Forums

Rating Ranges

Sort:
Billium248

I am running a tournament with 3 different rating ranges:  >2000, 1400-1999, and <1399.  I just noticed that a player rated 1423 has registered for the Under 1400 tournament.  I didn't think this was possible.  Isn't the system supposed to say, "your rating is too high" the same way it would if your timeout percentage was too high?

Here_Is_Plenty

Maybe he was under 1400 when he registered and has slipped over now?

Edit:  I am currently 2097 playing a 1330 in a 1500-1799 tournament as I went up and he went down.

JagdeepSingh

If the tourney has not started, then its the BUG from the new face of chess.com.  Just blame ERIC !!! 

Just make a report.  That should be a help, i think

bastiaan
JagdeepSingh wrote:

If the tourney has not started, then its the BUG from the new face of chess.com.  Just blame ERIC !!! 

Just make a report.  That should be a help, i think

Do I sense a grudge here?Wink But really, I think what Here_is_Plenty says is correct, I had wondered about it a few times myself, this seemed to be the case.

vijaykulkarni

They are invite only. So this problem shouldnot arise

artfizz

You can get into the wrong rating range of a tournament:

• if you received an invitation (either as an individual or to everyone in your group)
  • if your rating has drifted between registering and start (as Here_Is_Plenty pointed out).
On a tournament I recently created, I made it explicit that I would be axing anyone outside the rating range when the tournament was ready to start ( - though I felt a bit bad about doing it). For this action, it is essential that the tournament does not AutoStart.

When you are logged in, tournaments with the wrong rating range are hidden from view in the Upcoming Tournaments list.

Billium248

Thank you everybody.  As it turns out, his rating did drop to 1399 for a day, which must have been the day he signed up.  I was slightly concerned because it was letting me join any of the tournaments (even the over 2000 when I am under 1400), but I think that's cuz I was the TD (so it must make an exception for TDs as well).  So I tried to join someone else's tournament that was outside of my range, and as Artfizz points out, they were all hidden from my view.  I could only see tournaments that I was in range for.  So I had one of my 2K friends follow the link to my under 1400 tourney and try to join, but it wouldn't let him.  So everything is in fact working correctly.  Sorry for the false alarm.