15422 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
If I start a new game directly from the online chess main page I can specify my opponent rating.
However, if I want to start a game from a specific position I cannot.
Under "show more options" there's the starting position but I no longer have the option to set my opponent's rating range.
This is extremely annoying because I would like to practice some openings with people who know them, but as soon as I launch the game in literally 1 second the challenge is already taken by somebody 300 points lower than me. So I have no chance to practice because they know zero opening theory.
I'd like to be able to choose the rating range of my opponent even starting a game from a specific position. Thanks.
Step by Step
1. Click on Play at the top left of the page, then choose online chess in the drop down
2. in the box to the right below the adds and allurts is a box with a few options like "Home" and "Start New Game" click on "Start New Game"
3. (The above U already knew proberbly) in the box choose opponent make sure it's set to random at the left and the min rating is "ur current rating" and the max is empty.
4. Below this make sure it's set to standard chess in the first drop down, then click on "Show more options" (The tick box below) This will open a new drop down called "Choose starting position" choose any opening U want from the list
5. I reccomend you give the game a name (In the box just below choosing a starting positions) like testing opening.
Oh thank you!
The step I was failing is number 3. I didn't notice the button "random" on the left, where I can set what I want.
5/30/2015 - Full Out Assault
by jomonpj19 a few minutes ago
Grünfeld defence books?
by ThrillerFan a few minutes ago
Over The Board Competitions
by Anarchos61 2 minutes ago
Insensitive users on chess.com
by kaynight 2 minutes ago
On Line Turn Based Cheating
by kaynight 3 minutes ago
The only reason Fischer became world champ
by Reb 6 minutes ago
Fatal Mistake of the Day
by X_PLAYER_J_X 22 minutes ago
Sideline responses to Nimzo-Indian?
by Reb 22 minutes ago
why didn't chigorin become world champ
by Reb 30 minutes ago
Why is Stockfish making this obviously bad move?
by Tatzelwurm 33 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2015 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!