Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Rating System for "Daily Puzzle" Posts

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

IncrediBill

Re:  Suggested Programming Change for the Daily Puzzle

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

Thanks for all your hard work.  Keep it up.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

royaljelly

I like your idea, IncrediBill.  I often fumble through the daily puzzles and would very much appreciate easy access to some insightful/educational comments regarding the logic of the moves, rather than the sea of "notice-me" posts (& the ensuing insults).

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Remi-le-surfeur

Yeah. Good idea !

Finished with "First" and welcome to additionnal explanations when needed : )

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

iamverita

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

PaoloPinkel

Get it done! No pointless comments nomore, would be such a treat.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

MarMu

Great idea!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

raiderluver

The sooner, the better!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

Deranged

Here here *raises glass*

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

puzzlescot

Even when I suggested this in February (http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/thumbs-updown-suggestion) I was told this is not the first time users have demanded this. quote: "the suggestion has already been debated to death in previous threads"

However, the dev team seem incapable of implementing this, but have time to mess around with board layouts, for which I couldn't give 2 hoots!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

E-Kuko

Thumbs up for this idea. No matter would it be implemented or not. :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

gatorce

Yes, please do something.  For those of us who actually attempt to use the comments and analysis given to improve our own game, the comments of "simple," "first," "second," etcetera are very annoying.  If they continue to "spam" the comment section with usless jibberish, maybe their memberships should be revoked.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

haha1508

Surely this would help people get more information more easily, so why the "debate" as to do it or not?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

Kraus

Thoroughly agree that something needs to be done - thanks for raising this issue IncrediBill.

Not sure about a rating system though (nice idea in principle, but couldn't idiots give top ratings to other stupid posts?).  Volunteer moderators might be the only genuine solution.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

paulified22

IncrediBill wrote:

Re:  Suggested Programming Change for the Daily Puzzle

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

Thanks for all your hard work.  Keep it up.

someone suggested,using method they use to dellet comment,any quotes with just first page,could be filtered out,but you must give pleyers option to still be able to use first and page,but not in that manner                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

vman14

I think an excellent way to do it would be to have a simple upvote/downvote system much like on reddit.com. Each member would have the ability to vote once on each post, either up or down. The points each post would have would be a simple difference between upvotes and downvotes. Thus, the posts near the top would be the ones most approved by the majority of members, and the spam/useless posts would sink to the bottom.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

paulified22

gatorce wrote:

Yes, please do something.  For those of us who actually attempt to use the comments and analysis given to improve our own game, the comments of "simple," "first," "second," etcetera are very annoying.  If they continue to "spam" the comment section with usless jibberish, maybe their memberships should be revoked.

people pay to post,i think direct quotes such as "first page"in that sequense,cuold be filtered out!sound resonable?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #17

dufferps

Good idea.  -  like most auto-filtering systems, there will be imperfections - false positives and false negatives.  The filters/ratings can be refined, but at each step the spammers ("first"ers, "easy"ers, "good puzzle"ers ....) will find loopholes.  And if it is simply based on keywords, some good posts, such as IncrediBill's above that has the imbedded word "first", might get downgraded. 

That said, it is still worth a try.  It will shove a lot of "junk" to the bottom, and improve our experience.

It wouldn't be bad to have a moderator who COULD review the posts and fix ratings of some that got higher or lower ratings than they really deserved.  The moderator wouldn't have to be on the job all the time, just some trustworthy participant or programmer who could at times make corrections and update the filter to do a better job and keep up with spammers figuring ways to beat the system.

---------------

A further thought....

I can imagine that part of the filtering algorithm might be the identity of the poster -- A borderline/questionable post might get bumped down to a lower category if the poster has a history of low rated posts, or might get bumped up into a higher category, if the poster has a history of posting high-rated comments.

How many rating levels are we thinking of?  2? a few? many?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #18

Akivaluke

Nope, I dont think this is a good idea because if you say a puzzle is bad, you might hurt daily puzzles ffeeeeeeeeeelings---------

• 3 years ago · Quote · #19

n00less_cluebie

19th Reply!   W00t!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #20

Akivaluke

Just kidding

[Comment Deleted]

dff

ff

Post your reply: