Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

i looked at the new format

• 2 years ago · Quote · #121

arborvitian

I'm on the fence.  I've wasted a few hours poking around and figuring things out, and I can mostly get back to chess and ignore the interface now.  Mostly.  If there were a "go back to the way things used to be" option, I'd press that button in two seconds and never look back.  I don't see anything in the "new and improved" interface yet that really strikes me as a true improvement.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #122

Cystem_Phailure

For me, the forum pages are taking more than a minute before they display the comment box, while everything else is already loaded much earlier.  And sometimes then the comment box displays the raw HTML code of the preachy message instead of the properly formatted preachy message.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #123

JonathanCElliott

Is there any option to switch to the old format on an individual level?  I looked under "View how chess.com looks", but I didn't see an option there for that, only about how the boards and pieces look.

I need it the old way, please, at least as an individual option.  In order for my experiment to work according to the original rules, I need to be able to see the 10 oldest open games on a single screen, no scrolling, with the antenna symbols for those players who are currently online, since I always move against them first as a courtesy.

Also not finding a way to contact the admins directly, so not sure if this is ever going to change back. Frown

• 2 years ago · Quote · #124

arborvitian

This text entry widget into which I'm typing is broken, and I lose my cursor every time I screw up and touch one of the arrow keys.  That is driving me quite nuts, and stunts like this really aren't amusing at all.  I develop software.  Sure, sometimes you release something that isn't quite baked because it's the only way to get broad feedback and deep testing, but with software, users who don't want to deal with the growing pains can just go back to using the old version until the new .1 or .2 release comes out.  Not having that option is pretty irritating.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #125

JonathanCElliott

I also give preference to games which are in 'opening mode' according to the rules of my experiment, and I can't tell which those are unless I can see the 10 oldest games in a single list on a single screen.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #126

blackfirestorm666

JonathanCElliott wrote:

I also give preference to games which are in 'opening mode' according to the rules of my experiment, and I can't tell which those are unless I can see the 10 oldest games in a single list on a single screen.

http://www.chess.com/groups/notes/chesscom-redesign-feedback

• 2 years ago · Quote · #127

JonathanCElliott

Once I've played games which are in 'opening mode', and then once I've taken care of all online opponents, the 3rd sort is that I look for anytime that I have 2 or more games against the same opponent listed among the 10 oldest, in which case I play immediately the game which has the most moves already made, in order to clean that one out first.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #128

JonathanCElliott

In sum, with the new format, I have no way of comparing the games in the list of 10 oldest, in order to see which move I want to make next.  All that I can do now is simply play the oldest open game, and there are several reasons why that messes me up.  Can we please at least have the option for the 'classic look', or whatever we want to call it??

• 2 years ago · Quote · #129

AndTheLittleOneSaid

JonathanCElliott wrote:

In sum, with the new format, I have no way of comparing the games in the list of 10 oldest, in order to see which move I want to make next.  All that I can do now is simply play the oldest open game, and there are several reasons why that messes me up.  Can we please at least have the option for the 'classic look', or whatever we want to call it??

There's a little button to the top right of your games, you can use it to switch between list view and board view.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #130

BorgQueen

• 2 years ago · Quote · #131

whitebull

Alas,  I guess we have the new format whether we like it or not. Why is it that change is seldom for the better?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #132

JonathanCElliott

Oh yeah, I forgot, something else:  With the new format, I can't tell when I'm down to 6 open games, which is how I know that I have time to start new games.  Must now wait until I am down to 5, which is much harder to achieve.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #133

AndTheLittleOneSaid

JonathanCElliott wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot, something else:  With the new format, I can't tell when I'm down to 6 open games, which is how I know that I have time to start new games.  Must now wait until I am down to 5, which is much harder to achieve.

Are you talking about your online chess? It tells you how many current games you have going at the top, shows you more than 6 games if you have them, and you have the option of switching to the old view.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #134

Cystem_Phailure

• 2 years ago · Quote · #135

BorgQueen

Well there really is no point mentioning design flaws in the new system HERE.  They have a group for that, yet people STILL keep posting issues here...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #136

blackfirestorm666

BorgQueen wrote:

Well there really is no point mentioning design flaws in the new system HERE.  They have a group for that, yet people STILL keep posting issues here...

Simply because its a "private group for those giving feedback" A few of us have applied and yet to be accepted

• 2 years ago · Quote · #137

whitebull

AndTheLittleOneSaid wrote:
    JonathanCElliott wrote:

There's a little button to the top right of your games, you can use it to switch between list view and board view.

Thanks for that.  It works!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #138

Cystem_Phailure

BorgQueen wrote:

Several people have received answers to problems/issues they have posted here.  Why does that bother you?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #139

unohoo

Looks like it may be time to check other sites

• 2 years ago · Quote · #140

Elroch

Another daft feature of the new format: group home pages now don't display admin names, merely little pictures. My guess is that daftness alone will not be enough to reverse such a pointless change.

I have come to the conclusion that there is an underlying theme of obfuscation in the changes that have been made.

Incidentally, the first I knew there was even a new interface under development was when I saw it had changed today.

Post your reply: