Forums

New sound system

Sort:
KerrsGambit

A lot of people in the chat have been complaining about the new sounds in live chess. I suggest that it would be nice if you could pick between sound types, like you can pick between board colour and pieces, would solve a lot of problems for some of the people that don't like the new system and prefer the old.

Gozu

Agreed, the new sounds are awful.

KerrsGambit

I didn't say it was awful, It would just be a nice feature to be able to change sound types like you can board colour and piece style.

DeepGreene
KerrsGambit wrote:

I didn't say it was awful, It would just be a nice feature to be able to change sound types like you can board colour and piece style.

We have a ticket for that! But not an ETA. Also, it's something we'd want to launch with at least 2-3 new themes to choose from, and it's not an easy thing to get right! :D

KerrsGambit
DeepGreene wrote:
KerrsGambit wrote:

We have a ticket for that! But not an ETA. Also, it's something we'd want to launch with at least 2-3 new themes to choose from, and it's not an easy thing to get right! :D

Ah lovely, thank you for the feedback!

vulgarpaal

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

drturbo

yeah that would be a good solution! ;-)

Rock-of-Gibraltor

You call these world class sounds. Eric! why are you ruining your site yourself. Eric ,you should fire the person who suggested you to put up these board sounds. Please save chess.com if you can.

chess.com lover

UniqueGiant

The new sounds are god-awful. What are you people doing?

MissUnique

The new sounds are most unusual. Firstly, white and black have different pitches. Surely the sound to move a piece should always be the same. Secondly, the sound for check is less prominent than the sounds for general moves. Perhaps I am change-averse. However, as a fee-paying member of chess.com, I would prefer the original sounds to be reinstated.

DimagMota

The new sounds are disgusting. They are like as if somebody is beating a hollow tin box. The worst upgradation. Thanks I am not a paid member bound to listen these ghastly sounds.

robindbk

I am member for 2 years now. I am not a paid member so I can only request you that please reinstate the old sounds. The new sounds are very distracting and not pleasing to hear.

MartyMcFly1985

I completely agree.  The new sounds are very irritating and take away from the enjoyment of the game.  It's such a shame because other than the new sounds, this is a wonderful website to play chess on.  Bring back the old sounds and leave it that way....PLEASE!!!!!!

BigHickory

How about having an option in setup to turn off sound completely?  I like to listen to music on my PC while playing chess and the sounds make the music much less enjoyable.

JebboQueenside

The new sounds are horrible, a couple themes to choose from would be great.  How about one that's the same as the older version, but says "check" and "checkmate" when the board is such.

LethalWeapon1

The new sounds are annoying.The sounds you have installed are found in other chess websites as well. But the older sounds set chess.com apart from other chess websites. why did you change them? who told you to change? what is so special about the new sounds. They are so disgusting.

kiltking1

what did you change the sounds for, its crap crap crap like taking a crap.Yell 

http_www

The new sounds suck.

thecheesykid

Why in the love of chess did they make the board smaller?

Whose bright idea was that? "Oh... you know what these chess players need...? To have to squint to make out the pieces."

"Yes, that sounds like a wonderful idea, let's do that. Programmers... we want you to shrink the board."

"What!?"
"Yknow... make it smaller, we really want to make it so that as many people as possible get to be p*ssed off over not being able to see the current position they're in."

"Ummm... kay." #types some code#

"Also... add in these awful sound effects in replacement to the ones everyone is used to and currently don't hate."

"Are you.... sure about these changes?"

"Oh there's more... please make it so that when someone clicks "Show more" on the live games section that it goes to all the correspondance games that the player has first, because that's obviously what they all want to look at... right?"

"Not... really... no"

"Well... do it anyway."

"..."

"We also want the new symbol for bullet chess to look like a massive dong coming out of a chess board."

"... oh for ^$*"*%^ "

Hades

At the risk of being verbally assualted by the pitchfork crowd, the new sounds aren't THAT bad. Give your ears and mind some time to adjust to them and you will forget they were ever changed.