Forums

i looked at the new format

Sort:
blackfirestorm

And throughout the day this is only going to get worse as more people log in.

blackfirestorm

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/public-vote-new-format-or-old-format

amrita1
twidey wrote:

it's hard to tell when your next game is ready...i like the old format

I agree !

erikido23

Hmmm.....I just realized I have to highlight the text to make it appear...Hopefully that will change

billgill0

Why was it forced on us all? I am a paid up member and did not even know it was going to happen. I dont like the changes and I dont like paying for something I dont like. so Erik can I have my membership money returned as I have only just paid and then I dont care what changes you make.

whitebull

Just this morning, an open seek asked me if she and I had played before.  I could not find the answer in the new format. Anyone know how?

Cystem_Phailure
LaskerFan wrote:

Suggestions to all

If you were using a particular theme, or using none at all, go to your Home->Acount->Styles and Themes and start previewing themes which look good. Select that and start using it.

You will find that 50% of your woes will go away.

Not for a while, and maybe not at all.  They've now disabled all themes while they "fix" what they look like.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
whitebull wrote:

Just this morning, an open seek asked me if she and I had played before.  I could not find the answer in the new format. Anyone know how?

You could enter her name into the search members box in your games archive and see if you get any results.

chessplayer11

I feel sorry for those that pay for this. Seems every year they make some change that no one asked for and you need to adjust to the new and "improved" way all over again. They say it's better. Then why isn't it intuitive. Facebook has a timeline. Like it or not, it's intuitive. Plus you can use the original format still. This act makes no sense.

They say in their bulletin to give this a week. It took them a year to get it to this clearly broken state that obviously won't get fixed soon considering how long they took to make this. (Didn't know How to design Website for Dummies was such a long read :)

If they actually thought this was a Release Candidate when they released it, why would I like this in a week? I like things that work correctly.

Their best course of action is to revert back to the old format. Fixed the blatantly obvious glitches, and then try to reintroduce this.

What they should have done to start with was make changes a bit at a time, and gotten feedback on those and fixed them as they went.

This is like New Coke all over again. It won in taste tests, but no one liked that they didn't have a choice or even a transitional period to adjust. Guess what happened? People did have a choice; they dropped Coke for that time period. I don't see this going much different from the sheer number of people that are paying members saying they are seriously considering not renewing.

They are waiting for the bugs to get fixed. Remember... this was a year of effort in the making according to them. At that rate don't count on any significant bug fixes anytime soon.

whitebull

Give us our history back and I can work with this:  things like "my games against", "status", etc. 

JerryT65202

It`s too confusing for an oldtimer.Tell me how to cancel my subscription.

furtiveking
chessplayer11 wrote:

I feel sorry for those that pay for this. Seems every year they make some change that no one asked for and you need to adjust to the new and "improved" way all over again. They say it's better. Then why isn't it intuitive. Facebook has a timeline. Like it or not, it's intuitive. Plus you can use the original format still. This act makes no sense.

They say in their bulletin to give this a week. It took them a year to get it to this clearly broken state that obviously won't get fixed soon considering how long they took to make this. (Didn't know How to design Website for Dummies was such a long read :)

If they actually thought this was a Release Candidate when they released it, why would I like this in a week? I like things that work correctly.

Their best course of action is to revert back to the old format. Fixed the blatantly obvious glitches, and then try to reintroduce this.

What they should have done to start with was make changes a bit at a time, and gotten feedback on those and fixed them as they went.

This is like New Coke all over again. It won in taste tests, but no one liked that they didn't have a choice or even a transitional period to adjust. Guess what happened? People did have a choice; they dropped Coke for that time period. I don't see this going much different from the sheer number of people that are paying members saying they are seriously considering not renewing.

They are waiting for the bugs to get fixed. Remember... this was a year of effort in the making according to them. At that rate don't count on any significant bug fixes anytime soon.

You bring up Facebook's time line, but, there are a few things you are wrong about it. First... it may be optional for now, but it won't be for long. Second, from a design theory standpoint, it's actually a TERRIBLE design, and completely opposite from the new design here. The Timeline has too many things going on, and is not a clear design. Where as this one might be different from what folks are used to, but is actually a pretty clear design once you get used to it.

Also, as with all software design, the more complicated it is, the more bugs its going to have. And, chess.com is a VERY complicated site, much moreso than Facebook. There is so much going on here and so many moving parts that keeping track of it all would make your head spin. There is no way to release a design like this and NOT have problems. It's just not possible, and when you say things like " It took them a year to get it to this clearly broken state that obviously won't get fixed soon considering how long they took to make this." You show that you have no idea what is involved in a project like this. Just because it took a year to design and impliment doesn't mean that it will take another year to get the bugs worked out. It won't.

chessplayer11
jt65202 wrote:

It`s too confusing for an oldtimer.Tell me how to cancel my subscription.

http://www.chess.com/home/cancellation.html?type=membership

chessplayer11
furtiveking wrote:

You bring up Facebook's time line, but, there are a few things you are wrong about it. First... it may be optional for now, but it won't be for long. Second, from a design theory standpoint, it's actually a TERRIBLE design, and completely opposite from the new design here. The Timeline has too many things going on, and is not a clear design. Where as this one might be different from what folks are used to, but is actually a pretty clear design once you get used to it.

Also, as with all software design, the more complicated it is, the more bugs its going to have. And, chess.com is a VERY complicated site, much moreso than Facebook. There is so much going on here and so many moving parts that keeping track of it all would make your head spin. There is no way to release a design like this and NOT have problems. It's just not possible, and when you say things like " It took them a year to get it to this clearly broken state that obviously won't get fixed soon considering how long they took to make this." You show that you have no idea what is involved in a project like this. Just because it took a year to design and impliment doesn't mean that it will take another year to get the bugs worked out. It won't.

Well, I never used timeline, but just from what I've seen I haven't had any trouble understanding what i was looking at. I don't particularly like FB anyway. If you paid more attention to my post, you'd see that I focus more on the bugs rather than the layout. I'm not concerned with how complicated the site is. Fact remains that they released an obvious buggy format. If it takes me a few minutes to find about dozen bugs on a single page, then they should have been able to spots those as well. There's simply no reason to have released it before it was ready. We're not talking about a few extremely rare glitches that could only be found in a public release. This new layout is the buggiest site I have ever known at the level of popularity it's at. (Actually I estimated that it will take them about 2-3 months to remove most of the prominent bugs)

I'm guessing you work at both chess.com and fb since you know about the underlying code?

As for your last statement, you do realize that they never fixed quite a few bugs in the old version ever. Calling a bug a feature isn't a realistic way of solving the problem.

Cystem_Phailure

I guess all of us that have complaints about some of the things that don't work or have new stupid designs are wrong.  Chess.com just sent a message saying the new changes are all wonderful, and between the lines it basically says those who complain are just people who can't adjust to change.

furtiveking
chessplayer11 wrote:

I'm guessing you work at both chess.com and fb since you know about the underlying code?

As for your last statement, you do realize that they never fixed quite a few bugs in the old version ever. Calling a bug a feature isn't a realistic way of solving the problem.

I don't work here anymore, but I am the QA Lead for another software company.

There weren't any serious bugs in the last version. A few minor glitches here and there, but most sites have those. 

chessplayer11
furtiveking wrote:
chessplayer11 wrote:

I don't work here anymore, but I am the QA Lead for another software company.

There weren't any serious bugs in the last version. A few minor glitches here and there, but most sites have those. 

QA well that explains a lot. Have you read the comments? It appears there are literally hundreds of different bugs that are being reported. iPhone users can't even use the site it would seem. Don't you think it was a bit of an oversight to have not tested it out on an iPhone.

I don't expect a new layout to be bug free, but this is absurd. So unless there was some urgent need to release this layout right now, what was the reason to roll out such an obviously unfinished product and tell people to just deal with it while they work on it?

furtiveking
chessplayer11 wrote:

QA well that explains a lot. Have you read the comments? It appears there are literally hundreds of different bugs that are being reported. iPhone users can't even use the site it would seem. Don't you think it was a bit of an oversight to have not tested it out on an iPhone.

I don't expect a new layout to be bug free, but this is absurd. So unless there was some urgent need to release this layout right now, what was the reason to roll out such an obviously unfinished product and tell people to just deal with it while they work on it?

I have read the comments. I would argue that having hundreads of people reporting a few bugs (which no one denies exist) is not the same as having 100s of bugs.

As for the iPhone thing, I can't speak too much to that, since I have an Android. But, I will say that in general, there are a lot of modern websites that have issues with smartphones and even tablet computers. This is why those sites release seperate apps for those devices. Chess.com has an iPhone app, and people should use that. I would never expect this site to work in the browser of my phone.

chessplayer1101
furtiveking wrote:
chessplayer11 wrote:

I have read the comments. I would argue that having hundreads of people reporting a few bugs (which no one denies exist) is not the same as having 100s of bugs.

As for the iPhone thing, I can't speak too much to that, since I have an Android. But, I will say that in general, there are a lot of modern websites that have issues with smartphones and even tablet computers. This is why those sites release seperate apps for those devices. Chess.com has an iPhone app, and people should use that. I would never expect this site to work in the browser of my phone.

A few? I found about a dozen in TT alone before I quit looking for new ones. I suppose that the iPhone not working at all could be considered just one bug. I don't have an iPhone either. I'm just reading the comments.

The issues people are having with the smartphones are related to the rollout it would seem.

This site has an app for the Android.

GhostNight

At the bottom of the screen is a little pawn, and is says, "Unlock all of chess.com" What does that do??