Forums

Looking for Opponents for 900 Strength 8 yr old

Sort:
ArtNJ

Hey all, my daughter has an account on here and has played a couple of adults which is OK since I supervise, but it would be nice if she had some kids to play with.  I would also love it if someone's kid wanted to play a game on FICS at game/30 time control once in a while. 

check2008

Sounds like an FBI trap to me Sealed

Tongue out

ArtNJ

Not funny check2008.  Well, ok, maybe a little. 

Her school's chess club starts at 3rd grade, and I havent taken her to a tournament yet, so it seems logical to see if anyone else on the site is teaching their same age/strength kid. 

BDV

My daughter (age 7) plays regular games on ICC with very few problems.  People she plays don't know her age, and she knows to never to tell them.  I use +censor on anyone who types anything remotely annoying.  She's played kids online that she's met at tournaments, but for them to both want to play at the same time has proved rare.  If she were to only play against people she knew were kids, she'd almost never play chess online.  I think if the playing strength is comparable, that's the important thing.  My guess is that my daughter has played quite a few kids online and not known it.  ICC is half price for kids.

I haven't used the online chess here much, so I can't compare the two.  But what I really like about ICC and Dasher is being able to analyze her games with her right after she's done, using a chess engine, arrows and highlighted squares.  Seems like a good way to learn. 

If your daughter's playing strength is at a USCF rating of 900 she'll find plenty of competition in 'Seek Ads.'  I'd stay away from the 'Pure 15-minute' button with her, though, for a number of reasons...

-Tim

WaterAlch

I'm not a 900 rating, but I'm more than willing to spend time helping. Toss me a message and a friend add letting me know when you want to try playing a couple games.

DragoniteTWG

"technically" I am a kid (I am 15 almost 16), so I could help her if you need me to help. As for competiiton, I agree it should be based on rating, so go to online or live chess and narrow down your searches for her playing ability. As far as chess.com goes, they are pretty diligent at censoring "unflattering" remarks.

ArtNJ

Thanks all, I know she can play games with adults, and she is.  I just have to watch her closely -- she called one of her opponents (who was crushing her) a "fish" totally out of the blue.  ("Fish" as a taunt was the equivalent of something like "I'm crushing you fool" back in the 80s when I used to play at a chess club with others my age.)  He took it well, remained silent and continued to take all her pieces. 

It seems she wont progress much at this point due to her modest interest in chess, but thats ok. 

Kernicterus

cute.  maybe you can find female players of her level who play regularly enough? 

ArtNJ
RainbowRising wrote:

hang on, your daugher called the other game names and you're worried that other people are the problem?

No, I am not worried about what adults say since I monitor her games, and I made sure she wont say anything at all again, so I'm not worried about that either.  I just thought it would be nice if there were other kids she could play with.  But as several have pointed out, it doesnt really matter what age she plays, and she has 2 games vs adults now.   

deepOzzzie

um i will be happy to play her i have many students who are about your daughters age. I am currently the only chess coach in my city. So if she is keen on learning something i am happy to go through her games with you and her. :) For free off course. :) Just drop me a message if ur interested. 

Kernicterus
RainbowRising wrote:

oh right ok

does she want to play with children? if you are makign sure there is no communication there is no difference in her playing a chimp than a person, so long as the games good right :)?

hmm.  this is giving rise to other thoughts in my head.  See post 2.