Forums

Why buy a tablet pc and which one would you buy?

Sort:
Richard

Hey folks,

Just contemplating buying a tablet pc, but wanted to get your opinions first on them. Preferably those of you that own them.

I currently own a very high end desktop and laptop but am looking to see whether there is a need for a tablet in my current range:)

Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated folks :)

Regards

Hydra

Roncummins

I just bought an ipad3 traded up from ipad 1' i do all my chess on it plus watch hd movies read my books my email. I would not go back to a laptop. I know they are a little pricey but worth it , in my opinion.

Richard

Thanks Ron :)

NimzoRoy

I currently own a very high end desktop and laptop but am looking to see whether there is a need for a tablet in my current range:)  Hydra

If you have to ask a bunch of strangers if you need something, I'd say there's a very strong likelihood that you don't need it. You already have a very high end PC AND laptop and now you need a tablet too? I think not...but maybe you also have an unlimited bank acct...

And what is your current range? Did you mean current rating?

PS: I don't own a laptop or tablet, or want to - but of course there's always tons of other crap that I absolutely must own (if only I could afford to)

http://www.alternet.org/story/72568/

http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-stuff/

Namssob
NimzoRoy wrote:
If you have to ask a bunch of strangers if you need something, I'd say there's a very strong likelihood that you don't need it. You already have a very high end PC AND laptop and now you need a tablet too? I think not...but maybe you also have an unlimited bank acct...

And what is your current range? Did you mean current rating?

PS: I don't own a laptop or tablet, or want to - but of course there's always tons of other crap that I absolutely must own (if only I could afford to)

http://www.alternet.org/story/72568/

http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-stuff/

People say this a lot in forums, but what they don't understand is asking a question in a forum is not the same as walking up to a "stranger" on the street to get a random opinion.

1)  Forums are an easy way to ask a question once, and then have potentially hundreds if not thousands of listeners who share your same interests hear your question and possibly provide a meaningful response.

2)  Forums are typically populated with "like-minded" individuals. So although we are technically strangers, it is obvious we all enjoy chess, computers, and forums.

So, there is no need to bash the OP for asking his question here.  It is quite legitimate for Hydra to ask his question in this forum.

Hydra:  Nobody NEEDS a tablet PC, mobile device, etc. These are all conveniences and "toys".  So if you look at it that way, your decision may be a little more clear.

I use an iPad.  I've "played around" with other devices at stores, and those that friends have had.  I would not switch to anything else, but mainly because I am already comfortable with the Apple interface (I also own an iPhone), love the sync features between the two (via iCloud and iTunes), and there are simply far more apps available for the iPad.

However, an iPad cannot totally replace a laptop.

I also write documents, use elaborate spreadsheets, and give presentations.  Those things CAN be done on an iPad, but it's not as easy as the commercials lead you to believe.  I've attempted all of the above, and in every case, I've returned to my laptop for the more complex activities.  This forum post, for example, is just so much easier to enter from a computer than an iPad.

If you're looking for a cool toy to play chess, listen to music, play other games, surf the web, check email, read books, and look cool - the iPad is a great way to go.  if you're thinking it might eliminate the hinderance or need of a laptop, you will be disappointed.

Richard

Thanks to both of you for your comments, yeah i guess i just needed peoples opinions who own tablets to see what positives or negatives are involved to see if its worth parting with the cash :)

Thanks for your comments so far :), they do help:)

Sred

I own even 2 tablets, a 7 inch Galaxy and a 10 inch Galaxy. Especially the 7 inch is extremely useful because it's really portable. I use it mainly for playing and studying chess, reading ebooks, doing everyday stuff like email etc. Highly recommended! All the things that feel awkward on a smart phone due to the tiny screen become comfortable on a 7 inch tablet.

Richard

Mmm, good point thank you Sred

NimzoRoy

So, there is no need to bash the OP for asking his question here.  It is quite legitimate for Hydra to ask his question in this forum. Namssob

I wasn't bashing anyone, just trying to make a point: How much stuff does anyone need to be happy? All I can say is, no amt of material possessions has made me happy. As a resident of the USA, I am firmly convinced we (in the US at least) are all brainwashed from cradle to grave to always want more, more and more; and it's very difficult to de-program oneself of this attitude - I still have a long way to go.

PS: Go to the local library and look your question up in Consumer Reports magazine they rate PCs, MACs, laptops, notebooks and tablets a few times annually. From what I've read it seems to me the really nice tablets are made by Apple and they're really overpriced for what they are.

Richard

I have to agree with you there Nimzo, i dont find any material possessions brings true happiness, but i guess its more of a convenience nature that i ask :)

Sred
NimzoRoy wrote:

I wasn't bashing anyone, just trying to make a point: How much stuff does anyone need to be happy?

NimzoRoy, that is really easy to answer: you need a nice chess set (and two tablets, of course Wink).

NimzoRoy

@Sred: I do have a nice chess set AND a really nice custom made chess table, but no tablets. I'd be real happy (for a little while at least, until I "needed" something else really urgently) with a brand-new desktop PC, since I really don't need it to be mobile.

corrijean

I have avoided tablets and smart phones because I am already on the internet so much, it seems that I would never escape it if I had those devices. My boss gave me a Kindle Fire. I passed it along to my husband, but I have used it a little. In my opinion, a laptop is handier.

corrijean

Oh, I actually like my old Kindle better than the Kindle Fire. The old one is smaller, lighter, and the screen doesn't have nearly as much glare. You can take your entire library along on a trip while sacrificing less space than a book would occupy.

kshc027

Tablet PC is probably more portable and efficient.