Forums

Age on live chess

Sort:
Ciel-kun

Hello guys, 

I have been playing live chess for while, and I found a little problem.. Some players seems to be so skilled that sometimes I feel like I'm just too dumb. But who knows maybe they are older and/or more experienced then I am.

So I have come up with this little suggestions, hope you take it in consideration. Here we go:

It would be great to have an "age" bracket before the players username, and if possible his experience years (If he did put the info in his profile), As a way to increase a player's self confidence.

It will be in this shape : (Age ~  Years/Months of Experience)

For exemple: (17 ~ 1Y) Ciel-kun, would mean I am 17 years old and my experience is 1 year of playing.

So that's it, give me some feedback on it and maybe come up with your own suggestion to improve this. :)

ChessSponge

You shouldn't worry about age, there are older players who are bad, younger players who are great and vice versa. One of the beauties of chess is age doesn't matter, only skill.

Same with experience level. Some people learn faster than others so there could be someone who's played for 10 years and only plays at an 1100 level and someone who has played for a year and plays at a 1600 level.

Your rating should get you into a range where you are playing people of similar skill level. Sometimes you will win, sometimes you will lose. Instead of feeling bad about a loss, use it as a learning experience to analyze the game and see why that loss happened.

I find setting my live game matching to +/- 100 rating points as it keeps it in the range where I can't count on winning and won't definetly lose. So every game is an interesting challenge.

Ciel-kun

I see, thanks for your answer. 

I'm always trying out the website features and watching videos to improve my play, but it seems I can't help but play a bad since I play way too fast :/

ChessSponge
Ciel-kun wrote:

I'm always trying out the website features and watching videos to improve my play, but it seems I can't help but play a bad since I play way too fast :/

Step one in solving a problem is to identify the problem.

You have discovered you play too fast. Now you can work on slowing down and taking the time to find better moves.

When you go to move consider the following things:

1)Checks, what checks can be made by you and your opponent.

2)Captures, what captures can be made by you and your opponent.

3)Threats, what is your opponent threatening to do on his next move or two.

Just taking the time to slow down and consider those three things before deciding on a move will improve your play.

kissinger

A solution to a problem that does not exist.  People sometimes will lie about their age and years experience.  The rating number tells you all you need to know IMHO.  Besides play the board not the person.  Just thinking outloud here....

Bronco
Ciel-kun wrote:

Try to play a couple of online(turn based) games (1 move per 24 hours) to work out some of your ideas that you want to do in a game. This way your forced to play slower, learn some things, and hopefully have a better understanding of the positions on a board during a faster game.

Ciel-kun

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try the turn based games :)

ChessSponge

Also, make sure to consider opening principles. Develop your pieces, control the center, castle, connect your rooks. Try not to move the same piece twice before move 10.

I put a couple annotations in here to help you know things to look for.

Ciel-kun

Your annotations were really perfect! thanks a lot!

However, 

At 26. I could've played the bishop to a4 rather than b5 and moved my knight to c2 don't you think?

ChessSponge
Ciel-kun wrote:

Your annotations were really perfect! thanks a lot!

However, 

At 26. I could've played the bishop to a4 rather than b5 and moved my knight to c2 don't you think?

You could have, but white would have just continued to work on mating with something like: Bxf7 Nf6 Rh8 Rxh7. Or white would just accept the knight trade as trading pieces is typically beneficial to the player who already has a material advantage.

That means your focus would be trying to save the king, not trying to free the knight. So as black instead of Ba4 I'd probably go for Bxe8 getting rid of one of the attack pieces even though it is a trade. Although truthfully white would have to make a lot of mistakes for black to come back at the move 26 point because the material difference is so large.

Ben_Claxton

age shouldn't really matter so long as you play against others similar to your own rank... good to see another 17 year old enjoying chess =)

Morris_W3

Oh, to be young again!

Ciel-kun

@ChessSponge It was more like a fail game from the start anyways x)

@jimmyclaxton1 Thanks man :)

@mfw019 LOL

dahal32

If you want to improve, publish your defeats.... Best way to do it.

breakerofwind

The object of the game is checkmate. White seemed to have forgotten that in his quest for material, and could have mated with 20. Ne7+ Kh8 21. Rxf8#

Ciel-kun

@breakerofwind

I don't see how he could checkmate me.. If he played Rxf8 it's a + not # since I can just capture with my king?

breakerofwind

Ok, I'll try again.  20. Ne7+ forces the king to h8.  If the king is on h8, it cannot capture the rook on f8.

Ciel-kun

Oh I see, thanks for your advice :)