Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Allow Political Content on Daily Puzzle Comments Under Certain Circumstances


  • 12 months ago · #61

    n00less_cluebie

    Another analogy.  What if I decided to post chess puzzles, but insisted that I also be allowed to put up advertisements for my AMAZING PENIS CREAM!  Yes, great, you've added more chess content, but in the end, you're ONLY using the chess content so sell some more of your AMAZING PENIS CREAM.

    In the end, you're still selling your political views, instead of selling AMAZING PENIS CREAM

    If you want to still share your chess puzzles, great.  If you want to sell your (political) AMAZING PENIS CREAM, find another place to do it

  • 12 months ago · #62

    Eoin_From_Eire

    Well it wouldn't be so bad, but you do keep going on about a certain political party, not just peace, and you do keep sending amazon links to political books to people, and your name does point to you being somewhat of an anarchist. This is chess.com, Everyones entitled to their opinions, but this site is for chess, chess fans, chess players, stories, games, ect ect. There might be a political forum on here, look for that. But when I sign onto here, the last thing I want to see is people posting political advertisments and opinions and links. Keep it to your self and we won't have a problem

  • 12 months ago · #63

    PeaceRequiresAnarchy

    Eoin_From_Eire wrote:

    Well it wouldn't be so bad, but you do keep going on about a certain political party, not just peace, and you do keep sending amazon links to political books to people, and your name does point to you being somewhat of an anarchist. This is chess.com, Everyones entitled to their opinions, but this site is for chess, chess fans, chess players, stories, games, ect ect. There might be a political forum on here, look for that. But when I sign onto here, the last thing I want to see is people posting political advertisments and opinions and links. Keep it to your self and we won't have a problem

    This does not refute my argument that if Chess.com changed their commenting policy on the Daily Puzzle to allow some political content under the conditions I have described then the amount of quality chess content on the first page of Daily Puzzle comments could be expected to rise, and that the benefits to users of this quality chess content being present would more than justify the presence of easily-ignorable links to political discussions.

  • 12 months ago · #64

    macer75

    ipcress12 wrote:

    Try to avoid sarcasm. Try to avoid ad hominems.

    There are valid slippery slopes. I did not say that the OP was suggesting that religious content be included.

    What's a ad homynym?

  • 12 months ago · #65

    Eoin_From_Eire

    PeaceRequiresAnarchy wrote:
    Eoin_From_Eire wrote:

    Well it wouldn't be so bad, but you do keep going on about a certain political party, not just peace, and you do keep sending amazon links to political books to people, and your name does point to you being somewhat of an anarchist. This is chess.com, Everyones entitled to their opinions, but this site is for chess, chess fans, chess players, stories, games, ect ect. There might be a political forum on here, look for that. But when I sign onto here, the last thing I want to see is people posting political advertisments and opinions and links. Keep it to your self and we won't have a problem

    This does not refute my argument that if Chess.com changed their commenting policy on the Daily Puzzle to allow some political content under the conditions I have described then the amount of quality chess content on the first page of Daily Puzzle comments could be expected to rise, and that the benefits to users of this quality chess content being present would more than justify the presence of easily-ignorable links to political discussions.


    Not really, In theory folks talking about politics more would improvment in the quality of the content, But as we know people bicker, people spam, call names, get into arguments, and before you know it people are just as focused on the politics as on chess, just in irrational ways and then where are we? folks that just want chess might leave the site, and the atmosphere would be pretty bad. If you want to talk politics, go to a political forum. You want to talk chess, come here.

  • 12 months ago · #66

    n00less_cluebie

    PRA:  You appealed to the Moderators, and failed.  You've now appealed to public opinion and failed.  If you want to add to the chess content of this site, great, but your arguments have been refuted and dismissed, and I don't think I've even read ONE post supporting your position, let alone an overwhelming majority which would be necessary to even CONSIDER getting the moderators to overturn their policies.

    Let it go.

  • 12 months ago · #67

    steve_bute

    n00less_cluebie wrote:

    Let it go.

    I disagree. Do not let it go. If you believe this is important, then go set up your own web site, call it "Chess-N-Politics", and wait for the masses to flock to your call.

  • 12 months ago · #68

    n00less_cluebie

    Sorry, let me clarify.  Let go the matter of allowing political comments with chess here at the chess.com puzzle area.  DO do as steve_bute suggests and create your own site/forum etc.

  • 12 months ago · #69

    PeaceRequiresAnarchy

    n00less_cluebie wrote:

    PRA:  You appealed to the Moderators, and failed.  You've now appealed to public opinion and failed.

    It's not within my control to make the public rational or make the moderators adopt policies that will increase the amount of quality chess content on the now-terrible-quality first page of Daily Puzzle comments.

    What I can do is present arguments for policy modifications by appealing to the fact that there are good reasons to expect that they would increase the amount of quality chess content on the Daily Puzzle, and hence increase the utility of the Daily Puzzle comments to the average user. This is what I did here.

    And contrary to what you said...

    n00less_cluebie wrote:

    ...your arguments have been refuted ...

     

    ... the only argument that came close to a refutation was the argument you implied yourself:

    n00less_cluebie wrote:

    By the same token, most of those "First!" and "Easy" comments, should likewise be deleted  :-P

    I conceded that no political content should be allowed if we accept the premise that other worthless / spam comments (such as "First!", "Easy", that take up space, pushing valuable comments with chess-content to the third, fourth, fifth, etc, pages of the Daily Puzzle) should be deleted too.

    However, this is a concension that your alternative policy modification is better than the policy modification I presented. It is not an argument that my policy modification is worse than the current policy. Hence, I maintain that nobody has provided a refutation to my argument that my policy modification would be better than the current policy.

  • 12 months ago · #70

    dashkee94

    PRA

    Sorry, you have failed to convince me that this would be a good idea.  I don't know how many times I've seen, for example, science posts on other sites that just deteriorated into the same political "did not--did too" squabbles that you can find almost anyplace and anywhere.  One of the things I like about this site is the almost complete absense political commentary.  You don't go to political sites and post about chess, you've said that already, so this is a one-way street for you--to force it down our throats.  Others have suggested starting your own political post here, so that those who are so inclined can post to their heart's content, but you don't want to do that either.  You say you want to discuss the tactical nuances of a given position, but can't stand all the "first" "got it!" "easy" comments, so why don't you make an alternative thread, like yeres30 does?  There have been plenty of comments and suggestions here to help you with this, but you seem to think we all have to agree with you sentiments.  I do not.  I do not want political commentary in my chess site.  If I feel strongly enough about a political subject to post my opinion of it, there are countless sites on the web that encourage me to do so, and I often take advantage of them.  This isn't one of those web sites.  If it doesn't deal with chess, I don't see the point of it being here.  If you don't post chess topics on a political web site, show us the same respect.  I'm here for chess.  If this site deteriorates into a political mud-slinging contest, I'll dump it in a heartbeat.

    You have lost the arguement.  You may still think that you can continue to justify it, but the overwhelming majority here don't want it.  The answer is no.

  • 12 months ago · #71

    Eoin_From_Eire

    PeaceRequiresAnarchy wrote:
    n00less_cluebie wrote:

    PRA:  You appealed to the Moderators, and failed.  You've now appealed to public opinion and failed.

    It's not within my control to make the public rational or make the moderators adopt policies that will increase the amount of quality chess content on the now-terrible-quality first page of Daily Puzzle comments.

    What I can do is present arguments for policy modifications by appealing to the fact that there are good reasons to expect that they would increase the amount of quality chess content on the Daily Puzzle, and hence increase the utility of the Daily Puzzle comments to the average user. This is what I did here.


    Politics has nothing, and i mean nothing to do with the quality of chess, the quality of chess, has something to do with the quality of chess, but you are just using that as a mask to convince folks so you can keep spreaking your political non sense without as much shove back. Give it up already, it's obvious letting politics on the site won't do anything but let you post more and more of your view, and you know it. Besides, you have to think of kids on here with parental super vision. you think parents are going to want their kids on a chess site that has a bunch of idiots bickering back and fourth about politics, and in some cases posting flat out propaganda? no, it's a good thing this site won't allow you to do that. Take your obsessive need for shoving your view in everyones faces to another site.

  • 12 months ago · #72

    AlCzervik

    Now I'm wondering, is chess propaganda?

  • 12 months ago · #73

    macer75

    I'm surprised that chess.com hasn't commented on this thread yet. But then again, they don't really need to I guess - it's not that hard to guess what they're going to say.

  • 12 months ago · #74

    Eoin_From_Eire

    DeweyOxberger wrote:
    Eoin_From_Eire wrote:

    Politics has nothing, and i mean nothing to do with the quality of chess,

    I'd just like to comment on this little rationalization that people like to tell themselves.  Some people seam to think you can separate politics from other aspects of life, in truth you cannot.  Politics and government are intertwined with every aspect of your existence.  Everything from your food supply to how waste water containing your feces is regulated directly or effected by government and politics.  This includes the quality of chess in the world.  Are your schools funded well enough to supply chess in the curriculum?  Is your internet regulated by someone with a political agenda like China or Iran preventing people from accessing chess sites easily and legally?  Are your homeless chess players being busted because there is a system of laws criminalizing poor people?

    Politics reaches everywhere.  Chess.com doesn't want it here, they don't want anyone riled up, instead you should be calm and agreeable and spend your money.

    Well of course politics is everywhere, I'm just not in support of politics here because im sick of propaganda and people with certain political views trying to recruit other people into their political affiliation, im also tired of arguing with those idiots every 5 minutes of my day, and the more I see folks fall for the propaganda of failed poilitics, the more I loose faith in humanity. I like debating Politics, im good at it, I just don't want to do it and see it every day, I know what ecnomy is, I know ALOT about politics and economics, So you don't have to talk to me like I don't

  • 12 months ago · #75

    ipcress12

    DeweyOxberger: You can make the same argument for sex and I'm not interested in reading about sex here either.

    As Eoin notes, the problem is not the discussion of politics but the discussion of politics in order to recruit others to a viewpoint.


Back to Top
This forum topic has been locked.