Forums

Should have advanced, but did not!

Sort:
dan277

As you can see below it clearly says 2 players advance, not 1. This may have been the second round in the tournament but it still says nowhere that only 1 player will advance.

This probably has something to do with the round only have 3 players, instead of 4. I still feel robbed of my rightful place in the tournament, as it says nowhere that only 1 player will advance. Chess.com needs updating because I'm sure that I'm not the only one that was expecting to go through.

AlCzervik

Dan, I believe there is a rule that 50% of players is the maximum that can advance in multi-round tourneys. Unless there are ties, as what happened in round one of Forts. Since there are now 9 players (instead of 8), the 2nd round was put into groups of three. This is because of the max. group size as determined by TD. If there were no ties in round one, eight players would have advanced, and there would have been two groups of four, where two can then advance to round three. So, with a group of three, the only way more than one can advance is if there are ties.

Hope this helps.

dan277

It does, but it really should say that only 1 advance. That would avoid any confusion. Thanks anyway

ivandh

Wow, dude, chill out. It's not Tata Steel.

AlCzervik

Dan, it only gets confusing when ties allow additional players to advance. The combination of the 50% rule and max. group size then may allow this type of situation. 

It certainly confuses some the first time it happens, but try to remember it for future tournys.

Stevie65
AlCzervik

wrote:

Dan, it only gets confusing when ties allow additional players to advance. The combination of the 50% rule and max. group size then may allow this type of situation. 

It certainly confuses some the first time it happens, but try to remember it for future tournys.

AlCzervik

Kohai! I didn't do it! I swear!

trysts

Why don't they just say two players will not advance out of a group with a maximum of four players? That seems to be a simple change to make in the wording so that people won't get their hopes up.

AlCzervik

Trysts, did you mean two advancing out of a group of three?

If anything, there should be a notification if ties change the parameter of two advancing. It confuses a lot of people when it happens the first time.

trysts
AlCzervik wrote:

Trysts, did you mean two advancing out of a group of three?

Hmmm....maybe it doesn't help to re-word itLaughing

"two players will not advance out of a group with a maximum of four players"

Chan_Fry

This just happened to me - there was no indication of the "50% rule", it just said three would advance (and I was third and didn't advance). Granted, I performed very poorly and probably had no business in the next round, but still was expecting to get a chance. Disappointing.