Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Las Vegas Open 2010


  • 5 years ago · Quote · #1

    stats_man

    Chess, gambling, great shows!!!

    http://www.vegaschessfestival.com/

    Last year I won enough gambling and prize money to more then pay for trip.

    I will be the tall guy wearing some sort of Boston Red Sox's apparell stressing over king safety. Last year I met Erik, endgame_clothing, and drew in the tournament against a player I now play here (you are welcome Erik).

    Let me know if you are attending, especially if I know you here, or come up and introduce yourself.

    Isaac

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #3

    stats_man

    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

    I thought it was called the National Open. If we're talking about the same thing, I'm probably going this year. I turned down the tournament this weekend near Oakland with my eye on the National Open. I can see my old teacher, for one!


     Yep Ozzie, it is the Open.

    I go every year and it is my favorite tournament as I can go from the thrill of the chess game to the thrill of the gamble within 5 minutes.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #5

    stats_man

    I am more of a slot machine guy. Last year I had an incredible run where every dollar I put in came back 5 fold.

    One particular night the fiance (then girlfriend) had enough for the day put I put in $5 on 100-draw poker on our way to room (5 cents a hand). Up comes 3 aces which meant that every ace that came up in the hundred hands after discarding was worth 4000 pennies ($40). As we would expect 6 aces came up in the hundred hands and I walked back to room with an additional $220.

    Another time on same trip I almost was late to tournament game as I scored 50 free spins and then during the 50 spins I won 50 MORE free spins.

    Although probability has no memory, I am sure this year the slot machines will get some back.

    I know it goes against my user name and training, but there is nothing so satisfying as a dollar earned gambling.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #6

    corrijean

    stats_man wrote:

    I am more of a slot machine guy. Last year I had an incredible run where every dollar I put in came back 5 fold.

    One particular night the fiance (then girlfriend) had enough for the day put I put in $5 on 100-draw poker on our way to room (5 cents a hand). Up comes 3 aces which meant that every ace that came up in the hundred hands after discarding was worth 4000 pennies ($40). As we would expect 6 aces came up in the hundred hands and I walked back to room with an additional $220.

    Another time on same trip I almost was late to tournament game as I scored 50 free spins and then during the 50 spins I won 50 MORE free spins.

    Although probability has no memory, I am sure this year the slot machines will get some back.

    I know it goes against my user name and training, but there is nothing so satisfying as a dollar earned gambling.


    That was fun!!  I really enjoyed the spa day you were generous enough to give me out of the proceeds of all your gambling.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #7

    stats_man

    corrijean wrote:
    stats_man wrote:

    I am more of a slot machine guy. Last year I had an incredible run where every dollar I put in came back 5 fold.

    One particular night the fiance (then girlfriend) had enough for the day put I put in $5 on 100-draw poker on our way to room (5 cents a hand). Up comes 3 aces which meant that every ace that came up in the hundred hands after discarding was worth 4000 pennies ($40). As we would expect 6 aces came up in the hundred hands and I walked back to room with an additional $220.

    Another time on same trip I almost was late to tournament game as I scored 50 free spins and then during the 50 spins I won 50 MORE free spins.

    Although probability has no memory, I am sure this year the slot machines will get some back.

    I know it goes against my user name and training, but there is nothing so satisfying as a dollar earned gambling.


    That was fun!!  I really enjoyed the spa day you were generous enough to give me out of the proceeds of all your gambling.


     You looked like you yearned for cucumber paste on your face, plus it bought me more time to gamble...hehehe

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #8

    Matter

    Ill see you there man, althought i cant collect the price money when i take first place lol

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #9

    stats_man

    Matter wrote:

    Ill see you there man, althought i cant collect the price money when i take first place lol


     Why not?

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #10

    Matter

    Im a student and if i still want to play in school related chess tournaments i cant take the money... Sucks huhh

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #11

    stats_man

    Matter wrote:

    Im a student and if i still want to play in school related chess tournaments i cant take the money... Sucks huhh


     You can donate it to me. What is your section?

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #12

    Skwerly

    i used to try and go every year, too, but the last couple have been pretty poor ones for me lol.  i may try once more this year.  the december one is my favorite because i hate heat, but the summer one works, too.  the chicks wear nice stuff ;). 

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #13

    Conflagration_Planet

    Cripes! I've never seen so many chess heads in one place!

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #14

    Matter

    Its open or nothing

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #15

    Yankee1

    You know I'll be there. Last year was a blast Blackjack and Chess who can complain. You remember my father in the wheelchair. He won 2200 on the roulette wheel...ON 3 SPINS!!! Freak luck.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #16

    stats_man

    Yankee1 wrote:

    You know I'll be there. Last year was a blast Blackjack and Chess who can complain. You remember my father in the wheelchair. He won 2200 on the roulette wheel...ON 3 SPINS!!! Freak luck.


     I remember that you had a good gambling run as well.

    I also remember that poisoned pawn you left "hanging" in our draw. I almost took it...lol.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #17

    Patzer24

    Yeah, I will be going to the Las Vegas Chess Festival in June. I actually went to the North American Open back in December in Vegas and had a great time. If you find me there come say hi. I will be the guy wearing my Chess.com gear.

    PS, I might be looking for someone for a hotel share at the tournament hotel for 4 nights (June 9-12)

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #18

    stats_man

    Just bumping my own thread.

    Only 1.5 weeks to go and I am taking another roll call.

    Anybody else playing in the simul against Akobian?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #20

    stats_man

    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

    I'm entered in the main event and the blitz. Wanted to play the g/10, but 100$ is too expensive, relative to the 200$ for the main event. Add to the extra night at hotel (50$ is cheap.. for a room.. but 150$ for a g/10 is too much).

    You heard it here first: If I have clinched the FM title before the last round, I am withdrawing. :-)


     If you see a tall guy wearing some sort of Red Sox (baseball team) related items or a chess.com shirt then there is a 99% chance that this is me and thus feel free to come up and say "hi."


Back to Top

Post your reply: