13152 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
If I start a new game directly from the online chess main page I can specify my opponent rating.
However, if I want to start a game from a specific position I cannot.
Under "show more options" there's the starting position but I no longer have the option to set my opponent's rating range.
This is extremely annoying because I would like to practice some openings with people who know them, but as soon as I launch the game in literally 1 second the challenge is already taken by somebody 300 points lower than me. So I have no chance to practice because they know zero opening theory.
I'd like to be able to choose the rating range of my opponent even starting a game from a specific position. Thanks.
Step by Step
1. Click on Play at the top left of the page, then choose online chess in the drop down
2. in the box to the right below the adds and allurts is a box with a few options like "Home" and "Start New Game" click on "Start New Game"
3. (The above U already knew proberbly) in the box choose opponent make sure it's set to random at the left and the min rating is "ur current rating" and the max is empty.
4. Below this make sure it's set to standard chess in the first drop down, then click on "Show more options" (The tick box below) This will open a new drop down called "Choose starting position" choose any opening U want from the list
5. I reccomend you give the game a name (In the box just below choosing a starting positions) like testing opening.
Oh thank you!
The step I was failing is number 3. I didn't notice the button "random" on the left, where I can set what I want.
An amazing chess romance
by Sacrifice101 a few minutes ago
11/24/2015 - In The Middle
by Ns0mniaK a few minutes ago
does one need high iq to succeed in chess?
by btickler a few minutes ago
by latvianlover 4 minutes ago
Find your REAL ELO rating: ELOMETER.NET then post here the results
by logozar 6 minutes ago
Is it polite to resign when hope is lost?
by delcarpenter 10 minutes ago
I've never studied openings
by RookSacrifice 10 minutes ago
Millionaire Chess 2!!
by Steve11537 15 minutes ago
Openings you've given a good try but discarded.
by dpnorman 15 minutes ago
by logozar 31 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2015 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!