Forums

You should stop lying about your premium users

Sort:
Fruglemonkey

So, is it peter, or Jeremy Sumpter?

Also, your site FAQ leads to a 404. 

dA_pIFSTER

forget chess if getting premium could make me that good looking i would totally pay

johnmusacha

I do not understand the OP's point.

Can someone break it down for me in baby steps?

Is "Jeremy Sumpter" someone you are assuming we should know?  Keep in mind that I just found out who Taylor Swift was two days ago.

SiDebanks

Sick tabs open in explorer brag

johnmusacha

Oh I see now.  That is pretty funny.

Who is Jeremy Sumpter?

soldier9599

This is pretty typical for marketing in general. It's like using actors in a commercial. Call it unethical if you'd like, but it's a pointless exercise. Any advertisements should be viewed with extreme skepticism because they usually bend the truth.

Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!
johnmusacha
soldier9599 wrote:

This is pretty typical for marketing in general. It's like using actors in a commercial. Call it unethical if you'd like, but it's a pointless exercise. Any advertisements should be viewed with extreme skepticism because they usually bend the truth.

It's not that typical.  Has the actor been compenstated for his image being used to promote the site?

Why not just find some good looking actual members then ask them if it's ok to use their photos on the front page?

That's a bit cheaper than using the photo of a semi-well-known actor (granted I had no idea who he was until just now).

Sekvent

Is it just me or I really do not think the picture on chess.com actually resembles the actor at all? They do have the same hair style but even the color of it is not the same....

Segway_Enthusiast

They can use my picture, I wouldn't mind.  I'd be flattered, and so should Jeremy.

asvpcurtis

you guys do realise that the likely senario is that a user had that picture of jeremy sumpter as his profile picture when they were reccomending tactics trainer

johnmusacha

Yeah it's him.  The photo is also here in some creepy collage:

http://www.glogster.com/cortneyrox/jeremy-sumpter/g-6mo73096gmcnektf2ttola0

johnmusacha
p-wnattack wrote:

you guys do realise that the likely senario is that a user had that picture of jeremy sumpter as his profile picture when they were reccomending tactics trainer

No.  Pics or it didn't happen.

notmtwain

Congrats on rediscovering this.

I also found links to a photograph called "The Chess Player" by Jeremy Sumpter. I think it's pretty cool.

johnmusacha

And the same bogus ad is still being used two years later?  That's crazy!

Yeah I just checked here: http://www.chess.com/membership?c=navbar

That is creepy.  Super creepy.

For at least two years they've used a relatively well known actor's face in some phony testimonial as "Peter" from Germany.

erik

doh! not a phony testimonial(we posted a call for testimonials 5 years ago and i do think it was legit), but probably a phony user avatar. lame. sorry. 

so, provide us with a real testimonial we can use instead! 

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/love-chesscom-tell-me-why

Segway_Enthusiast

Is the POP email advertised here still available or is that a "phony avatar" situation too?