Forums

Tell Us Why You Are a Premium Member

Sort:
brenan

Hello Chess.com Premium Members,

Unfortunately, there are a lot of chess players who don't realize how awesome it is to be a premium member. We need your help to tell the world why you are a premium member of Chess.com.

We are looking for 3 or so videos answering this one question:

Why are YOU a Chess.com Premium Member?

Rough Criteria:

• Short. Between 30-45 seconds
  • Concise. Just top 1-3 reasons you love being a Chess.com member
  • Genuine. Just be you and be real. Don't get too flowery. We probably won't use any videos with animated intros or outros or anything like that. We just want the raw video review without any fancy editing
  • Post your video to youtube and send us the link

We will be using a few selected videos to display on various pages on our site to help members learn the benefits of becoming a premium member. We will need your consent to use your video (all or in part, or even just the text) on the Chess.com website. So, obviously don't send us anything if you're not ok with that. 

Here's a really rough example of a review I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6HDUG1ggI

The audio is a bit off, but I just made this quick using Windows Live Movie Maker. There are lots of tools to help you shoot a webcam video of yourself. I just made a quick example to show you the rough format of what we're looking for, not to put words in your mouths. 

In addition to helping out other members and getting your video highlighted on Chess.com, we are also going to give a FREE 1-year diamond membership extension to anyone who's video we choose to use (regardless of your actual premium membership level).

So, make your video response to the question and post it to this thread when you are done. 

Thanks,

Brenan

erik

great idea!

Krames

I'm a premium but I don't want anything for free and I don't see myself making a video so I'll just type here . . .

The number 1, most important reason why I am a premium member is that I LOVE chess.com and I can't imagine NOT giving back to a company who gives me so much. I also love the access that my membership provides. Chess is one of my very favorite things, and chess.com is a huge part of my connection to chess.

Best,

Ted

OldHastonian
Krames wrote:

I'm a premium but I don't want anything for free and I don't see myself making a video so I'll just type here . . .

The number 1, most important reason why I am a premium member is that I LOVE chess.com and I can't imagine NOT giving back to a company who gives me so much. I also love the access that my membership provides. Chess is one of my very favorite things, and chess.com is a huge part of my connection to chess.

Best,

Ted

I agree; the fact is that if there weren't Premium Members, Chess.com wouldn't exist in its current format.

It must be very expensive to provide the range of resources available on this site.

Now, how to make a video...Undecided

SirBenjamin

Use your smartphone, people!  Video to follow shortly;  I need that free year!

omidnabi
Cause I hate ads lol no but seriously I dont have time to make a video but the website offers a lot of good services and i quite enjoy it. i just wish it was a bit cheaper!
aanker

I don't want anything and I don't plan to make a video either, however the reason I contributed to CHESS.COM was to help you pay the hosting costs.

Doing that might allow other new or returning chess players access to the site to play and hopefully learn.

Since I joined I've noticed that you have really done a nice job focusing on chess and improving Chess.com in many ways.  Bravo Zulu! :)

OldChessDog

Chess.com is awesome! However, I think you would probably want someone a little more photogenic than myself to make a video. I make Quasimodo look like a super model Wink

solarbird

i reached a goal so i bought a membershipSmile.

TheRealThreat

I became a premium member to give my support to this wonderful chess site. Back in 2007 there was just a handful of members here. For the site to be what it is today the creator of Chess.com Erik and his crew need capital to make this site fantastic. I still want a shirt E..lol. Back in the day Bill Wall wrote very infomation chess articals and gave very good analysis on players games. Mr. Wall made it worth while to keep coming back to this site. There have been many improvements and I must say I'm impress. Nowadays I love the Videos, Tatics Trainer, Chess Mentor, Computer workout, Game Explorer, Chess tournaments, Live chess. Articals by GMs IMs, FMs NNs and Experts. Finally sad to say, Kinda miss Cheater1...He was entertaining

balbs

Yep I agree with boojwa - I tried to join Facebook but they turned me down when they saw my face....

illmaculate

is it too late to make a video cuz ill do that no problem i love my premium membership

NachtWulf
[COMMENT DELETED]
Chessking47

The first 19 seconds of the video were enough for me to understand!

CaptainPike

No video for me, either. I'm a premium member mostly because I wanted access to my games indefinitely.

Defensor

I don't want to make a video. So I explain my reasons there: 1. I want to play more than one tournament. 2. I like to use Game Explorer database. 3. I like to exercise Tactics Trainer. 4. I think I shold support chess.com for its good work.

PhillyDog1964

Cool I didn't have to think twice about becoming a premium member! for 1, I like the fact that I am helping to support the site, and 2, it is the only way to have access to all chess.com has to offer in the way of videos, tactics training, and all the other tools which are necassary in order to improve my chess play. And am all about improving my chess abilities! What I like the most is that I get to learn from the best and highest rated players! Being a Diamond member is AWESOME!!

NineofWands

Because I thought it was a nice site but unfortunately it has changed without my permission and therefore I am now not getting what I paid for and Premium members should be offered refunds if they do not like the new layout and wish to cancel because of this. Frown

URQB1234

Want to better my chess

Kasparella

I upgraded yesterday mainly for full access to the videos.

I  reached a point where my chess playing is not improving. Reading books is ok, but I find them a bit tedious, so I figured give the video's on here a try. So far I watched a couple and they are really helpful and quite entertaining.

Seems better value than buying a whole load of books I won't read.

One thing I do wonder about is letting non members play so many games. Maybe if they were limited to say 10 games as on other sites, it might encourage more people to contribute? Just a thought.