard today that Dion will soon release a new album, all Blues I gather which should be good.

Cystem Phailure Thanks for mentioning the blues channel but I seem to be stuck on the 50's channel that plays all old Rock & Roll. I just seem to love that music a whole bunch  lol. Mind you " House Of The Rising Sun " is a terrific song to be sure.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #178

HessianWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYKwXh5YgE

Fabian-Tiger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0janfcZ8LUw

Rick Nelson-Traveling Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qWmX6i0dc

Jerry Lee Lewis-Whole Lot of Shaking Going On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifEc-RazQlY

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis in concert in 1969 with the Doors in L.A.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #179

Javan64

Carl Wilson ... didn't he drown and wasn't he a friend of Charles Manson?  Sounds like he made some poor choices. Frown

• 3 years ago · Quote · #180

cabadenwurt

Good questions Javan64, I'm afraid that I don't know all of the stuff that went on with the Beach Boys. I was mainly interested in Brian Wilson as he did most of the writing for the group plus he was lucky enough to come back from a serious drug problem.

Thanks for the info HessianWarrior. I checked out Fabian doing " Tiger ", nice lively song. As for Jerry Lee Lewis, well he is one of my favourites from way back. Ricky Nelson had out some nice songs as well, mind you some other Actors did some singing also. Tab Hunter had out a nice version of " Young Love " and of course Frankie Avalon had several hit songs.   

Post your reply: