Forums

We to introduce children to Blitz

Sort:
raghav8

I have had different opinions around this topic.

Positive: It increases the speed at which children can calculate and arrive at a good move.

Negative: If played frequently the children can start avoiding comprehensive thinking before making a move.

Your thoughts please.

trysts

I agree with your positive and negative assertions, but I think they should be introduced to blitz and should be able to choose whatever type of chess they wish to play. Whatever makes it fun and interesting for themSmile

gambit13
trysts wrote:

I agree with your positive and negative assertions, but I think they should be introduced to blitz and should be able to choose whatever type of chess they wish to play. Whatever makes it fun and interesting for them

Raghav8, your concerns are valid. Depending on the age of children I would limit the amount of blitz played as it develops bad habits such as quick thinking and dependence upon openings.

I think that a combination of all kinds of chess would be most beneficial for them but would probably limit blitz, as it is the most attractive form of chess.

AlexKabam

As an elementary student, I dislike blitz,I find it has enforced more rushed and careless move making in normal games.

nonowho

my chess life...

age 4: learned to play chess

age 6: chess club (elementary)

age 10 - present: BLITZ + Tournaments

Tactickle

I have found that both quick games and computer chess induce carelessness in my children, however I play many quick games with them so that they develop a "feel" for different types of openings and immediate recognition of tactical opportunities.

Dutchday

In my experience, little children always play blitz, even with half an hour on the clock. They really need to be persuaded to slow down and more importantly, they need a reason to think. If you stress it too much they may become slower, but they won't actually think about the position. This type of deep thinking is usually seen quite late, around age 10 and up.

I think you can only offer blitz and slower games, offer the right instructions and hope they slow down on their own.

Tactickle

Dutchday, you make a good point.  In addition, they seem to enjoy a quicker game and it is important that they enjoy chess at ages 5 & 7 or they will not want to keep learning.

I have recently found that a good way to train careful thought is to have them do tactics problems, or they will look over my shoulder as I do them online.  Then I walk them through some part of the combination and they will figure out the rest.

Richard

Hmm, im not entirely sure to be honest its a tough one. I agree with the positives and negatives mentioned, but i do think its more important that they do learn that comprehensive level. 

I always played from blitz and i feel like its stunted my ability to improve. Obviously not completely but somewhat. Now im very impatient with long games so i need blitz. Also children are at there best learning age when young so its best to learn then rather than later. 

Comprehensive chess is like the foundation, then they can build on that by moving into blitz and bullet etc :)

Just my opinion anyway :D

-Hydra

fleiman

In my opinion Blitz is very interesting and develops tactics very well.

nonowho
echecs06 wrote:

It depends on what your objectives are. Blitz might teach them that they do not need to think in order to play chess.

I don't think that kids (anyone) can play chess with out thinking. You have to think to make a legal move.

and yes I do know what you ment but you need to work on your choice of words