Forums

Technical Difficulties

Sort:
Metal-Horde

When I play a human vs. CPU game of any setting, everything's fine yet whenever I play a live game competing with other players, my troubles begin. When I play white, the cursor just drags the piece around being incapable of placing it. When I play black, I can move my first piece when my opponent moves theirs but after that, I can't move my pieces anymore. I've attempted to repair this by simply restarting my browser (Chrome) but this was of no avail. I've found little on the forums regarding this issue except one small reference which recommended rebooting the cache (F5). Unfortunately, this didn't work either. Everything was working excellently a couple of days ago. But now, day after day, I'm unable to continue playing live chess on Chess.com; I'd be much obliged if anyone could offer their help in fixing this bug/glitch. Thank you.

artfizz

Do you have the same problem when using other browsers? (There have been a number of reported issues with Chrome lately unable to move pieces  e.g. does-anybody-have-problems-with-chesscom-by-using-google-chrome.)

Metal-Horde

artfizz, the only other browser I have on this laptop is Internet Explorer and I honestly don't want to use it because of its incredible lag, slowness and so on. I tried to log on to chess.com with Inernet Explorer but the page froze before I could! Either way, I just want to find a solution to my problems via Chrome. Some of the people in the thread you kindly gave said that they had no problem with Chrome while others said that they had immense problems. Thanks a lot for your help ;).

artfizz
FisherIncarnated wrote:

artfizz, the only other browser I have on this laptop is Internet Explorer and I honestly don't want to use it because of its incredible lag, slowness and so on. I tried to log on to chess.com with Inernet Explorer but the page froze before I could! Either way, I just want to find a solution to my problems via Chrome. Some of the people in the thread you kindly gave said that they had no problem with Chrome while others said that they had immense problems. Thanks a lot for your help ;).

Clearly everyone's experience is different. I had been using Chrome with chess.com for a long time without problems, but recently I sometimes encounter games where I can't move. I always try out different browsers (IE, Safari, Firefox) looking for a quick workaround and trying to shed more light on the symptoms - whilst I investigate the underlying issue. In my case, disabling one plug-in seems to have sorted out Chrome.

Is it feasible for you to download a different browser for experimentation?

Metal-Horde

Of course it is. However, I'm not very open to it. Chrome's just about the most efficient browser on this obsolete 2008 laptop. If you don't mind me asking, which plug-in did you disable resulting in success?

artfizz

WiseConvert (toolbar). I had only two plug-ins/extensions so it wasn't difficult to identify the problematic one by a process of elimination.

Other people have reported problems with AdBlock and Utorrent. It may be worth temporarily disabling all of your Chrome extensions to see whether that helps.

Metal-Horde

Thanks for your help, I've resolved this issue doing something similar to what you did. It turned out that an accessory to my Chrome browser (one of those useless toolbars you're forced to download along with something else) was causing the problems here on Chess.com; Everything's returned to normal. Thanks again for your help and hopefully we can battle sometime.