Forums

Stop it with this auto-abandon!

Sort:
plutonia

I lost 2 games today because of this auto-abandon feature.

My wireless connection has problems, so I lost connection. I managed to connect in about 1 minute in the first case and in less than 30 seconds in the other (but quickly running downstairs where there's better reception).

Both were 15|5 games so I had plenty of time!

I must have had like 10 minutes remaning on my clock, and the game even has increments!

So why should I lose a game like that. It's unfair that I lose a game before my time runs out, technically I should be able to do anything I want with my time.

I know this is a sloppy attempt to contrast those who just disconnect in a lost position, but it makes no sense. If I see my opponent disconnected in a lost position I know it and I don't wait until the game is abandoned, I just start a new one. So the auto-abandon punishes more the legitimate users.

At least in live standard, it makes no sense that it auto-abandons when I still had more than enough time to reconnect and play the game.

And in case you're wondering, in both games I was better.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=452507017

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=452495129

NimzoRoy

Contact the staff directly via Help & Support. Don't count on them to read anything, much less everything that gets posted in a forum.

AndyClifton

(image removed - kindly don't hijack/derail )

plutonia

and it happened again. Game lost with a piece ahead and 5 mins on the clock.

only because there are a couple of whiners who cry if they have to wait 3 secs before starting a new game, they put bullshit rules that damage the legitimate users.

Sunofthemorninglight

it's a very upper class echelon of professionals that play on chess.com.

if a modem disconnects, it's like "aha!! some dude's tryin' t' troll yours truly by disconnecting! yah the troll will be nabbed by the 1-minute timer, nyuk nyuk nyuk .... so long dude!"

torpesian

Is it when you disconnect/lose connection that this happens does t happen if you are perceived to be taking too long to think. Either way it is a stupid rule. A time control is a time control and as long as you remain within it you should still be in the game. I won a game once when this type of thing happened I had been waiting for about 30 seconds to a minute and then I got a message that I'd won, I assumed until now that the other chap must has resigned or something, but clearly he probably just lost connection. How ridiculous is that?

ClavierCavalier

Those games sure don't look like the typical abandon places.  I've seen very few games lost due to abandons when the position is equal or better for the other player.  I've seen many people lose by abandonment when they're lost on board.  This is unfortunate, but it's why chess.com has the automatic abandon for disconnects.

I thought the timer was 2 minutes?

ClavierCavalier

I'm actually greatful for some of the auto time outs for people taking too long.  This is where this game stoped, and I'm glad I didn't have to wait 29 minutes for it to end.

DrFrank124c

I agree, I have Verizon DSL and everytime I get a phone call, the DSL service is interrupted. It comes back in a minute or so and this should not make much of a diff in 30 minute games. But I have been penalized  and some of my games were lost due to the "abandon" thing. This is not right and something should be done. I am a paying member and I may decide to just let my membership run out and not renew.

ClavierCavalier

I've never heard of people complaining about such with DSL, but I've never used it, so I don't know if that's common or not.  It might be something to take up with your providers and not with chess.com.

plutonia
ClavierCavalier wrote:

Those games sure don't look like the typical abandon places.  I've seen very few games lost due to abandons when the position is equal or better for the other player.  I've seen many people lose by abandonment when they're lost on board.  This is unfortunate, but it's why chess.com has the automatic abandon for disconnects.

I thought the timer was 2 minutes?

That's right, people who fraudulently disconnect do so when the position is lost beyond repair. Because it is clear that they abandon, you could just start a new game or do something else. You are awarded the win anyway, only, few minutes later.

Your example of a 30 minute game is unusual; I could agree that for such time controls there could be space for an auto-abandon feature but the times have to be reviewed and substantially increased.

If I play a 15 minutes game it would not be unusual to spend 5 minutes or even more in a critical moment. Time management is part of the game of chess. Now I always play with the anxiety that I have allocated only a max amount of time per move (that nobody knows what it is) and this is absurd. Torpesian, it auto-abandons even if you're still connected; otherwise it wouldn't make much sense because a quitter could just switch tab in his browser.

ClavierCavalier

There have been many times I've seen people let their last 15 minutes of their 30 run out in a lost position.  I think it times out after 10 minutes, maybe more.  I've never seen the auto-abandon due to time in a won position in a 30 minute game.  I've seen abandons due to disconnect in such positions, so perhaps that time needs to be increased.

MaestroChocho

"...time needs to be increased."

Yes, please. I've lost games won.

DrFrank124c
MaestroChocho wrote:

"...time needs to be increased."

Yes, please. I've lost games won.

Amen.

pwwaring
NimzoRoy wrote:

Contact the staff directly via Help & Support. Don't count on them to read anything, much less everything that gets posted in a forum.

But they SHOULD read everything posted in "Site Feedback & Suggestions", especially the original post, or else this particular forum should simply not exist...

demongate

I just lost a blitz game with 1:15 left. Please disable this feature on blitz game at least. I don't care waiting 2 minutes to get a win if the other leave or disconnect... What is the limit of time per move on a 3 minutes games? the auto abandon feature is a nonsense. Why I cannot use my time as I wish? Is this also applicable in tournament game? I don't understand the reason behind.